1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anybody having same problem? - unable to move or charge

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by baracude, Jul 18, 2017.

1. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If that's the case, I'd get it checked, as that's not how it should be, otherwise it's not working as a hybrid needs to.

Do you use the "ENERGY MONITOR"? It's the only real way to know what it's doing - the arrows should be dancing around changing direction continually:
    upload_2017-7-24_14-8-20.png

RCO likes this.
  2. liquidtenmillion

liquidtenmillion Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In my experience the Gen 4 li ion will keep utilizing the battery to it's fullest, whether it is at 7 or 1 bars.

In my 2015 when I had 7 bars and was trying to do a purely-regen stop I could tell that it started to lessen and lessen the regen and increase the friction as the battery got closer to full.

With my 2017 if I have 7 bars it uses just as much regen as if I had 2 bars. Likewise if I only have 2 bars the car will still drive in EV mode on light acceleration, whereas my 2015 would have started the engine and been as light as possible on the battery until it got back up to 4 or so.

Also on my 2017 if I press the gas pedal it will use EV way past the middle line on initial acceleration. My 2015 would basically ALWAYS turn the engine on if I nudged past that line.

RCO likes this.
  3. MichelleStone

MichelleStone Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I go down that same hill often. I do get a full charge with all bars lit up. The transmission kicks in to slow the car (same as manually putting it in B mode). But the car is using and charging the battery normally after I get down that hill. Note that I am using cruise control. If I brake a little, the grinding of the engine/transmission stops. I still get a full charge and normal operation after that.

4. wkey

wkey New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I wonder if this is due to heat. Asia such as South Korea can be quite hot in summer and I think there was a thread about rear seat battery vent blocked which result in battery not being charged. if the battery was too hot and unable to vent in time, for safety it may disallow charging?

anyhow I do not own a prius yet but consider it as a future purchase (rented once in SF,Cali) so I am looking out for any potential issue through this forum

RCO likes this.
  5. liquidtenmillion

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I also thought that either heat, or a bad temperature sensor could cause this problem. It stops charging the HV battery at certain temperatures, and it uses it very lightly at other temperature thresholds.

6. baracude

baracude Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, I did have experience with my gen 3, but in such case, I remember battery is not used at all, so the battery level stays the same, not being drained to one bar.
    Also, first report of this problem is couple of month ago, which is not hot season at all.
    More to the problem is that whatever the situation is, no response when acceleration pedal is pressed is something that should not happen at all, period! Imagine your car stop at traffic lights in the middle of the road and it does not move when traffic lights change. It should not happen to any car, hybrid or not.

#26 baracude, Jul 29, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you should start a new thread, just to confuse the issue.

8. liquidtenmillion

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It should not, and does not happen. If that is happening to your vehicle then there is something wrong with it. Whether it is a bad sensor or a bad battery/inverter or the like something needs fixing.

I know when I see another car stalled in the intersection, hybrid or not, I wait or go around it, I certainly don't just plow into it.

RCO likes this.