1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Any suggestions? Module replacement, round two

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by freeindeed, Jul 14, 2022.

1. freeindeed

freeindeed Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    6-1/2 weeks ago I installed a reconditioned traction battery in my 2007 Prius. I had replaced blades 5 and 18 with good used blades from a reputable seller and conditioned the blades in parallel using two “The Equalizer” from Nexpowerenergy and an iCharger X6. I charged to 9.6 VDC, discharged to 7.2 VDC, charged to 9.6 VDC, discharged to 6.3 VDC, charged to 9.6 VDC, discharged to 5.4 VDC and charged to 9.6 VDC. All charged used 10 A to 8.2 VDC then 1A to 9.6 VDC. All blades measured +- 0.02 VDC in discharged state and +- 0.01 VDC in fully charged state.

The car ran well for 6-1/2 weeks then displayed the !red triangle and gave error codes P3000P0A80, P3020, P3021 and P0A9C. It’s hot in Fresno, CA and temp sensors on Dr. Prius app read 142, 162 and 146 F.

Any advice appreciated. I plan to order a couple more modules, test individual voltages to see which modules to replace next and repeat reconditioning and balancing.

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    “The Equalizer” from Nexpowerenergy is designed for Lithium batteries, which are balanced from below (at lowest functional voltage) where NiMH are balanced from above at highest possible voltage at a ~1/4 amp.

Also charging to 9.6v is way too high... You probably overcooked the modules that are now running hot.

As always, the first round of module replacement tends to get the pack to last the longest and future rounds of module replacement get a shorter rebuild time. If you can afford to get a lithium pack before they sell out in less than a week definitely do so: https://projectlithium.com/?ref=9qLPw

Otherwise pull the pack and we'll walk you through load testing, self discharge testing, etc. Also if you can find a thermal camera you can find which modules are over-heating soon as you pull the pack out.

3. DavidQ

DavidQ Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Hi There, I need to order some battery modules, do you have recommendation of good sellers? Thanks.

4. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Professor Joe always has the best modules! He teaches hybrid & electric cars at his local college and regularly spends $20K for the latest in lab grade battery testing equipment. He's on his 3rd system now. His modules are $35 and they almost always end up being the strongest module in the pack. So make sure to not use two of them in same block: https://2ndlifebattery.com/contact-us/

bisco likes this.
  5. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Where does he sell his old systems at?

6. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Pretty sure he's perpetually looking for a buyer... Most people don't want to invest that much... Give him a call or text or email... He'd love to hear from you.

7. Daniel CW

Daniel CW Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Is it possible to cycle two modules connected in series? A single bus bar on one side, and the positive and negative leads from the charger on the corresponding ends on the other side of the two modules? Would this work?

8. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes... That's how the pros often do it with tens of thousands in equipment.

9. Daniel CW

Daniel CW Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks for the response.

10. freeindeed

freeindeed Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    UPDATE: Initially after pulling pack, voltages ranged from 7.74-7.78 except # 20 which was 6.50 and was replaced with a module from Professor Joe. After discharge using two Equalizers to 5.4 VDC then equalizing for hours, voltages ranged from 5.994 - 6.044. After charging to 8.4 VDC, voltages were 8.07 except one 8.06. What do you recommend? Will lithium packs be available again?

11. freeindeed

freeindeed Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    @PriusCamper I can't find thread with your recommended load testing and discharge testing. Is above UPDATE sufficient?
    Thanks

12. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds like your pack is almost perfect. I'd recommend you test it in the car.

13. freeindeed

freeindeed Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    UPDATE 2: While waiting on help to better program my iCharger X6 using two "The Equalizer" to discharge all 28 modules in parallel, I have started a discharge to 3.0 VDC at 9.1A.

14. DavidQ

DavidQ Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I also did a discharge curve voltage vs elapsed time. some modules discharge faster than others. When pair two modules, it may be good idea to have sum of two voltage from the paired vs. elapsed time similar for all pair. It needs a computer program for this calculation.
    prius-battery-curve.PNG

#14 DavidQ, Jul 24, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2022