1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

any way to hack rear hatch to open from inside?

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by The Big Sleaze, Apr 8, 2022.

1. The Big Sleaze

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    I've got my Prime Camper Sleep System mostly sorted out (PICS SOON) but I'm pretty big so squeezing out of the side door with already elevated sleeping platform is doable but takes effort. Getting out the back seems like better option. Would also LIKE to sleep with exterior fully locked, but maybe could block the latch?

Also, door locks seem to have mind of their own and if car is "on" in park only driver's door will open even after I'm pressing unlock clicker. Also, in recent test of Sleep Platform I got in from passenger side rear door but then driver's side rear door wouldn't open from inside no matter how I flipped the door lock. Is there some "master control" and I've got stuff on "child safe"? But why would passenger side still open? Do they got some crazy scheme of last door opened still opens but other one doesn't??? Maybe I confused myself.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there is a safety mechanism to open the hatch from the inside.

someone wired a remote switch to the hatch button, iirc

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Do you mean on the fob? I'm pretty sure my Gen 3 ignores the fob if it is on, locked, in park.

If it's anything like the older generations, open each door (using the outside handle), and look for a mechanical child-safety lever on the edge of the door (where it's concealed when the door is closed). There's one on each rear door, so it would be perfectly easy for one to be set child-safe and the other not.

As for opening the hatch from inside, some have tied a pull cable to the inside emergency release lever and put a T handle on it, others have wired an electrical pushbutton into the release circuit, you can find threads about both here, either way works.

4. The Big Sleaze

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    Don't think that applies because E-release was related to prior gen's having 12v battery stashed in back so tricky to deal with if batt dies and E-latch dies with it.
    I've got base model PRIME and AFAIK the rear hatch ONLY opens when E-unlocked AND little exterior latch is MANUALLY squeezed.

Not TOO against drilling a hole or two into the rear hatch interior plastic (factory replacement not TOO $$$) but would be nice to know where to start.

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm not signed in to TIS at the moment to look at a Prime's wiring diagram, but I suspect if you do it might surprise you.

What's that little exterior latch that you squeeze like? Like pressing a little rubber-covered button under the hatch handle? Check the wiring diagram to see how that works (or maybe especially to see what keeps it from working when the car is locked).

6. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Is there any good way to jury-rig a more convenient handle to this?

upload_2022-4-9_13-49-0.png

#6 fuzzy1, Apr 9, 2022
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2022
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that's interesting, they got rid of the emergency lever because they moved the battery? saved a few sheckles i suppose

8. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Step 2 above still says "move the lever".

9. The Big Sleaze

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    Two Eco
    battery hidden down in rear fender seems to have been a '00s fad at least for GM sedans.

Still no good info on PRIME rear hatch hack.
    1001 Youtubes about older Prius. :(

10. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Still looks like you've got easy choices of this kind of hack, adapted to your generation by referring to the picture upthread in #6,

[​IMG]

or this kind of hack (but don't use those IDC tap connectors, bush league), adapted to your generation by looking up your car's wiring diagram (more info).

[​IMG]

If you have questions about the applicability of the second kind of hack, you can probably answer them for yourself by reviewing post #5.

11. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The Gen 3 Prius Plugin (PiP) wiring diagram should give more hints when looking at that same hatch switch as
    mentioned above in post #5 above, since it (gen 3 PiP) has an (unlock button with fob near) embedded in that switch which is not available on the same switch the Prime uses to open the hatch.