1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Any tips for a new Prius C (and hybrid) owner for better fuel economy?

Discussion in 'Prius c Fuel Economy' started by col127, Jul 27, 2012.

1. rjdriver

rjdriver Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    While I haven't achieved any trips with mileage in the 80s, I did do a 10 mile stretch of rural driving, 4 stops, average speed about 38 mph, with AC on, but mainly for humidity, fan speed low, ECO on, and got 76.4 mpg. I recently did that same stretch in the same way and got 76 again. Other than slowing a bit on uphill sections and taking full advantage to glide on the downhills, I don't practice any unusual hypermiling or pulse and glide techniques.

usnavystgc likes this.
  2. napmaster

napmaster Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Definitely try to avoid highway as much as possible. Thanks to Google Navigation beta app, I'm not using highway anymore to get to work. My avg. is about 73mpg w/ eco off.
    Before, I would do a mix of highway and city driving and get about 58 mpg.
    I get to work in the same amount of time since the route I now take has minimal traffic compared to an always congested highway.

3. bamboozle

bamboozle Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    My daily commute is about 80 miles round trip. Its 50 miles highway 65-70 mph. This is my first hybrid car and I really am not doing anything special. I am amazed at the fuel economy. This same commute on 2011 BMW 328i I avg 18mpg and this same commute on a 2011 BMW 550i I avg 13mpg. I have read some of the tips and I inflated the tires 40 psi front and 38 psi rear and I noticed my mpg went down, I currently have front 35 psi and rear at 30 psi. I did do a 300 mile round trip to the West Coast of Florida and my I got 46mpg only on the highway.