1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Any tips or hints about removing the hidden EGR Cooler nut?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by R_W, Sep 9, 2020.

1. ghost2255

ghost2255 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I removed it permanently. This will be much easier to clean EGR cooler in future.

Paul E. Highway and Mendel Leisk like this.
  2. R_W

R_W Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Just a late update for anyone following my saga.. I gave up on the nut.

I'm sure I could have eventually got it and I think my problem was the angle. I had put the car up on ramps to take off the splash guard and did not back it down before draining the coolant, so even though I'm 6'3", it was still quite a reach.

I tried pretty steadily for a couple of short sessions over a couple of days, but when I added a Universal Joint adapter to the mix, it became a different learning curve -- I went with the universal instead of the wobble because it was less expensive and looked more useful for future tasks -- then Tropical Storm Sally took its time passing and I wasn't able to work under the soccer tent I was using as a garage. (Best wishes to anyone who was negatively affected by the storm)

The EGR pipe itself wasn't near clogged and by this time I had spent a week in the Florida heat on what started as a spark plug change, so I decided to put it off for a while. It wasn't like (before I started) I was getting codes. I had just taken the car apart for fun and it wasn't fun anymore.

(If anyone gets or finds a picture of the nut in place, installed in a car, so I can get a better idea of what I'm feeling, I'd appreciate it if you could reply with the pic to this thread or shoot me a DM with a link)

Of course, now that it's all back together, the car is giving me a P0441. I was hoping it was because the car wasn't used to having a clean EGR pipe or a new PCV valve, which I replaced while doing the intake manifold, but it's been maybe a week and three hundred miles, so that's clearly not the case.

Plan is tomorrow, double-check the visible piping, then if necessary take off the air box and the intake to see if I can spot something I missed. The mileage has been fine and the car works great. There has just been this persistent, apparently common based upon a forum search, post-repair code.

Thanks for the suggestions. Thanks for the help. I'll get it next time. Thanks.

3. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I've done the job more than 2 handfuls of times and the under egr nut is a bear, but you can get it:).

As for the P0441, there's something that is missing or not re-installed well ;).

Double check all your work and you'll find either a hose that isn't attached (usually the vacuum line inlet to the intake manifold) or a gasket isn't seated well:whistle:.

Good luck and keep us posted(y).

SFO, R_W, Mendel Leisk and 1 other person like this.