1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Any suggestions if you lose your remote?

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by cucaio90, Feb 4, 2016.

1. cucaio90

cucaio90 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Every keyless entry owner nightmare:what are you going to do if you lose your remote and you're 300 miles away from home,and your second remote is home.One of my solution is to keep the spare key in a magnet container under the car,the second remote in the car hidden, with the battery taken out,any other suggestions?

bisco and beachgeek like this.
  2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Other than your idea, be able to have another one made at a dealer. Just like most other cars today, even those with keys (which usually have transponders in them), you pretty much have to go to a dealer and have one made. Even then you need to have the keycode number that came on a metal tag to have them program a new one. I emailed that code to myself so that I could access it later. Expensive.solution (going to the dealer) but possible. Best thing? Don't lose your keys.

3. cucaio90

cucaio90 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I know the easy way is not to lose your keys but everybody knows Murphy's Law.

4. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    When we travel together, wife takes one, I the other. Reduces chances they are both in the same place. I've lost the mag holders before.

bisco likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    we do the same. ^^^ even if i'm alone, i bring the second and leave it in my hotel safe, or wherever i'm staying.

6. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    2 Choices:

1. Buy a used fob and try to find a locksmith to reprogram it for a reasonable fee.
    2. Throw yourself on the tender mercies of your local dealer.

Good Luck!

7. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I think there is a much higher chance of losing both keys while on travel. Leaving one key at home is the backup plan. If I lose my key on travel, the one at home can easily be mailed by a family member. I try never to keep both keys together except when at home.

8. EZW1

EZW1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I would remove the battery from the second remote, place both inside plastic zip lock bag or bags, and hide them inside the car where someone who breaks a window to get in will not find it. There are dozens of places to do this. For example, I would pull off a snap-on dash or rear panel and hide the key behind one of those. Unless you forget where you put it, nobody else will find it.