1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone done this? Power receptacle in the back seat cupholder.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Gil Dawson, Jul 6, 2016.

1. Gil Dawson

Gil Dawson Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    My back seat cupholder pops off occasionally. Not often enough to actually cause a problem (yet), but enough to make me nervous with a large drink in the rear hole. Also, rear passengers need power back there.

Bright idea: 12v power receptacle (cigar lighter) mounted in the forward wall of the rear cupholder and extending into the front-seat console, secured with a large nut around the receptacle housing, effectively bolting the cupholder into place.

Now, where to get a 12v power receptacle with the right length housing and its distal end secured with a large nut?

Anyone done this, before I go measuring and rummaging?

--Gil

2. aaroncv3

aaroncv3 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not I, but I'm curious: your rear passengers need 12V? 5V USB won't cut it?

Googling "car cup holder power adapter" shows options on 5V, 12V, and 120VAC (inverter) flavors.

Not suggesting you don't know how to Google... Just that USB seems more practical.

Also, and I'm not 100% sure, but it is possible that certain 12V devices can cause Prius to panic (red triangle). I wouldn't want my rear passenger's knock-off device to trigger a warning light. I would personally rather offer them power from a device that meets my approval.

3. aaroncv3

aaroncv3 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just some more information on my last paragraph: I got red triangle twice while a Qualcomm-certified QC 3.0 charger was charging my QC 3.0 phone. None before, none since its discontinued use.

Gil Dawson likes this.
  4. Gil Dawson

Gil Dawson Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Excellent points, Aaron. I had not thought of 12V converters causing a problem with the car. You make me glad I asked.

Thanks for the Google suggestion. Those are some sure-fire easy ways to get power back there -- at the expense of a cuphole.

What I'm looking for, though, is a through-the-bulkhead installation, so that the receptacle installation mechanism will additionally bolt the cupholder assembly firmly to the center console.

And you're right. USB is the way to go. 12v cigar lighters are so last millennium.

--Gil

5. aaroncv3

aaroncv3 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The OP made me think you needed the "rear cigar lighter" for your cigar smoking passengers to light up! I resisted hasty conclusions, though... so I'm glad to hear USB makes more sense! I generally refer to that socket as a 12V accessory port.

What about a rare-earth magnet installation to retain the cup holder closed? Seems easy. Drilling a rectangular hole for the USB would be the trickiest part.

6. aaroncv3

aaroncv3 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Are you a Sailor or Marine? If so, Semper Fi!

7. Gil Dawson

Gil Dawson Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks for the magnet idea, but the cupholder stays closed just fine. I'm looking for a way to fortify the attachment of the cupholder to the forward console. When banged sufficiently from the side, the whole cupholder assembly comes loose from its clips to the console and lands at the passengers' feet.

Thanks for the shout-out, but I was in AFSC. Aircraft have bulkheads. Heads, too, some of 'em.

Hoo-Rah!

--Gil

8. Eastside

Eastside Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    There are several cup holder designs that provide usb ports, 12volt outlets, and a fused extension cable that plugs into the Prius 12volt power socket.

I put the Duracell one in my rear cup holder and plugged it into the power socket in the console.
    Amazon has some with usb ports and a built in inverter, with a 120 volt socket on the top of the cup.