1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone done clear UV-blocking "tint" on windshield?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by SCDrJ, Jun 20, 2006.

1. SCDrJ

SCDrJ New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'm giving this some thought on my Prius and Civic, anyone have experience?

Do shops do it?
    Any problems with polarized sunglasses?

2. mcbrunnhilde

mcbrunnhilde Opera singin' Prius nut!

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I thought there was already UV protection in the windows.

3. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There is. I remember reading it being called solar absorbtion glass and getting all excited thinking it was like a solar panel feeding energy to the battery. :(

4. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mcbrunnhilde @ Jun 20 2006, 11:31 AM) [snapback]274170[/snapback]</div>
    There is UV protection in the windows, but does anyone know how much? Is it both UVA and UVB?

P.S. Mcbrunnhilde, Nice name (Pat) and car model and color . . . if I may say so myself. :lol:

5. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Are you wanting to block UV or heat? Quite a bit of UV is blocked by the glass. The heat transmission can be block with certain tints. I can't decide whether to put Uber Optik on my windshield because of cleaning it often and because it is illegal here even though it is pretty clear and the fine is around $200 and the tint must be removed.

I sat in the tint shop owners cars with the windshield tinted with Uber and there were no issues with my polarize sunglasses.

6. Leo

Leo Leo

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(koa @ Jun 20 2006, 03:10 PM) [snapback]274197[/snapback]</div>
    As far as I know, the glass in the Prius is opaque to UV. I have photo-gray glasses that turn gray in the presence of UV, and they don't turn gray when I'm driving - hence I need clip-ons.

7. SCDrJ

SCDrJ New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(koa @ Jun 20 2006, 12:10 PM) [snapback]274197[/snapback]</div>
    Of note: ALL window glass (not specially treated or tinted) blocks MOST ALL UVB (so called "redness rays"), but NOT UVA, or the "wrinkling rays". That's why people who drive a lot get worse wrinkles on the left than the right, without ever having gotten sunburned in their cars. Sun protection is a big thing for me, I'm training to be a dermatologist as we speak.

I believe windshield film is technically illegal everywhere, but so is anything under 70% VLT on our front windows here in CA... I've had 35% all around on my last two cars for years and no problems at all. I think the more "modded" a car is, ie: more likely to be carrying "young whipper-snappers" in the eyes of the police, the more likely you are to get pulled over and ticketed, but maybe I'm just lucky. That and if I do get pulled over, I instantly turn on all interior lights and roll down all windows, which is exactly what police like for you to do anyway, even if your windows aren't tinted - I read that tip in "The Speeder's Guide to Avoiding Tickets". If you have limo tint and make the cop walk up to your car not being able to see inside, you can bet he's going to be apprehensive about it, probably with his hand on his gun!

On to the Prius: I believe that the UV-blocking only applies to the side and rear windows, not the windshield, but I could stand corrected on this. I still want the darkening properties of 35% or darker tint on the side windows anyway, but the concern is the windshield. I know a lot of tint shop owners tint their own cars' windshields, but will they do it on customers' cars?

Good to hear the thing about polarized sunglasses. I don't mind the mild pattern on the side windows, but on the windshield that would be dangerous.

8. EricGo

EricGo New Member

UV is already blocked. Save your money.

9. SCDrJ

SCDrJ New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(EricGo @ Jun 20 2006, 01:29 PM) [snapback]274243[/snapback]</div>
    Even on the windshield? Reason I ask is that the "shade" of the glass on the windshield is quite different than the side windows.

10. EricGo

EricGo New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SCDrJ @ Jun 20 2006, 05:36 PM) [snapback]274278[/snapback]</div>
    Pretty sure.

11. SCDrJ

SCDrJ New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(EricGo @ Jun 20 2006, 02:47 PM) [snapback]274293[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for the tip - I know that most tint companies claim 99% UV blockage, is there similar info out there about the HSEA glass? Can't find anything.

With the Prius anyway, I'll probably not worry about the clear windshield, though I do like the privacy and heat reduction that side window tint provides, at least it'll be cheaper that way!

12. EricGo

EricGo New Member

You know, putting a clear huber-optik on the front is a pretty clever way to circumvent the local laws, and yet drive safely. I like it !

I was looking at a patrol car yesterday, and it sure seemed like their front windshield was tinted from top to bottom. hmm

13. SCDrJ

SCDrJ New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(EricGo @ Jun 20 2006, 03:05 PM) [snapback]274311[/snapback]</div>
    The clear huber (or equivalent) is pretty much what I am talking about... I know that filters out most all (say 99%) UVA and UVB, but the question is... is it overkill on the Prius? If the HSEA glass blocks 95% of UVA or more I'd say leave it be, but if it's like 50-75%, I would go the extra mile. I just can't find the info anywhere.

14. EricGo

EricGo New Member

Sorry SCDrJ, my post was unclear.
    I'd think about the huber for the heat deflection, not UV.

15. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Search this site. The usually very well informed user tochatihu once posted UV absorption figures for each Prius window. If they are correct the windshield, though clear, absorbs 100%. As I recall the other windows absorb 70% or more.

16. rocco

rocco Member

I live in FL where it is illegal to tint the windshield. Like you I don't want early wrinkles! Plus (the dermatologist will recognize this) I use a fade creme to even out my skin tone on the face and I sure as heck don't want it all washed down the drain as soon as I get behind the wheel.

Anyway, I put huper optik on the windshield. Since the huper is not as dark as the regular tints, I am able to get away with it. (as the applyer told me I would). I've gotten two tickets :) and narry a mention of my tint.

I posted pics a long time ago so here is the url for them.

http://mailer.fsu.edu/~rsams/family/prius/

17. jmann

jmann Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Like everyone else already said, UV is blocked. you see, silica glass is opaque to UV light.

It always has been and always will be. Don't fall for these scams.

18. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jmann @ Jun 21 2006, 09:59 PM) [snapback]275035[/snapback]</div>
    No, don't fall for scams, but don't assume that all car glass stops enough UV to render Sunlight harmless. I once got a nice Sunburn, on my left arm only, after just a few hours of driving on the coast highway. Toyota did a good thing by making the Prius glass UV-absorbant.

19. SCDrJ

SCDrJ New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jmann @ Jun 21 2006, 07:59 PM) [snapback]275035[/snapback]</div>
    This is NOT true of all glass. For UVB, it pretty much is, but for UVA is is not... Most "normal" glass allows UVA to pass through fairly freely. I have noticed in my own practice a HUGE amount of people with what I call "differential aging", that is, wrinkles that are much worse on the left side of the face (or right side if chronic passenger).

So... This discussion might have little merit with regard to the Prius specifically, with the HSEA glass, but is a huge medical (skin cancer) and aesthetic (wrinkles) problem overall. I have helped hack off cancerous chunks of enough Southern CA faces to know.

Rocco - how is your day/night vision with the "clear-ish" huper on?

20. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SCDrJ @ Jun 20 2006, 02:36 PM) [snapback]274278[/snapback]</div>
    I just checked my car and all of the windows bear the UV marking however it is absent on the windshield.