1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone added dedicated cellphone air vent in center shelf?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Toyonka, Aug 9, 2015.

1. Toyonka

Toyonka Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    So Chevy have realized what I also realize – in hot climates (I'm in California) cellphone battery life and performance drops when the phone is hot, sometimes an incredible amount. They have added a dedicated mobile phone cooling vent: Chevrolet adds an air conditioner to its cars to boost mobile phone battery life | Daily Mail Online

I have Android Auto (via Pioneer) and the phone sits on the center foot shelf under the gear selector. Has anyone tried to add an air vent here by diverting air from the main duct?

If not has anyone any advice on how to do this? I suspect the best location to share air with would be the passenger footwell duct.

Thanks!

2. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Don't get sucked into these marketing shams.

milkman44 likes this.
  3. Toyonka

Toyonka Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Err... this is a real problem that I had before I'd heard of the Chevy 'feature'. It's very sincere. If I am driving with my phone in the sun or charging, the processor slows itself down to prevent overheating, which slows everything down including Android Auto or answering calls. Even worse is it destroys the battery. Again, very real issue which I thought I made clear above.

Hoping for constructive and smart suggestions on how to rig something internally.

4. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Respects...but don't leave it in the sun. It's over 100° here (and every summer) and no known issues unless you leave your device in the closed vehicle all day. I wish you the best with your pursuit/mod, but your are being drawn in.

5. gliderman

gliderman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Most of the after market car phone mounts are vent mounts. Problem solved.

HybridBull likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    why would the phone be less comfortable than you? my car is a comfy 75 degrees inside.

7. Toyonka

Toyonka Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    We might have to agree to disagree.

1. When a phone is actively charging, it heats up a great amount. Add to that direct sunlight, and you've got a device much hotter than the interior air temperature.

2. Android Auto requires that the device be plugged into the Pioneer head unit. This forces it to charge. The head unit shows the phone display, so you do not use an air vent mount as the phone screen is not used.

If you don't have any answers on how to do the modification I'm considering, that's fine, there's no need to respond to this thread which is looking for such ideas.

Thanks anyway!

#7 Toyonka, Aug 9, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2015
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i can see the sunlight being a problem. i keep mine under the bridge. it's charging in the same environment as my home.

9. Toyonka

Toyonka Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    All phones, homes, locations, charging situations, sunlight angles, apps running and a dozen other variables are different. I have a Nexus 6. Big phone, big battery, thirsty processor, lots of apps installed. Trust me on my needs, and if you can contribute to the solution then great!

Hasan likes this.