1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anybody installed Oil catch can on Gen 2 ? any instructions would be helpful.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Jay90, Oct 26, 2018.

1. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    He’s also clean his egr circuit stem to stern with less than 75 k kms on it:cool:.

A hoarder and retired with time and space on his hands(y).

edthefox5, m.wynn and Mendel Leisk like this.
  2. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If you young guys live long enough and have a good retirement maybe you will understand.:)

m.wynn, Mendel Leisk and Raytheeagle like this.
  3. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    We’re planning for retirement at 55;).

Hope to be there and relax soon enough(y).

m.wynn likes this.
  4. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    In your spare time Ray go and see Mendel.:D

Raytheeagle likes this.
  5. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Missed my opportunity in 2010 when we went to the Winter Olympics :oops:.

Maybe @Mendel Leisk could come down this way and partake in a Bay Area meet up:).

He could bring his PIP rims and we could probably find a buyer who’ll put them to use rather than sit in a shrine;).

We can always use another set of hands and there is plenty to do and see for Mrs. Mendel too(y).

padroo likes this.
  6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    No no no, that's not happening, will figure out some way to use them.

padroo and Raytheeagle like this.
  7. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    So that means you’ll be down this way without the rims:).

If you brought them down, it might save the occasional shot of my wheel covers that I just got done cleaning this morning ;):
    D0C277E1-1FDB-423E-9E17-D0B3C3DD0C1B.jpeg

I think the PIP rims would look great against the Barcelona Red(y).

m.wynn likes this.
  8. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The path of least resistance here will be to use them with the next round of snow tires.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  9. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    For the record, the Volvo 4 cyl OHC (2.1L -> 2.5L) engines ALL had crankcase mounted "PCV" systems. While the abused ones with infrequent oil changes or changes with cr@p quality oil, sometimes got plugged up some, they work just fine there. It's really a question of where the most mist is during operation and I am supremely confident Toyota spent more $$$ researching it than anyone else has.

10. danlatu

danlatu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Then why do some other car manufacturers include oil catch cans? Bmw, Land rover, Chevrolet, Ford etc use them. Also known as an oil separator. Oil and water sitting in the IM is bad. Only air and fuel are suppose to be combusted. Oil being burned in the combustion chamber adds compression over time (not good) and also fouls plugs, hence p0301 codes. All this oil mist comes from the pcv system. Check your pcv hose to im, if it is coated in oil, you will need an occ. Many other cars have pcv oil mist issues and they do not run on an atkinson cycle. The direct injection (DI) have even bigger problems with pcv oil mist due to the fact that a port fuel injection does not clean the valves. Valves can get coated in oil causing poor performance and even valves stuck open. Valves stuck open get bent and broken. My hard headed friend has a mini cooper and I told him he better walnut shell blast his intake valves or the motor won't last 100k. Walnut shell blast cleaning is not even mentioned in the manual and is a hidden cost for maintenance. The occ is the same. Epa and carb is stupid for recirculating this for emissions. It gets pushed (burned) into the atmosphere either way. Cars are dirty and break.

Look at all that hardened oil deposits sitting on the prii pistons. excessive compression = blown head gasket. Leaking valve guide seals can also lead to oil being burned in the combustion chamber.
    Screen Shot 2018-10-31 at 6.42.08 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-10-31 at 6.41.49 PM.png
    walnut shell blasting before and after. Occ will prevent 90% of this from happening. Its not a new thing.
    Screen Shot 2018-10-31 at 6.31.54 PM.png

camaro v8 occ from the factory.
    Screen Shot 2018-10-31 at 6.10.27 PM.png

bmw oil separator e46
    Screen Shot 2018-10-31 at 6.12.47 PM.png

edthefox5 and SFO like this.
  11. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Two things: 1) not on ALL of their engines and 2) For emissions, but you should know that.

quote]Oil and water sitting in the IM is bad. Only air and fuel are suppose to be combusted. Oil being burned in the combustion chamber adds compression over time (not good) and also fouls plugs, hence p0301 codes. [/quote]

And your research on this subject trumps that of Toyota? Hmm, ok. So you are also postulating that the compression increase from carbon is due to oil and is more than the compression loss from normal wear (leakage). Interesting.

Been that way since 1969, no two engine designs are the same.

Um, it's fuel deposits more than the postulated oil that is causing this, but excessive oil carry-over is certainly a contributor.

12. danlatu

danlatu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Toyota spends more money on R&D than any other car manufacturer and yes they mess up too. I do believe they are one of the best. Camry fires, oil burning issues on many models in he last 10 years, countless tsb (recalls). It is just business, if the car lasts past warranty, they did their job. Their reputation for reliability is decreasing like honda. I only came here to say that occ can help. The fuel cleans the valves and prevents dirty oil sticking to them. Not all engines are run in the same climate, altitude, short runs, high/low rpm, excessive idle, driving habits, oil viscosity, oil life etc will have different results in pcv performance. Different compression, hp, rev limit, varies in the same motor produced from the same factory. Ford claims xxx amount of hp and never comes close. While chevy underestimates xxx amount of hp and shoots over their numbers. The occ is a band aid for a failed design. The combustion powered engine is one of the most inefficient designs man has ever made. Why are cars still using cams? There is so much friction and power loss from this design.

Combustion powered cars are dead in my eyes. More competition from other car manufacturers producing electric cars will drive prices down. Ngk got out of the spark plug business.

Rothschilds tweeted this. Change is coming.
    Screen Shot 2018-10-31 at 8.15.41 PM.png

13. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The g2 is a very clean burning car. At least mine is I have borescope pictures of the piston tops of my 120000 mile g2 on this site and the pistons are very clean. No sludge really.

The g3 is another story they really messed up with the egr its basically a sludge machine.Its really bad if the owner uses dino oil and not maintaining it.
    Toyota should either recall the motor or re-design the egr system so owners are not forced to either clean the entire egr system or risk a blown head gasket. The catch can is definitely needed but it wont pass emissions with an oil catch can..

I will not buy a G3 or 4 based on what i see here.

danlatu likes this.
  14. danlatu

danlatu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I passed emissions here in MD on both gen3's. I do not see why it would fail emissions through a sniffer and/or obd test. It will fail visual in states like CA. I do not know all of the individual states emissions laws. I am also following g4 long term effects of pcv here on priuschat and many other makes and models across other forums.

edthefox5 and Raytheeagle like this.
  15. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    It only fails if they can see it;).

Go low(y).

Mendel Leisk, edthefox5 and m.wynn like this.
  16. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I should have modified my post and said it may fail in California as it seems they are very strict but it should not throw a obd code so if you can hide it or temporarily remove it for emissions in California you should be fine.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  17. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Or know someone;).

Mine passed with flying colors as we kept the visual inspection to the fuel cap and a quick perusal of the engine bay:).

Going for the lowest spot to catch has several benefits (y).

danlatu, SFO, edthefox5 and 1 other person like this.
  18. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    On a second gen it'd be pretty hard to stealth-install though, at least the hoses, what with the pcv hose at the valve cover.

#38 Mendel Leisk, Nov 1, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2018
    Raytheeagle likes this.
  19. Raytheeagle

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    You’d be surprised ;).

You can’t even get to the PCV valve easy, so placing it low won’t be too bad:).

But the defined gain that the Gen3’s experience might not be there(y).

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  20. 05PreeUs

05PreeUs Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    EGR does not cause blown HGs, LACK of EGR flow *can*, but you'd see misfire codes well before that would ever happen.

It is important to understand what EGR does and that is LOWER peak cylinder pressures and temperatures, neither of which contribute to HG issues.