1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Any Windows Vista converts out there?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by ozyran, May 17, 2007.

1. fairclge

fairclge Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(eagle33199 @ May 18 2007, 10:51 AM) [snapback]444839[/snapback]</div>
    I totally agree with the above .. I have VISTA Ult. and due to drivers ZBOARD, Razer, etc not working I reloaded my XP image.

2. ozyran

ozyran New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ May 18 2007, 02:01 PM) [snapback]445021[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks!
    Yes, I do actually save a decent amount of money by building my own system, IMO. I like being able to determine exactly what's going into the machine. For instance:
    Powmax CP803-1 Case.........................................................................................$44.99 shipped from ebaY
    ECS AMD Socket AM2 Motherboard...................................................................$64.99
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 1.9GHz Brisbane 65nm Dual-Core Processor...........................$69.00
    2GB Patriot DDR2 800 RAM..............................................................................$86.99
    Western Digital 160 GB SATA Hard Drive...............................................................$52.99
    Philips DVD Burner (w/burning software)...............................................................$33.99
    SilenX 14dB 80mm case fan..................................................................................$13.99
    SilenX 14dB 80mm blue LED case fan.....................................................................$15.99
    Thermaltake 120mm Silent Cat case fan (rated@11dB)......................................$11.99
    SilenX 450W PSU (rated@14dB/~80% efficiency).................................................$90.00

Total system cost (minus the operating system): $484.92
    I figure it will cost approximately $574.93 with a copy of XP Home installed on it.
    Now, keep in mind, this will be a quiet machine machine with silent case fans and an energy-efficient power supply. I will be using onboard video since I don't do a lot of gaming or graphics processing at the moment, but a DirectX 10 video card is planned at some point in time.

The only downside to doing all this is the amount of time invested in researching all of this stuff. However, it's a money vs. time trade-off.

Also, something else to consider: (These are similarly-equipped systems that are made to order)
    Dell: $618.00 I save approx. $43.00
    HP: $659.99 I save approx $85.07
    Gateway: $649.99 I save approx $75.07

I might not have a system warranty, but each of the components are under warranty (including the case, which the seller said can be returned if necessary), and I enjoy building these computer systems. I've gained a ton of experience with computers by building the machine I'm using now.

By the way, thanks for sharing everyone. It helps me out A LOT, especially since I have no experience in Vista and everyone I know who has it isn't really picky about the OS that they use, so long as it works.

(Hehe, on a side note, when one friend said he had Windows Vista, another replied, "Oh, you have Windows Me?" "No, I said Vista." "So you have Windows Me then?")

3. FloridaWen

FloridaWen New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ozyran @ May 18 2007, 03:32 PM) [snapback]445111[/snapback]</div>
    Western Digital makes GREAT Hard Drives..... good choice !! Does your ECS MoBo support RAID ?? I run ALL my computers (except notebooks) with RAID 1, dual hard drives, one "mirrored" exactly as the other, in case of failure of one HD. Intel MoBo's (Dell, and many others MB's) have on-board RAID controllers for either RAID 0 or RAID 1, if not 3Ware make a really great (but a bit expen$ive) RAID CONTROLLER board you can plug in and configure. RAID 1 saved my A** dozens of times..........
    I used to be really good with Compaq SERVERS and ran "dual-bin" RAID, that is RAID 1 in one drive bin and RAID 5 in the other bin with a hot-swap spare in each of the bins.

4. ozyran

ozyran New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FloridaWen @ May 18 2007, 06:50 PM) [snapback]445291[/snapback]</div>
    Wow, that RAID setup makes my head spin! To answer your question:
    This is from the ECS website:
    supports:
    2 x Ultra DMA133/100/66 devices
    4 x Serial ATA2 devices
    RAID0, RAID1, RAID10 configuration

More specs on the board:
    North Bridge: AMD® 690G
    South Bridge: AMD® SB600
    On board video is an ATi Radeon X1250 chipset, which I found pretty nice for an on board video set.

There's still an ATi DX10 card planned though. As for the hard drive, I agree completely, I'm running the exact same 160 Gig drive in my computer right now :D

5. spideyman

spideyman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I am avoiding Vista like the plague it is. :lol:

Personally, I am very happy with XP Pro, and have heard of people with so many problems. The cost alone for the best version of Vista is way too much for my wallet. The cheaper versions from what I have read pretty well suck.

6. Fibb222

Fibb222 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I've been running VISTA 64 bit for a few months now and I love it. I haven't had any major problems. It is totally stable, quick and extremely attractive. Vista can take advantage of my dual core and 64 bit processor that XP couldn't utilize as well - so it is very zippy. I have lost some functionality with my sound card but that is creative's fault. If you like to tinker with computers and enjoy trying new software then I recommend it. If you don't want any hassles and hate it when things change then don't install it til you are forced to.

7. boulder_bum

boulder_bum Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Pros:

-Looks cool.
    -Find is instantaneous vs. taking minutes with XP.
    -Security enhancements.
    -Media center interface greatly improved and has things like a Vongo interface (paid movie rental download service).
    -Setup/driver download process is relatively painless (Vista knows what hardware you have installed and finds the drivers automatically if they're supported).
    -Cool games like Texas Hold 'Em (optional download) and Chess.
    -Improved 64 bit support.

Cons:

-Resource intensive/slower than XP/games have a slower frame rate.
    -Requires newer hardware.
    -Compatibility problems with some software (iTunes on x64 for example).
    -Driver problems with some hardware (my graphics card driver still gives blue screens despite being "designed for Windows Vista")
    -Compatibility problems with some hardware (problems with Linux-based NAS without registry tweak).
    -Annoying "do you want to run this program" messages popping up all the time.

8. Swanny1172

Swanny1172 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I've been running Vista since launch in January and am very pleased. I have a Dell XPS 410 Core2Duo with 2 Gigs of RAM, so system resources are not an issue. Overall, I like it much better than XP and notice that it is much more secure.

9. hampdenwireless

hampdenwireless Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I installed Vista on my computer early on and was not satisfied with it. It was a Pentium 4 3.0ghz with 1gb of ram and a 300gb sata drive.

It was so slow I upgraded to 2gb of ram <max for the machine> and it was still too slow. Copying files <a known problem for vista> was amazingly slow, like 1/10 the speed of an XP machine and some multi gigabyte copies were taking hours.

I uninstalled it and reloaded XP pro clean and am happy again.

I have helped many others with XP and Vista problems and have not found a machine that runs vista fast with less then a dual processor and 1gb ram and a CLEAN INSTALL not an upgrade.

10. FloridaWen

FloridaWen New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(spideyman @ May 18 2007, 07:36 PM) [snapback]445318[/snapback]</div>
    No doubt about it, VISTA is EXPEN$IVE !! The "lowest" version I would go is Home Premium. The more expensive "top-of-the-line" Ultimate has the fax and scan program, a decent back-up program as well as data encryption that Home Premium does not.
    For the past 5 months, I have been running VISTA Home Premium and I solved my "lack of FAX program" by purchasing a great program called SNAPPY FAX 4...... works great ($29). I solved the "lack of back-up" by purchasing ACRONIS TRUE IMAGE (had serious problems with Norton Ghost and RAID drives) for $29 after rebates (NewEgg).
    I am admitting that Windows VISTA DOES indeed have some "quirks" and a few "bugs" and YES, it is a processor and a memory "HOG"........... but all-in-all it works as fast as Windows XP Pro on my computer and 99% of the time it does exactly what I want it to to, when I want it to do.
    The big "drawback" is the "VALIDATION" and "security" of MS Windows VISTA. Just can't get a "bootleg" copy of Vista as we used to do with XP !! No way, THIS one ya' gotta PAY for...........

11. FloridaWen

FloridaWen New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Swanny1172 @ May 18 2007, 11:00 PM) [snapback]445466[/snapback]</div>
    You have the EXACT Dell Computer I recently purchased (end of January), the Dimension XPS410 (a.k.a. Dimension 9200) except I opted for two 250 GB HD's and run RAID 1 (mirror). It only comes (from Dell) set up with RAID 0 and no other optional RAID configuration (At one time you could select RAID 0 or 1 !!). I had to set up the RAID 1 and then re-load all from scratch..... no problem, I preferred that to actually eliminate the AOL trial crap, etc. Did a nice, clean NEW install of MS Windows Vista Home Premium. 2 GB of RAM is okay, nothing less !! I gave my 1 year old Dell Dimension 9150 (a.k.a. XPS 400) to my Wife as her "second" (under desk) computer that she uses mailly to VPN into work and work from home a couple of days a week. THAT one (9150) also has RAID 1 (two 160 GB WD's) but is running Windows XP PRO. In February, we purchased a brand new Dell Latitude D820 (notebook) and that is her "personal" (non-business) Computer. Got the Dell docking station and we toggle that and the 9150 back and forth into the 1907FP (19" Dell Flat Panel) Monitor. And........ by the way, her D820 is running MS Windows XP PRO !! I am the only "brave" (or foolish ??) one running MS WINDOWS VISTA :rolleyes: !!

12. Walker1

Walker1 Empire

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hampdenwireless @ May 18 2007, 11:27 PM) [snapback]445481[/snapback]</div>
    I have Vista Home Premium on its way by Monday. I bought the Upgrade version as I have a school discount. It cost me $69.00. How would I do a clean install? Someone else said to NOT put in the S/N at the beginning of the install process, but he has a 64 bit PC. I have an HP desktop PC with 2 GB ram, 3 GB of Pentium 4 dual 830 processor, and a 200 GB hard drive.

When I was on Microsoft's site the chart said my PC would not need the full version and would not need a clean install. I don't mind doing a clean install if I know what to do when I'm ready. Can you help?

13. judymcfarland

judymcfarland Queen of Moral Indignation

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Happy ever since I "converted" to an iMac about a year ago. :p

14. ozyran

ozyran New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Grandma Judy @ May 19 2007, 10:11 AM) [snapback]445633[/snapback]</div>
    LOL. I've wanted to convert to Mac, but I'm already starting down the road on the PC I've got now and I just do not have any experience with Mac hardware. I have no idea how the architecture compares between the two. I know a few years ago a 600 MHz Mac processor was the equivalent of a 1 GHz Windows-compatible machine, but that's about where my experience stops.

15. catsbox

catsbox Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I have only one complaint with Vista, and I'm not sure that it is Vista. When I got Vista, I upgraded to Microsoft Office 2007. The documents are saved with a weird file extension that is not recognized by previous versions of Word/Office. I'm really irritated that Microsoft would do this. To do any reports that I have to submit electronically, I have to pull out my old computer.

16. tnthub

tnthub Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(catsbox @ May 19 2007, 10:26 AM) [snapback]445638[/snapback]</div>
    Go to Microsoft's website and download the update for older versions of office to read the new file formats.

And to the fellow who is building a new machine... Good job, but I highly recommend and add on video adapter for Vista. It is extremely graphics intensive and by offloading the CPU the performance will be much improved and I believe you will be far more pleased with the result. I have been working in the computer industry for twenty years and I have not seen such a graphics intensive OS for everyday use as Vista and I'm just using the business version on my regular machine. :)

17. Tom6850

Tom6850 Retired

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(catsbox @ May 19 2007, 10:26 AM) [snapback]445638[/snapback]</div>
    We bought a new Toshiba laptop with Vista. It is taking time to get acquainted with the new format and finding things that were second nature with XP. Thing is it is what MS has come out with and we might just as well get used to it. All new computers will have it. as far as WORD 2007, if you are going to forward anything from your files to someone with XP or an earlier version of word, make sure you save your file in WORD 2003, you have that option. The older versions of WORD cannot open the 2007 version.

18. FloridaWen

FloridaWen New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    WORD 2007 has an option when saving the new (or any open) file........... did you realize you do NOT have to save it as a "new" (2007 type .docx) and can save it as the "older" (Word 2003 type) ".doc" or several other formats !! Yep, it's there................ I have dozens of "older" (.doc) documents I transferred over from XP Pro (W/Office 2003) computers onto my Vista / Office 2007 Computer and when I want to close them, I close them back as the same, older .doc format. I even create NEW documents and save them as .doc (older format) so in case I have to attach them to an email and send them out. Actually my resume, cover letter, etc. are all done in "older" .doc format and saved in that format, even after I make any changes.
    Go ahead and try it............ "see" what I mean................. you can save in almost ANY format.........
    Now as far as the "CONVERTER" someone mentioned, that is if you already have saved docs in the "newer" .docx (2007) format and want THEM to be able to "view" and/or edit them if THEY are running only WORD 2003 (.doc format only) !!

19. Rangerdavid

Rangerdavid Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    i recently reloaded XP on my Dell 8400. Its a 3.2 Ghz Pentium 4 processor, 3 Gigs of ram with a 500 Gig hard drive. after the reload, It wiped out all the crap programs and left a clean install that is actually fast as hell right now. partitioned the hard drive and put all my movies, tv shows, and music on one, and use the other as the "C" drive.

Vista as an os is deep and wide. Uses a lot to just operate. I'm sticking with XP for at least 6 more months.

20. FloridaWen

FloridaWen New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rangerdavid @ May 19 2007, 12:00 PM) [snapback]445675[/snapback]</div>
    Your Dell 8400 is an "older" (no offense intended) computer and "loves" XP !! Can handle it very well !! The "newer" Dual Core / HyperThreading Microprocessor based computers are the ones that can "handle" the VISTA HOG a lot better, provided they have enough RAM, too !!