1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone contemplate putting a 2017 MFD into a pre-2015 V?

Discussion in 'Prius v Audio and Electronics' started by gromittoo, Jun 16, 2021.

1. gromittoo

gromittoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    So I now have two Prius V's. One is a 2013 two, with an upgraded MultiFunction Display 57011 unit to add Navigation, The second is a new to me 2017 four with the stock MFD, and the new style Instrument cluster (Gen 4?).

I am really loving the 2017 The one thing that I find amazing is the smaller screen in the instrument cluster, that I can select to display a really cool looking Compass, with the name of the street I am on underneath! I drive for Uber and Lyft, and the only reason I upgraded the MFD in the 2013 was to always have access to the name of the street I am currently driving on. The driver apps and Google maps use Cell phone towers for location services. In some areas (especially with tall buildings), the phone thinks it jumped through a building to the alley behind the building.

So the Compass display displays the two pieces of information that I need to be accurate at all times: Direction + the name of the street I am on. And it is so cool looking!

I don't think I can easily retrofit the 510165 or a 510057 Head unit &/or the 2017 Instrument cluster into my 2013. Still I would love to hear people explain to me what would be involved, if it were possible.

Note: My wife will get the 2017. I am planning to do my Rideshare Driving on the 2013 until Uber or Lyft tell me I can't. Lyft limits cars to 150K. I can't find a mileage limit for Uber, but Uber is currently saying the oldest car they currently allow is 2013. They have pictures of my vehicle registration, so they have a way of knowing. I have not heard of them enforcing age or mileage limits on existing drivers. It would be stupid, since they can't find enough drivers as it is. But, I am prepared with the 2017 Prius V.