1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Any recommendations for independent auto repair shops for Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Suzanne Marie, Mar 21, 2015.

1. Suzanne Marie

Suzanne Marie New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Another brutal Chicago winter casualty: my 2012 Prius hybrid engine harness/wiring damaged by a squirrel! Car is completely undriveable - luckily was able to safely get off road after engine failed and towed to Lombard Toyota dealership, who estimates $7k to replace harness. Statefarm insurance adjuster says it can be repaired for $1175. Anyone have a recommendation for a reliable independent auto repair shop who have mechanics familiar with the Prius in the western suburbs of Chicago? Have been driving a rental car since this happened on March 9th. Doubt if any other Toyota dealership will quote anything less, or say it is repairable - they just want to replace and jack the price up, and insurance company just wants the cheapest way out. I am stuck in the middle and just devastated by this, and in need of good advice. Thanks!

2. Easy Rider 2

Easy Rider 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    With a potential 6K loss riding in the balance, you might want to consult a lawyer.

But I've had experience with Toyota wanting to replace a $1500 fender when $50 worth of body work fixed it right up.

Call around to shops in your area that specialize in automotive electrics.
    In this case, I would tend to side with the insurance company but you need some additional professional input.

3. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Check this garage out. I have not had any work done there. I got their address somewhere. Better Business Bureau rates them A Plus. McCormick Auto Care, 8250 McCormick Blvd, Skokie, IL. Phone (847) 679-7755. Also, if State Farm says it can be repaired for $1175, ask them where. Good luck. Please let us know if you have any luck with the Skokie garage.

4. Easy Rider 2

Easy Rider 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Bingo. They usually can supply someone to do the work for the stated price.
    If not, their "estimate" is worthless.