1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone able to help a "blind" man with some wiring diagrams?

Discussion in 'Prius v Audio and Electronics' started by Jeremy D, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Jeremy D

Jeremy D Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    First, I am colorblind...I can see colors, but they tend to blend together and overlap. Needless to say, I learned early on that I could never be a pilot and later that installing stereo systems was a PITA without harness diagrams!

I paid the $15 for 3 days of toyota access and downloaded/saved all of the files I could find that were related to the Headunit, Navigation, HD Radio, Backup Camera, Speakers and the like. Hopefully, I got them all. I have a 2012 Prius v Three with Entune, but since I can't use Entune because I am in Hawaii, I am going to install a Head Unit with a good navigation system, better audio, and some cool app integration...I like toys and bright shiny objects but mostly I like my music.

Since there aren't any supported/documented head unit installs that I can find, I am going to have to wire something up myself and would prefer not to screw anything up in the process. I uploaded the docs I have so far, including a PDF with photos of the head unit and installed wiring harnesses.
    Here is a link to my Dropbox, I didn't want to post the docs here in case they were prohibited for some reason.

Dropbox - 2012 Prius v Stereo Install Docs - Simplify your life

In putting these together, I realized that connections on the stereo look like the ports on the head unit may be labeled (L75 and such) but I am hoping to get a pin description for each of the connectors. I didn't post any pictures of those yet, but I can do that this evening. Hope this makes sense?

Anyways, appreciate any help you all might have to offer. If you need me to post the PDFs here, I will do that.

Aloha!

Jeremy

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Fastest way to understand the pin connector is to go chat it up with local car stereo installers and see if they have a minute to help you with labeling. If you go in their having figured out the easy stuff you can make quick work of them helping you with the hard stuff.. But, I'm pretty sure all Toyotas have a standard color code for their wires...

The real problem you might run into is modern cars are overly-integrated with factory car stereos. For example the Gen2 vehicles require adding a resistor to fool the car into thinking the old stereo is still functioning as normal. Some who don't know how to do this have had to move the stock stereo under the seat in order to keep the new head unit from interfere with specific dashboard functions...

3. Jeremy D

Jeremy D Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Thank you for the feedback, PC. I have called three of the more highly regarded Audio Installers on Oahu and none have done a 2012 Prius install, let alone a v. No doubt a Professional Car Audio Installer could figure it out, but I think it would be costly and I'd rather spend my money my cars and camera equipment. ;)

According to the manufacturer of the OEMNAV systems, their head units are not compatible with the Prius v because of wiring differences. Those differences may be minor but I am hesitant to rely on any pre-2012 install info without knowing what they are.

I'll check over at some of the Car Audio forums for help.

Aloha!

Jeremy

4. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Why exactly won't Entune work in Hawaii? Most if not all of Enutune is simply internet apps working through a smartphone.

I would think it would be way easier to add a line interfaced amp and speakers to improve the audio quality. Some on this board have done so and I would think any stereo shop could do it easily.

I liked your idea of sharing the docs. There are others that show the connectors and pin outs and there should be some with theory of operation. All helpful.

5. Jeremy D

Jeremy D Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Entune in Hawaii...well, it's a Toyota USA and Servco Toyota (Distributor) business issue not a technical issue. I am visiting family on the mainland and am going to talk to one of the local dealerships about it....maybe they can help.

I may end up doing the amp and speakers first, but only because of the wiring. I've never owned a car more sophisticated than a jeep that I was willing to take apart. My other car is a 1979 International Scout II and ripping out the fuel lines or stereo is as easy as checking the oil. I prefer to do it myself because that's part of the enjoyment for me too.

Hope someone else can make use of the docs as well.

Aloha!

Jeremy

6. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    The "head unit" in these cars are actually dedicated computers that communicate on high speed data links, making life more difficult for aftermarket suppliers since significant features have to be duplicated in compatible communication protocols. I assume that's why a replacement is available for the simplest "Display Audio" without navigation but not yet for the more complicated version. I think the audio quality issue can be improved with external amps while the app issue is more problematic. Then again playing with apps while driving is not always good for your health and I can't imagine realtime traffic integration is all that necessary in Paradise.

7. Jeremy D

Jeremy D Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    "Necessary"...what does that have to do with anything? LOL

Agree about using apps while driving. I use opentable and yelp daily so having access in my car was a good reason to get the entune option...just not in Hawaii.