1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Any way to adjust outside air temp reading?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Billy56, Dec 29, 2019.

1. Billy56

Billy56 Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    L Eco
    Mine is 2 degrees too high...

kenoarto likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    not that i have read

3. Offline

Offline Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    2 degrees too high from what? What you are hearing on the radio? The temp sensors are mounted pretty low to the ground - at least on all the Toyota and Lexus vehicles we've owned.

I've got several cell phone apps that provide the outside temperature. They rarely agree. 2 degrees off from what you think it should be sounds great.

Mambo Dave likes this.
  4. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Make sure it's seated in it's correct place.

5. RRxing

RRxing Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    It can be adjusted + or - 2 or 3 degrees, but it can only be done by the dealer or if you have the Techstream software or an OBDII reader that includes that function. In any case, the sensor is mounted pretty low to the ground and will not necessarily reflect actual air temperature, particularly in the warmer months where it senses heat from the road. My advice would be to forget about it, it won't have any major impact on the climate control system.

bisco and jerrymildred like this.
  6. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ya beat me to it! ;) I was going to say the same thing. Techstream, but not worth the bother.

RRxing likes this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yes, that i have read

8. illumiN8i

illumiN8i Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The Carista smartphone app contains the following customization option. Should be easier than using Techstream or the dealer. Ambient temperature calibration
    -3°C / -2°C / -1°C / *NORMAL* / +1°C / +2°C / +3°C

9. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    2 Degrees higher than what?

jerrymildred likes this.
  10. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Good point. Three different thermometers will likely give three different readings.

11. Billy56

Billy56 Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    L Eco
    2 degrees higher than ACTUAL. I am extremely tuned in to what the actual temp is outside. As a pilot, I keep track of this stuff cloaely.

kenoarto likes this.
  12. Offline

Offline Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    How do you determine "ACTUAL"? Hold a thermometer out your window? Are you measuring the temperature at the same elevation as the sensor on the front of the car as you drive? My wife and I have several weather apps on our cell phones and they rarely agree on the current temperature.

As a pilot, you must know that air temperature is highly dependent on altitude and be familiar with how blazing hot a hard surface runway can be. I've frozen my arse off on hot summer days before exiting the open doors of aircraft in flight and until I "fell" to lower altitudes.

krmcg likes this.
  13. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Any way to adjust outside air temp reading?

TL:DR
    Yes...and it's fairly easy, but it is unnecessary for nearly everybody.

Reader's Digest Version:

Yes.
    Take the bumper off of your car and solder a biasing resistor in series or in parallel with your car's ambient air sensor after using a multi-meter and a potentiometer and taking some measurements. If you're lucky, your temp sensor will just need something like a 1-2k resistor soldered in series with the temp sensor, presuming it uses a negative temp coefficient thermistor and you think it's reading a few degrees high.
    It's a completely passive, 2-wire sensor and it will not harm anything if you tinker with it.

....or if you think that yours is defective - simply replace it for $15 plus labor.
    I strongly recommend you DIY this for two reasons:

1. Your sensor is almost certainly not defective.
    2. See the video.

Full BULL version.... :D

ACTUAL temperature depends on several things, and probably one of the more important of these is actually where you actually are.
    If you want an estimation of the outside air temperature, you're going to need a device called a thermistor that is placed somewhere on the outside your car.
    The tricky part of course....is WHERE to put it, because "outside air temperatures" vary.
    Roads are hot.
    Engines are hot.
    The roof may be relatively cooler or hotter depending on color.

When you look down at your phone, hopefully if you're not driving, you may have a local weather app enabled which shows you the outside air temp in your town. This is often taken from your local ASOS data (no....not the fashion company)
    Automated Surface Observing System (ASOS)
    Being a dot.gov system it's fantastically expensive, and politically charged since ASOS serves as a primary climatological observing network in the United States, and as we ALL know.....weather IS climate...and climate IS weather.

Drifting notwithstanding, you can (and people do) get the "local" outside air temp from this system.
    Pilots get air temps from this system in their ATIS reports, and the NWS uses this information in like manner.
    Because: NOAA
    Sometimes if some of your town's newsies have a particularly geeky weather department, they will provide local temps from other sources.

Almost all of this wonderful information comes from a little dab of 'powdered metal oxide' (rust) with 2 electrical leads called a thermistor.

A thermistor is a passive device, that literally, costs just a few centavos.
    They look something like this:
    [​IMG]
    But they're usually molded into a BLACK plastic housing that looks like this:
    [​IMG]
    Like everything else in the world, you can get one delivered from Amazon in a few days (more during pandemics) and they're about $15
    In a Prius, they're located in the nose of the car right in front of the radiator.
    REPLACING one is simplicity itself.
    ....you just need to take the bumper off of the car! (for a G3)
    It's not as bad as it sounds and it's fairly easy to DIY - but it's one of those repairs that will probably cost you well over $200 from a dealer.

Still with me?
    Wow....
    So....Thermistors are one of those things in life that work really well, and because of modern (automated) manufacturing they're VERY consistent, which is important because you want your 72 degrees to be the same every time the thermistor is at the exact temperature that it is when your instrument says it's 72 degrees.

We used them in the submarine service extensively because temperature is one of the things that can affect how sound propagates through water, and that's fairly important....but that's just one very obscure example.

They're so widely used in society today that right now, as you're reading this there are probably several of them within a few feet of you quietly doing their thing.........

#13 ETC(SS), May 5, 2020
    Last edited: May 5, 2020
    Meg&Bear, alanclarkeau and Mambo Dave like this.
  14. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    As there is no way to adjust it in the settings, wouldn't it be easier just to subtract 2 from the reading if you know it's 2 degrees out ?

alanclarkeau, jerrymildred and krmcg like this.
  15. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    2-degrees out from WHAT? ;)

alanclarkeau likes this.
  16. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    From what the OP "believes" to be the real outside temperature.
    FWIW, I believe mine is spot on at 131 ft above sea level where I live. (y)
    When it shows 0 deg C or less there's a frost on the ground, that's good enough for me.
    I know to take it easy when it shows 4 deg C or less as there is a possibility of black ice in shaded areas (can't remember where
    I got this info from many years ago though).

alanclarkeau and krmcg like this.
  17. Mambo Dave

Mambo Dave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    L Eco
    wow ... now THAT'S a reply!

18. Mambo Dave

Mambo Dave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    L Eco
    Cycling outside yesterday, one of my riding partner's computers shows the temperature. It would alter based on if we were in direct sunlight, or if the sun was behind the clouds. It's not that the ambient air temperature was changing much (the 'feels like' temp was 103 degrees for a while), but the sensor was reacting to the sun exposure (possibly with the extra UV / Infrared that was hitting it).

I imagine that it would have to be a really well hidden and protected sensor to read the 'correct' temperature, as being close to any piece of bodywork that was directly exposed to the sun would alter a temp reading.

jerrymildred likes this.
  19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    mine is pretty accurate, always 2 degrees below what the phone reports. takes a long time to adjust though.

20. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know if the outside temp really changed that much, but a few days ago when I was driving out of town about 20 miles, the temperature reading fluctuated rapidly between 80F to 96F. I don't think I have seen that rapid changes in my 2017 PRIME. Maybe new 2020 PRIME has more sensitive sensor?