1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anybody has done a jdm engine swap? Need advice for my Gen3

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by framire, Oct 12, 2020.

1. framire

framire New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hey guys! Please help, I have a 2013 prius with 205k miles that I bought without the engine, I do have the exhaust manifold and intake from the old one. I am looking to buy a low miles Jdm one for around $1200 looks very clean and comes with everything (exhaust mani, intake, throttle body, damper assy,Egr cooler and warranty. Question is, is this engine a direct replacement or there’s some stuff that I need to do to make it work? Any help will be appreciated. Thanks in advance

2. framire

framire New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  3. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You can get used engines for almost nothing from your local junkyard because they rarely fail. A "JDM" engine does no good in a Prius if you're wanting performance upgrades.

framire likes this.
  4. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    A JDM is a safe bet and is used by many shops but as 2k1 said there are plenty of good low miles local examples available too.

No advice per se on the g3 swap but often it's the little things missing that make for the biggest headaches (sensors, connectors, missing harnesses, etc).

GOOD LUCK!

framire likes this.
  5. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Last quote I got from a wrecker for an engine like this was $1500 retail and if I used my buddy's business to buy it wholesale I could probably get it for under $1k so you price is in range

Main issue with putting in an engine is logistics of not having shipping hassles, especially if it arrives damaged. And you don't have a core, so core deposit might be a hassle too...

framire likes this.
  6. orenji

orenji Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Right hand cars have some items on the opposite side so wiring maybe an issue as well as clearance.

framire and Mendel Leisk like this.
  7. framire

framire New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I’ve only found 2 used engines locally from lkq with more than 140k miles and they want $1500 that’s why I am leaning towards the Jdm. There’s a bunch of older prius local junkayards but they got the 1.5 engine and I need the 1.8

8. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    HOLY MOLY. I recently got a low miles (60k) engine with an IMA EV motor still attached for a Honda hybrid for $180 plus $175 shipped to my driveway. No kidding. OK, it was from a rust belt car so it had some light corrosion but still......

Supply and demand at work I guess. AFAICT, the Honda Insight engine has no history of known problems (other than wear&tear) while the gen 3 ICE has a growing issue with head gaskets failures. Modern companies like LKQ can easily determine what sells and what doesn't and adjust pricing accordingly.

framire, search here for 4gen engine swap threads. I haven't kept up but AFAIK it's a fairly straightforward swap into the gen 3. If so, that should help widen your searches. I see some on ebay for $1k shipped w/ 60k miles.

GOOD LUCK!

framire and PriusCamper like this.
  9. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What year is the Honda Insight engine?

10. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid

11. tony_2018

tony_2018 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Just make sure you get the 2zr for a prius/ct200. No other car. It should have a placement for an electric water pump. If it doesn't move on.

PriusCamper likes this.