1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anybody comparing the Fusion to the 2010 Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by mirak, May 11, 2009.

1. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Numbers don't lie, see below for more details.

Prius Passenger: 93.7 cu.ft.
    Fusion Hybrid Passenger: 99.8 cu.ft.

Prius Cargo: 21.6 cu.ft. (hatchback trunk)
    Fusion Hybrid Cargo: 11.8 cu.ft. (trunk)

Fusion Hybrid has 6 cubic foot more passenger volume however Prius has 10 more cubic foot cargo volume. Overall, Prius has 4 cubic foot interior volume more than the Fusion Hybrid.

If passenger volume is more important to you then Fusion is probably better for you. If the hatchback cargo carrying capability is more important then the Prius is a better choice.

Source: http://pressroom.toyota.com/pr/tms/toyota/document/2010_Prius_Product_Info_FINAL.pdf?ncid=12067

http://www.fordvehicles.com/assets/pdf/vehicle-specs/10_Fusion_SpecLite.pdf

2. dbacksfan

dbacksfan Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Both vehicles would serve my needs in different ways. However, there are two main factors that swayed my decision to the Prius.

First, the flexibility in pricing. Presumeably, one can buy a Prius III for $4245 less than the base FFH. I know that there is the Federal tax credit of $1740. But I have to wait at least a year to get it. I know $4k buys addtional options. However, my first priority is holding to a tight budget.

Second, I'm concerned with the resale value as well as maintenance costs once the factory warranty has expired. (I made a promise to my wife that I'd keep this car for least 5 years.) I think the Prius is the safer bet.

3. irondentist

irondentist New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The Fusion also wins hands down with its Navi and iPhone connectivity with the Ford Sync. I love the idea of telling the stereo to search for a song on my iPhone rather than scrolling through the thousands upon thousands that I have with a button. Ford has the option of looking at the Navi with 3D view and split screen info, and the Sync's voice recognition cant be beat, even compared to high end Kenwood or Pioneer head units. Toyota's head unit is primitive compared to this, and if it fails to recognize your voice command, Toyota forces you to stop, pull the parking brakes to input anything in its Navi system even if you have a PASSENGER who can do this.

Still, I love the Toyota reliability and the additional 10mpg advantage. The LKA and Park Assist is a no sale for me as I dont like the idea of surrendering the steering wheel to a computer.

4. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    If mpg's are important, Prius trumps. If collision avoidance safety technology matters ... same answer. Bigger outside look? Ford. It's up to you.

Um, because people like to hear what others think in case they say something we hadn't considered? And the rest of us respond for the same reason? ... hoping to be helpful ?

5. rfruth

rfruth Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Here is my 2.5 cents worth - there's lots of good info here but you may want to check the blue oval forums if U haven't already, anyway the Fusion is a typical (looking) 4 door sedan and the Prius has a futuristic look that I like + it has a hatch (the upcoming Ford Fiesta ((not a hybrid)) is on my short list, so is the Prius & Yaris & Fit ...)

Picture_9.png

6. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well I must say that the new FFH's instrument panel is very cool and original.

7. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Do you have experience with both of these systems? I haven't used the Sync, so I can't tell you whether it is a great item.

I can tell you the Prius Nav system isn't the best in the world, but it has been great for my uses. I use a split screen on it all the time. While I would like to be able to do more while in motion, it hasn't been a big enough deal for me to do the "unlock" that is available. This has been removed, as I understand it, from the newer models. Also, the 2010 Prius has a whole new version of Nav.

The voice recognition/command feature has had very little appeal for me. I use it, occasionally, for routing home or to my office or to call a couple of numbers. It is simpler and faster, usually, to push one or two buttons.

As far as the "surrender to a computer" issue, even if you purchased the Advanced Tech option on the Prius V, you wouldn't ever have to engage them. I don't know why you'd spend the money and never use it, but then you never have to buy it in the first place.

8. Gilbert

Gilbert Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    What?? How could you even CONSIDER a FORD ("HYBRID")? LOL!!!:rockon:

Wait wait... how can you even TRY to compare it to the best car in the damn world!!

Doesnt make any sense!!

Prius owns pretty much every other car there is.

I wouldnt trade my 08 for anything. Exept for the 2010 Prius :rockon:

But seriously, Prius owns all others. Period.

9. saxamoophone

saxamoophone New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah I looked into the Fusion too.

With my work I'm a member of X-Plan and can get it for $2,000 under MSRP, plus the $1,700 federal rebate, which would put it around the same price as a Prius III.

So 50 mpg or 40 mpg?
    Sync + USB Plug vs ughhhhhhhh Audio In? lol.
    17" Wheels vs 15"
    Fog Lights vs No Fog Lights
    American vs Non
    Not looking like a hippie vs looking like a hippie
    Awesome Dash vs Somewhat Awesome Dash
    Smart Key vs No Smart Key

ugh...

There really are a lot of pros and cons both ways!

In the end, 50mpg vs 40mpg will probably be what pulls me to the Prius!

In other news, there are A LOT of 2010 Insights on the lots now, here's a hoping the Prius will be the same....I can only imagine Toyota would be building the same basic number!

10. Gilbert

Gilbert Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three

Thats cause it sucks and no one buys it :D:D

11. saxamoophone

saxamoophone New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You really like the Prius, don't you ;)

12. MBA Mom

MBA Mom New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am having the same stress about chosing between the FFH and '10 Prius as the original poster. I can get the fully loaded FFH for an A-plan plice, which makes it cost comparable to the '10 Prius V. I see positives for both so am waiting to drive the new Prius to make a decision based on "feel," since that's what it's all about - they are both great cars in their own ways.

13. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Outer Banks of NC.. Retired to play golf and poker
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The highlighted part is not accurate. In the Toyota system you can manipulate the screen at speeds of up to about 4 mph. You can definitely manipulated them while stopped in traffic or at a light with just the foot on the normal brake pedal. Been there done that multiple times. The voice commands work acceptably for me. I'm sure though that there are better systems out there, everything changes and improves. This is good for all of us.

14. equake

equake Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I've read that the Denso Nav units used in Toyota vehicles have had mixed reviews from car ethusiasts. The lockout feature is probably the most criticized I've seen as compared to competing Nav units from other Car Manufacturers.

Some reports says that the Gen 6 in the 10 Prius is similar to the Venza unit and 10 Camry (also 10 Lexus RX). Does anyone have experience with those models. Also read that the Gen 6 supposedly has a much better voice recognition system than the previous models which would reduce the lockout disadvantage.

15. DaveSheremata

DaveSheremata New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Years ago (after my first SUV, I discovered I could never live without a hatchback again. When I got my 2006 Prius, I discovered I could never live without SKS again. That's one killer feature!

Dave

16. DeanFL

DeanFL 2010 owner - 1st Prius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Occasionally I google '2010 Prius' for news or updated sites (yes, sometimes Prius Chat doesn't quite fill the need).
    This is new from ASK.CARS.com:

--------------------------

Should I buy a 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid, 2010 Toyota Prius or 2009 Toyota Prius?

I have three hybrid cars with commensurate pricing: the 2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid base, 2010 Toyota Prius base and a loaded 2009 Toyota Prius. The latter seems like the best deal, but now I’m reading of braking and seat problems. Any advice?

[​IMG] Em, Tampa, Fla.

You should really wait until the 2010 Prius (pictured below, left, next to 2009 Prius) is available to test drive before you make a decision between these hybrids. The Fusion Hybrid and the 2009 Prius are available now, but the 2010 isn’t expected to be on dealership lots until late May.
    The 2010 Prius is a significant improvement over the 2009; it benefits from increased gas mileage ratings, a higher quality interior and an MSRP that isn’t significantly higher than the 2009’s. In fact, the entry-level 2009 and 2010 Prius both start at $22,000; the pricing differences come in the higher trim levels.
    The current generation Prius has had complaints about the brake-pedal feel associated with its regenerative braking, but it’s a characteristic of the car and not a problem. You’ll be able to judge if it’s a deal-breaker when you test drive one. The same goes for the seating, which Toyota has upgraded for the 2010 Prius. More details about each car can be found in our expert reviews, below.
    [​IMG]
    The 2009 Prius might be more attractive with its current incentive of zero-percent financing for up to 60 months in your area. Between the financing offer and the arrival of the 2010 Prius, you could find a good deal on a new 2009 Prius or even a used 2009 from current owners that are looking to trade-in for the new model. Orders are already being placed for the 2010 models, so it might be a while before you can take delivery of one.
    The Fusion Hybrid is a little out of place in this comparison as it starts at $27,270 and is a larger, more traditional sedan compared to the hatchback Prius. The Fusion Hybrid competes with Toyota’s 2010 Camry Hybrid.

----------------------------

my comment:
    I like the above picture as it shows the subtle style differences between 09 & 10. Although due to the perspective, the 10 appears to be larger.
    Also, if it wasn't for the hatchback... I wouldn't be interested in the Prius. phew. Hatchbacks provide so much versatility.

1 person likes this.
  17. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I second the motion re: hatchbacks. A car that isn't just does not get a first look from me, let alone serious consideration.

I'm sure some purchasers must put priority on car width because of obesity or carrying three people in a row, but carrying 'stuff' seems like a much more common desire. And in that regard, sedans are brain-dead.

18. Steve Cebu

Steve Cebu New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    +1 for the hatchback. This was a big factor in our decision as well.

19. equake

equake Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Another vote for the hatchback and the extra cargo space.

20. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I just can't stand this type of answer. Yes, the Ford Fusion Hybrid (FFH) is larger in terms of the exterior, but it is smaller in terms of cargo carrying capacity. The two have, basically, the same passenger room, with the exception of the backseat width of the Fusion (between 2 and 3 more inches makes it nearly a 3-adult back seat). I believe the 2010 Prius still has more legroom than the FFH.

So, I suppose if you want a car that gives you the same passenger space, but doesn't fit as easily into parking spaces, has a much larger turning radius and carries much less stuff, then you want the "larger, more traditional sedan."