1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Any recs for refurbished or repair for multifunction console, Prius V 2012

Discussion in 'Prius v Audio and Electronics' started by Jamie L, Oct 26, 2019.

1. Jamie L

Jamie L Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Hi there, all!

We just bought a used toyota prius v, 2012, that has a faulty multifunction console. We have tried unplugging the unit from the battery, which is not fixing the problem. I am wondering if anyone has solid recs for buying a refurbished one, or for sending our unit out for repair. We are about to have our first baby and are hopeful we can get this done as cheaply as possible, with good results.

Thank you for any help you can give!

2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    First it would help to describe what exactly is not working. The whole unit with no lights or functions? I would certainly check the fuses feeding it, Pics of the unit would help as there are several used in Prius v’s that year. If its totally dead and in need of replacement, I would buy one from ebay for a few hundred dollars. Most will come from junkyard sellers but will be backed by ebay. The only concern is your profile states it is a prius v trim 5 which was a different head unit from the majority of v’s sold. Trim 5 usually had advanced safety tech and hard drive nav. I would take the car’s vin to a dealer’s part department and verify the actual trim and your head unit part numbers which may vary even in a trim 5.

#2 rjparker, Oct 27, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2019
  3. Offline

Offline Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    What are you calling a "multifunction console"? The instrument cluster?

Have you had the problem diagnosed by a Toyota dealer? What can appear to be a failure of an dashboard display can be caused by other components not sending information to the display.

If the instrument cluster itself is defective, I see new replacements of the "METER SUB-ASSY, COMBINATION" available for from $425 to $470 from online sellers.

4. Offline

Offline Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Interesting. Maybe he is talking about the head unit. The term "multifunction" is generally used by Toyota to describe a non-head unit display module that displays a variety of information.

If he's talking about the head unit, the key question is whether his Prius v Five has the Advanced Technology Package (ATP) with PCS, DRCC, etc. since it uses a different head unit than the Prius v Five without it. I've seen lots of pre-facelift (2012-2014) Prius v Five where we live but none of them have had the ATP like ours has.

I've never used them but I know that the following company repairs navigation head units: Car Audio Video Navigation Service Center - Hi-Tech Electronic Services

5. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Offline: That is why she needs to find the exact part number using her vin. The parts dept can pull up the exact car with all of its parts. Somehow I doubt she would buy a car with a bad instrument cluster but...

Right now there are 31 head units that fit my trim 3 on ebay starting at $90. Even then some came with an extension box bolted on the bottom some do not. The extension module enables the standard non-hard disk nav.

28A6C757-B590-4A76-89FE-FDFE45D08C80.jpeg 5FC04741-5CB0-44A8-8BC3-50A66C104AAA.jpeg

#5 rjparker, Oct 27, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2019
    Montgomery likes this.
  6. Jamie L

Jamie L Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Hi everyone! Thank you so much for reaching out with your help.

I will absolutely look up the trim details, as you have suggested.

The issue is that the navigation/stereo console is glitchy. Essentially, it will work for a minute, off and on, and then we will not be able to access the bluetooth, audio and setup functions - as in the push buttons on the screen will not take us there, nor the audio or setup buttons on the side of the console.

We tried unplugging it from the battery twice (longest period, 20 minutes) and also unplugged the internal and external fuses, to no avail. We were hoping that would fix it, but no. So it looks like we need to send it off for repair.

Toyota is quoting 600-800 dollars for repair. My question is - do you have any opinion as to whether to get it repaired, or a whole refurbished console and - depending on the answer to this - are there places you would recommend we go to do the repair or get a refurbished unit? I know ebay can be a place, however am concerned about getting a faulty unit.

The vin via the toyota dealership lists the following info for the Five model:
    • EJ Display Audio with Navigation and Entune - Factory
    • Display Audio w/Navigation & Entune: 6.1" Touch-Screen w/Backup Cam, AM/FM/CD w/MP3/WMA, 6 Spkrs, SXM Radio w/ 90-day Trial, HD Radio/Aux/USB & Bluetooth 60/40 Split Sliding/Reclining Fold-Down Rear Bench Seat w/Armrest & Adj Hdrests Digital Instrumentation with Trip Info SofTex-Trimmed Htd Fr Seats w/6-way Dr Seat w/Power Lumbar & 4-Way Fr Pass Seat Single-Dial Automatic Climate Control Center Console w/Armrest, Storage & Tray Rmte Keyless Entry & Push Button Start Tilt/Telescopic Steering Whl w/Controls Cruise Control, Instant MPG Indicator 3 Front & 2 Rear Cup Holders (1)Fr & (1)Cargo Area 12V Power Outlet Auto-dim Rearvw Mirror w/ HomeLink
    Let me know if I should look up more info.

Thank you for your replies so far! It is very helpful!

7. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The vin (vehicle identification number) is the numerical serial number for the car listed on a plate inside the drivers door and through the widshield, drivers side. It is usually on your insurance papers and title as well. Ebay is fine because they guarantee it, usually by the seller (one year on the top ad) and always by ebay. So if your capable of changing it out it can be the low cost answer.

It sounds like you are describing features from the cars window sticker. From that alone it sounds like the standard non hard drive version. A pic would confirm. Again take the vin to the dealers parts department, have them look up your specific unique car and write down the part numbers.

$600 to $800 from a dealer for this is pretty reasonable if you want that warm and fuzzy the dealer provides. For that price I would expect they would put in a used unit. If you are not diy people, an audio shop could install. The only reason to buy it yourself and diy is to save money as you suggested was the goal.

8. Jamie L

Jamie L Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Yes - all the information provided was based on looking up the vin number via toyota's site. I also called the parts department and confirmed the part number, based on this vin. Saving money is def the goal! The 600-800 is just for the part repair via toyota, with additional 3-400 in labor. From research, it seems a doable job to install ourselves. Thanks again for your help. I will see if I can find the part number on ebay.

9. Jamie L

Jamie L Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Here's an image of the console. The part number I was given is 86140-47020. If you have any insight into whether this is a standard version, let me know.

Attached Files:

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if you buy from a responsible bay seller, won't they take it back?

11. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    It is the standard version that I showed above. Get one with the extension box.

Jamie L and Offline like this.
  12. dk_brookdale

dk_brookdale Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I have the same problem on my 2012 Prius v. I was also told by local dealer that I needed a new multifunction console although they called it something else. I was not able to find replacement part number on the Toyota website. I have a different console IMG_4008.jpeg , see the photo. Any idea what part number that might be?

13. dk_brookdale

dk_brookdale Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Hello Jamie L; Just wondering if you've had the repair job done yet. Did you do the job yourself? Where did you buy the parts?