1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anybody comparing the Fusion to the 2010 Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by mirak, May 11, 2009.

1. PriusRos

PriusRos A Fairly Senior Member - 2016 Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks for posting the picture, Dean. First time I've seen a picture with both cars next to each other.

2. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm hoping and intend to have all 3 generations next to each other when I take delivery. Will be a limited window opportunity as I'm trading in Gen I for Gen III.

Ok, sorry, that was OT.

3. alam99

alam99 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The FFH and 2010 Prius have both received high marks in many auto reviews. I think either car would make a great choice in terms of fuel economy and quality. I'm also in the same boat as you but am leaning toward the Prius. Each vehicle has its strengths or weaknesses. I know some people who tend to latch onto a single detail but leave out all other considerations. It all depends on how important each characteristic is to you.

Is horse power important? The FFH has 191 versus the Prius' 134. Do you anticipate utilizing the hatchback design to easily move cargo? Prius wins. More interior room in the FFH means your riders will be more comfortable over long distances. Smaller exterior size means the Prius is easier to find parking for.

By going to toyota's site and selecting the Prius, you can tell the website to do a comparison between it and any other competitor's vehicles, including the the FFH. Beware, though, it looks like Toyota has not yet updated its info. It still shows details of the 2009, not 2010 model. Plus, it listed the FFH horsepower as 156 while Ford says it is 191.

Another thing to look out for is that when some car sites list comparisons, they sometimes leave out the ones which make the competitor look good and only leave the ones which make their own model stand out. I think GM's sites did that a lot in the past.

Keep us updated on your thinking. Would love to hear objective thoughts on this topic from everyone.

4. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    In traditional vehicles, more cargo carrying capability means less MPG (truck, SUV, minivan, etc..).

Prius with more cargo capability / flexibility and yet get 11 MPG more should be noted as well. You can fit a full size mattress or 56" LCD TV box in the Iconic Prius. 2010 Prius should be slightly bigger.

5. mirak

mirak New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I don't think there's any way to rely on caluclations of interior volume. Too many ways to play with the numbers. I'm just going to have to sit in both cars. My hunch is that the Fusion will be roomier.

Cargo is a different matter. No doubt the Prius's hatchback with rear-seat folddown will offer much better cargo capability (not just volume, but functionality) than the Fusion. I wonder, though, if the Prius is really as impact-safe as the Fusion? I'm carting around a small child, so that is an important concern.

Both cars can tout their safety standards, but the Prius is a smaller, lighter vehicle, and I don't think hatchbacks are typically as safe as conventional trunks in rear impacts.

6. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    In the past, I've gone to the Mercedes site to do comparisons. They use a third-party vendor for the information, and I believe it is a fair way to make comparisons between or among automobiles. Here is the link to the Mercedes comparison webpage.

7. wicastawakan

wicastawakan New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I once looked at & nearly purchases a Focus. Lot's of positive PR, good looking car, good specs, top seller in Europe, etc. etc. It simply hasn't held its resale as well as a Prius/Toyota. It hasn't proven as trouble free. The Fusion does catch your eye, but if history is any predictor of the future, I'll put my money on the quality, maintenance, etc of the Prius. To each his own. Buy the one you like the best & enjoy.

8. alam99

alam99 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I only listed a few things to illustrate that it really depends on what each driver thinks is most important to them. It wasn't meant to be comprehensive comparison. It'd be nice to read an objective comparison between the Ford Fusion Hybrid, Prius, and the Insight.

9. mirak

mirak New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I've finally found a review of sorts at Jalopnik comparing the Gen III Prius to the Fusion Hybrid (and the Insight and a 1990 Geo Metro).

Conclusion is the Prius is the best choice due to fuel economy and hatchback versatility, but it's a shame it's missing some of the Fusion's cool toys, such as a vastly superior instrument panel.

Without having driven either car, this conclusion pretty much mirrors my thoughts.

10. aksharam

aksharam New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Couple of weeks back, I went to local Ford dealer for Fusion Hybrid test drive. I found the following issue.

1. steering wheel is very hard
    2. very less room in trunk
    3. seat color selection is less

lastly, the latest Fusion is first generation of Hybrid. You can wait for few generation.

11. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Actually FFH has 2nd generation of Ford hybrid system. It is equivalent to the Iconic Prius (04-09) in technology. The first generation of Ford Hybrid system was used in Escape hybrid.

12. alam99

alam99 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the link. After skimming the article, the Prius is still my top choice for my next car, though I wouldn't cry and fuss if I had to "settle" for a Fusion or Insight.