1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anybody want a red 2010 Prius II, it only cost $28,500 plus tax!!!!!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by sluday, Jun 21, 2009.

1. jonathandz

jonathandz New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    There is a new car tax deduction that was part of the federal financial stimulus bill. Points to note:
    • The deduction applies to new cars purchased between February 17, 2009 and December 31, 2009.
    • The deduction is limited to the taxes on vehicles with a purchase price up to $49,500.
    • There is an income limit on who can claim the deduction. Individuals who make more than $160,000 or couples that make more than $260,000 do not qualify.
    • You’ll receive the deduction when you file your 2009 taxes. The deduction is considered an “above the line†deduction, so you don’t need to itemize to receive it. It also reduces your taxable income, rather than the tax due.
    The example someone gave was if you pay $25,000 for a new vehicle and have a state sales tax of 6% you'll pay $1,500 in tax to the state at the time of purchase. When you file your federal income tax return you can deduct the $1,500 from your taxable income, which would end up reducing your tax burden by about $420. A small amount, but better than 0.

The bullets come nearly verbatim from 2009 New Car Tax Credit. You can also check out the IRS's bulletin on this at Special Tax Break Available for New Car Purchases This Year.

Take care,
    Jonathan

2. gmalis1

gmalis1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I would contact Toyota's regional offices.

Toyota frowns on dealers that markup prices above the MSRP.

I would report any dealers that do this.

3. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    And this is why I call them "Stealerships".

4. wvgasguy

wvgasguy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Yeah, but you can't accuse all of them of being this way and just using that word liberally insinuates that's what you think of all dealerships. If I want to call one person a "jerk" doesn't mean I think the whole human race is that way.

I've read your other comments and people are giving you a hard time. It seems obvious you might have wanted a 2010 but are uspset over several things about the car, including the dealers. maybe it is time to step back and evaluate your situation. If you truly don't want one anymore, why hang out here? Other people obviously are not sympathetic to your cause.

2 people like this.
  5. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I have called them Stealerships long before I ever owned a Prius. All of them are crooks! They gouge consumers with markups and over charge for parts/service. And when you try to buy a vehicle they play salesman mind games. They earned the name "Stealership"!

6. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hayward and Fremont Toyota habitually accessorize and try to get AMAP for a Prius during higher demand times.

One of the best dealers is Sunnyvale Toyota. They do not sell cars over MSRP.

I got mine at Piercey for MSRP when gas was $4.50 / gal last August after about 3 months wait.

7. dbacksfan

dbacksfan Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The sales manager at Avondale Toyota told me that Toyota actually cares a great deal about the purchase experience. If fact, I got a letter from him letting me know that Toyota corporate would be contacting me soon regarding my recent purchase. He went on to ask if there was anything they could have done to make it better. (BTW, I can't think of any.)

I don't know what the repercussions are when unfavorable feedback is received. Perhaps other folks in the business can comment.

Since there is so much inconsistency across the Toyota dealerships, especially for the G3, it's truly buyer beware.

Sluman, are you actually in the market? And if so, did you make it clear to the salesperson that you're a serious buyer? Otherwise, he has no reason to start truly negotiating. Others have posted that they have gotten the dealership to back down of markups and unnecessary add-ons. But the difference was, they were ready to buy.