1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Any thoughts on the next generation Prius Plug in??

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by alfon, Sep 22, 2013.

1. alfon

alfon Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I am pretty sure that Toyota will have a big surprise for 2015 for the Plug in Prius.

With a new body style, perhaps a range of 40-50 miles on pure electricity and
    55 mpg when the gas engine kick in.

The Chevy Volt owners may take a second look at that point...

JMD likes this.
  2. -1-

-1- Don

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    :)It will be interesting. Time to hurry up and wait.

3. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    What is your reasoning for thinking that?

4. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    It would be nice to get better EV range and speed and keep costs low

5. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Keeping the price within reach for mainstream consumers and not compromising seating or cargo space has been a top priority. Wavering too much from that with the next generation doesn't seem realistic.

6. inferno

inferno Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It's most likely not going to be 40-50 miles on a charge. I'm thinking it'd be 20 or so miles. The key is NOT losing any cargo space and being able to match up against the liftback in range. Which I think is possible (keep the same amount of gas volume). Either that or perhaps recharging is more efficient and it takes advantage of the largest battery in general.

7. zhenya

zhenya Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I agree; 20 miles or so at best. Toyota hasn't shown a great interest in plug-ins, so anyone expecting great advancement is likely to be disappointed.

8. inferno

inferno Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

I wouldn't say that they don't show any interest in plug-ins, they're just ready to commit to an 'all electric' plugin. I think they show great interest in plugins now as the reason for releasing this next plugin alongside with the regular. I suspect they **will** solve the cargo issue and that everything would be quite efficient and close the liftback, with the added benefit of traveling further on electricity and plugging in.

This is in fact my next target vehicle and the new V if they ever release the 7 seater. I have a 2010 Gen 3 and I love it, I can't see myself upgrading to the Gen IV regular, I still get 50+ mpgs and even reached 55 on one tank. I travel over 520 miles per tank consistently. A plugin would make sense but don't like the current tradeback in the current gen's plugin...

JMD likes this.
  9. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Please explain this sentence.

10. inferno

inferno Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

1. I use the full cargo space of my liftback, anything less is slightly questionable
    2. I initially led to believe the PiP had special tires to protect against flats, there's 'goop' in this case - again as an only family car I can't find myself gooping if I ever have a flat
    3. I push my Prius at 50+mpg for over 500 miles on a straight trip cross country with fam, with the plugin I might get 450 with a straight trip, granted it's **less** gasoline overall since I have electric portion and a smaller tank, but I can't part with that benefit either - I've had several 550+ mile tanks and LOVE IT!
    4. Prius almost paid off, we already use it pretty well and efficiently, a plugin that's the same gen tech doesn't make sense considering all the tradebacks (some which are important!)

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i don't expect to see a spare tyre in the future. space is too valuable a resource and the competition is not providing one either. toyota's changes are usually incremental and i expect 15-20 miles (vs 11 currently) with the same cargo space and slightly better hv mpg's along with other small improvement's. that would be enough for me to trade in, but if they hit one out of the park, i'm not gonna complain!(y)

Sanjath likes this.
  12. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Run flat tires have been around awhile

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    but they don't get good mpg's.

14. inferno

inferno Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

I think it'd be 20 miles minimum. They mention a lighter engine and I even think the interior will hold more space which is interesting. Maybe I'd upgrade if I didn't lose any space. The flat thing is interesting question. Could they possibly make room for a spare? Or is there better 'goop' What about a lighter spare? Hmm, it seems like we'd have to wait 1 more year for an announcement. Until then, spy shots!

15. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Totally agree that things are usually incremental. One other side effect of not updating incrementally is alienating owners that just bought last year's tech. People are less likely to buy from a company if they know their stuff will be outdated pretty quick. This is all moot of course if they put a pretty high premium on the new updates.

16. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Not a lot of time left on lunch break. Let's see what I can pound out quickly.

Don't expect too much. Even with a complete redesign, There's just not a lot of space for a huge battery. Since Toyota tightly controls the charge/discharge range to 40% - 60%, they would either have to hugely up the battery size (expensive, wasteful, and heavy) or widen the charge/discharge range.
    The current Plug-in mileage is already achieved with a Lithium-Ion battery. Currently, there's not much better than Lithium on the market so it's not like we can look forward to a technological leapfrog. Besides, even if some miracle battery was discovered this year, Toyota is too conservative to use it so soon.

Don't look for a larger battery anytime soon. They have been catching slack for Nickel-Metal while all other manufacturers jump on the Lithium bandwagon. What if they finally do? There are four Prii models, now all with Lithium. Will there be enough to go around AND double the size of the plug-in?

Back to work.

17. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree with everything you said, except the range on the PiP. It's actually 20%-80% on the PiP.

But totally agree that there just isn't much more room for a bigger battery unless they increase the size of the car some.

18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    next gen is a ground up reno, is it not?

19. markabele

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I've never heard that.

Personally I can't see why any company would do a total redo on a car unless it is selling very badly. A ton of testing and research goes into every little change they make. Totally redoing a car would drive profit margins down. That wouldn't make a lot of sense on a car that is already selling VERY well.

20. giora

giora Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A

20% to 80% (SOC) is 60% usable range as pointed out by Tony, so nothing to correct