1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anybody sound deaden their Prius ?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by Chris Wolfgram, Oct 2, 2022.

1. Chris Wolfgram

Chris Wolfgram Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    I think I'm going to go ahead with it on mine. I'm having my mids / highs and a few other parts of my stereo system installed, so I figured if they are going to have all 4 of my door panels off anyway, why not go ahead and throw some deadener in there while they are at it ? I know from personal experience with my F150, that it's not a "technical kind of job"..... It's just a knuckle busting, cutting, scraping, twisting, turning, PITA kind of job ! My stereo place quoted me $50 a door, and from my experience, that is SO worth it.
    I also know that it will make your doors go from sounding like an empty steel trash can (with the knock rest) to a solid core wood door !
    I waited like 12 years to do my F150, and the first time I hopped in it after the sound deadening, I asked myself, Why in the heck did I ever wait so long ? Miserable job though. I learned that too lol

#1 Chris Wolfgram, Oct 2, 2022
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2022
  2. doitor

doitor Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    I did the doors, hatch and roof.
    Big difference.

Door 3.jpg

Hatch 4.jpg

Roof 3.jpg

J.

Chris Wolfgram and TGrracie like this.
  3. beef jiggles

beef jiggles Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I can’t think of anything more juvenile than car audio “upgrades”.

4. Chris Wolfgram

Chris Wolfgram Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    That's awesome :) BTW, I like that you didn't go crazy trying to cover every square inch, like you were wall papering a house :) lol
    In my research, I've discovered that the way sound travels around in sheet metal (conducts) that by adding a single smallish square in the center of a door or roof panel, it will greatly reduce the hollow, rattling tin can sound all through that panel > even in the parts which are not deadened :) Doesn't hurt to add more, where its easy and cheap enough, but their are just greatly diminishing returns. So, if you were to cover every sq inch, and then did that 3 layers thick, it would cost like 6 X's as much + it would start to become a noticeable weight factor, and it would only increase the deadening by a small %.... A little does a lot ! A lot does a little.
    The other thing I learned by doing my truck, was that "even" for someone who is not into good, clean music, it just makes the vehicle a lot more relaxing.

PS, because of your photos, I am reminded to keep some of 80 sq ft, to do the rear in the wheel well area myself. If I had given the whole 80 ft to the installer, they would have likely shoved it all in the 4 doors. Rather have it spread out in as many areas as possible :) Thank you for those photos :)

doitor likes this.