1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Any tips for EGR replacement?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Johhhn, Nov 2, 2022.

Tags:
  1. Johhhn

Johhhn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've watched a couple of videos and plan on swapping out the EGR Valve, cooler, intake manifold, PCV, and spark plugs. Hoping to complete it all on a Saturday or Sunday. Any tips would be appreciated! Just ordered some new parts,, already have the spark plugs, PCV, and someone local is swapping their oil cooler with mine. Looks like it'll be in possibly next weekend!

Screen Shot 2022-11-02 at 16.02.53.png

2. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Give yourself 2 days, don't try to rush through it in one day.

I've found it extremely useful to have a cable type flexible hose clamp tool instead of a hose clamp plier or a pair of long reach long nose pliers. Though it's good to have and use all three.

The other necessary tool is a hose plier set. It's extremely difficult to find enough room to get your hands in tight spaces and get enough leverage to loosen stuck hoses due to high voltage cables and hoses in the way.

Astro Pneumatic Tool 9409A Hose Clamp Pliers https://a.co/d/gpLu2ar

Pittsburgh 3 Piece Long Reach Hose Grip Pliers https://a.co/d/2tO2qQ3

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

bisco and Johhhn like this.
  3. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Also, a tool like this is very handy when you inevitability drop something (nut, bolt, tool, gasket, etc) down into the engine bay.

NoCry Magnetic 27.7in Grabber Tool with an Extra Long, Flexible Cable; Comes with a Retractable Claw Grabber, Bright LED light and a Magnetic Tip with 5lb Pull Strength https://a.co/d/dHxeCUq

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Johhhn likes this.
  4. Johhhn

Johhhn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    2 days? damn.. :D Thanks for the links! I'll definitely grab those at my Harbor Freight!

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If you haven't taken it apart yet, it would be really helpful (to us and you) if you jot down your car's EGR flow measurement before you begin. Then you can compare the measurement after you have done the work.

It helps us because if you post those measurements (in the thread I linked) and your mileage, it adds to the data we have on how rapidly things deteriorate across a wider sample of cars.

It helps you because, after doing all that work, you can compare the measurements and know actually how much you accomplished.

Johhhn likes this.
  6. Johhhn

Johhhn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Do you know if there's an iOS app that can show the measurements?

7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You're looking for one that can show "Mode 6 emissions monitor results". It's a standard OBD-II thing, so there ought to be some apps that can do it. I don't know which ones though.

Johhhn likes this.
  8. nicoj36

nicoj36 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Dont drop the gasket or tiny washers specially the ones under and in the back. If you do drop em, your local toyota dealer should have them.

Johhhn likes this.
  9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Check first two links in my signature.

one of the first steps in my workflow is drain 2 qts/liters of the engine coolant, which drops the level lower than the EGR cooler; you needn’t spill a drop. When done pour it back into reservoir: it’ll be a little high (helps to vent system while pouring), in my experience settles down with a few days driving.

when lifting off throttle body, just leave its coolant lines attached.

#9 Mendel Leisk, Nov 3, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2022
    Johhhn and xliderider like this.