1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Any tips for taking delivery?

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by pavemental, Feb 21, 2012.

1. pavemental

pavemental New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I'm hoping to take delivery of a Prius V three today or tomorrow. Any tips about things to check before driving off the dealer lot?

The car has a remote start feature added and the salesguy assures me that it will also start the AC, not only the engine. That I will be checking. I assume this is a not uncommon add-on as it is not in the official specs but several dealers seem to add it ($529 MSRP)?

2. Keiichi

Keiichi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Make sure they go over all the features of the car one more time. Especially identifying where things are. Toyota will also send a survey verifying that detail with you. While you can look it up in the manual, often times, most people forget about some things about their car (like the refueling port lever, or how to adjust the steering wheel position).

Make sure if you got the floor mats, they are secured in place.

If your car has a little over 30 miles, check and see if they cleared any personal data. After all, if it has more than 30 miles, it probably has been test driven a few times with someone trying stuff, especially bluetooth paired devices.

Have them go over the subscription service as well, since you are going with the Trim 3 version of the Prius v, you will have Entune... Confirm you understand the duration of the trial period with them.

I would also make sure you have them go over with you about the remote starting process and any precautions, such as pros and cons with it. Obviously, remote starting your car means you will have a slight hit in your MPG... Knowing going forward what you may encounter is important to avoid the unnecessary 'uninformed buyer' arguements.

Other than that, enjoy the new car, take the usual 'getting into a car' precautions. Also take time to look up gencat's link about how to best drive your car. And the future, refer to the Prius v with the lower 'v'... :) Since some people refer to the Prius Five version as Prius V too. :)

3. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    To have the A/C work with the auto start I assume you will need to set the "climate control" to "Auto" and then set your target temp. The gas engine (ICE) may not start the second you use the remote start. But, the A/C is electric and it should start. The Prius has a mind of it's own when to start and stop the ICE.

4. smokiejoe

smokiejoe Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    On my Factory Remote Start Package Four, I don't need to set to Auto.
    It's cold here now, but the vehicle automatically turns on the Front and Rear Defogger, so I imagine when its warm outside, it will start the AC. You'll have to confirm if the Auto setting is required, or just set the Climate control to whatever temperature is needed. AC button will probably have to be pushed to on.
    The only thing annoying is the vehicle turns off when you unlock the car. Either by remote, or the door sensor.

5. Chazz8

Chazz8 Gadget Lover

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I also have the remote starter in my Prius v 5 with ATP. My understanding is that whatever is turned on (AC, cabin heat, Front/rear defogger) when you Power down the vehicle will still be turned on when you Power on (via button or remote starter) the vehicle.

It will also power on in Eco or Normal (but not Power?), whatever mode it was in when powered down. This is important because "Eco drive mode controls the heating/cooling operations and fan speed of the air conditioning (and heating?) system to enhance fuel efficiency. To improve air conditioning (and heating?) performance, adjust the fan speed or turn off Eco drive mode." - p187 Owner's Manual.

So I'd advise that if you think you are going to need AC or Heat when you remote start, then make sure that you power down the vehicle in Normal mode, and have the systems (AC, cabin heat, front/rear defogger) you want remote started turned on before you power down. A lot to keep in mind, I know.

And yes it's irritating that it turns off when you open the door after useing remote starter. But it's for your safety (lol).

6. pavemental

pavemental New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks everyone. My dealer has to get my car shipped in as there are no grey/dark grey III's in my state. The car they arranged for was sold from under them so I now have to wait for a different vehicle, which will be another whole week.

7. dayrunner

dayrunner New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    I got one of the 1st V's in Illinois in October. Make sure the VIN is right on every peice of paper you sign. The dealer got one number wrong and we didn't find it out for several months. It was a real mess to get straightened out.Everything had to be changed.

8. pavemental

pavemental New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Thanks everyone for your feedback and advice. I took delivery on Saturday and I love my new car!