1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone DIYed a 240v outlet?

Discussion in 'Prime Plug-in Charging' started by Roy2001, Apr 19, 2018.

1. Roy2001

Roy2001 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Agree if you want to make multi trips a day L2 is a must. For me the Prime is mainly wife's commute car. Only once in past 2 months I found that in a little more than an hour I need to drive it out and an L2 charger would be great.

I am not in a hurry but I would definitely install 2 NEMA 15-50 outlets there. I am not sure if I would get a Model 3 or a Clarity like plug-in, just for future proof.

2. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    This. I didn't think that I'd double charge in a single day more than a few times a year. In the last week I've done it twice, and will again in another couple days. L2 is just necessary unless the car gets used for only one short trip per day. Definitely money well spent, and I'm all set for whatever the next car my wife or I buy next.

jerrymildred likes this.
  3. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    A while back I had the main circuit breaker go out. I didn't think I could legally break the seal and remove the meter to disable power to the main breaker. So I called an electrician, who proceeded to do exactly that. When the meter reader came around in a few weeks, he was immediately at the front door asking about the broken seal. I explained that an electrician had replaced the main breaker. The meter reader accepted the explanation, and installed a new seal.

I could have done it all myself without the electrician. I still think the official procedure would be to at least notify the electric company of the need to remove the meter. The accepted unofficial procedure worked fine, I just wasn't in on the secret.

4. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I was lucky, I had an electrician put a 220V outlet in the garage for a welder, about 12 years ago. When I bought the PiP, I changed the breaker and the outlet and I was done. I've been using the same Leviton EVSE for 6 years now.

benagi likes this.