1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone else doing driving really slow to get more EV miles?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by Electric Charge, May 1, 2013.

?
  1. No, who cares, time is money

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No, destination is usually within EV range

5 vote(s)
    20.0%
  3. Yes, as long as no one is behind me

17 vote(s)
    68.0%
  4. Yes, I don't care if anyone is behind me

3 vote(s)
    12.0%
  1. Electric Charge

Electric Charge Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Obviously, speed has an impact on your MPG/EV range, but now that spring is around the corner, I am seeing how big of an impact is can have. While I still have to deal many hills and some stops, I have been averaging 35mph lately (even in the 55mph zones, but only when no one is behind me of course), bumping my range from 11 miles to 13 miles, plus it allows me to use the battery while in HV more often as well, bumping up my total MPG numbers.

Of course, now I get frustrated when someone sneaks up behind me and rides my bumper because 57mph isn't fast enough in a 55mph zone, but I'm wondering if I'm the only one resorting to driving in slow-mo? Not sure if you can call it hypermiling, but the results speak for themselves.

So who else is doing this (with the sole intention to get more EV range, not bumping up the MPG numbers)?

2. priuskitty

priuskitty PIP FAN

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I drive down the side streets in my neighborhood where the speed limit is 25MPH. I do drive slow even when someone is behind me, but I roll down my window and wave them on, I haven't had any problems with anybody following me from behind. (so far, no hand gestures or cuss words, knock on wood) Last summer I was able to achieve 15.4 miles EV before ICE kicked in. I was going about 12 to 15 MPH though.:D:cool:

3. Electric Charge

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have actually been experimenting with finding new ways of getting home, using roads which have lower speed limits (usually neighborhoods like you mentioned). While it bumped up my commuting time by 10 minutes or so, going from 75MPG to 95MPG while enjoying a relaxed drive now that the weather is nice, makes it worth it.

That said, when I hit 13 miles yesterday, I was really excited. 55MPH really seems to kill mileage, that's for sure.

I just need to learn to deal with the disappointment of people riding my bumper, since there are only 1 or 2 spots where you can legally pass a car during the entire trip, so I have no choice but to do the speed limit. I have tried pulling over, but then another guy will show up. Leaving a little earlier seems to help.

Leeyum likes this.
  4. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    As I understand it, here in California, if one goes, say, 10mph over the speed limit on most of the freeways, one can get two tickets. (1) speeding, (2) obstructing traffic (going too slow). o_O

chesleyn and CaliforniaBear like this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i generally drive the speed limit. i won't exceed it, but sometimes i'll do 50 in the right lane if i have range anxiety, it's only one exit (about a mile). p.s. when i was in norcal, i didn't see anyone getting pulled over for going 70-80 mph.:eek:

6. Electric Charge

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    On interstates, I tend to do the speed limit, but on rural roads, and no traffic behind me, I will drive like an Amish buggy.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    try the same route on one of the backroad trips at two different speeds. i bet you won't pick up more than a few tenths. my commute to home depot, (home away from home) is 18 miles, all back roads 30-35 mph. no matter what i've tried, i can't get more than 15-16 ev and then the ice. you're just not going to stretch it much farther. there are times when a few tenths can get you to your destination, that's when i'll drive like that. sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.:p

8. retired4999

retired4999 Prius driver since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    (y)

9. Electric Charge

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That's what I am talking about. If I follow the speed limit, about 40% of my commute is 55MPH, the rest is 35-45MPH. Usually ICE kicks in around 10 miles. By slowing down, I managed to get it up to 13 miles before ICE kicks in (and this is with hills etc). If you are already doing 30-35mph the entire way, then you don't have many options left but asking someone to tow you.

10. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Some people get great mileage by "drafting" behind trucks. The truck drivers love that (not!).

11. Electric Charge

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yea that method can definitely shave a few EV miles of your trip to the graveyard ;) Speed seems to have the biggest impact on EV miles, and it looks like I'm not the only slowpoke here, so that's good to know ;)

Now on to learning how to take turns at 50MPH ... just kidding.

12. -1-

-1- Don

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    ;)With three months experience, I find I have to manage battery power year round. In the winter months, I find that I have to drive slower than the speed limit (normally 59-60 in a 70) to make my 9.8 mile 80% highway commute to work in all EV mode. With warmer temperatures, I find myself doing the opposite, by increasing my speed up to 63 MPH when I anticipate a battery surplus, as I get closer to home, to use up as much battery power as possible without the ICE cutting on. Too many people (the majority) exceed the speed limit, and it's unusual to see someone driving 10 MPH less than the speed limit on the interstate. Personally, I don't believe it's a nuisance or a safety issue. but when someone is exceeding the speed limit by the same margin, it could be.

CaliforniaBear likes this.
  13. Rav

Rav Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I don't but I encounter those morons daily. Thanks for giving all Prius drivers a bad wrap (n)

Leeyum likes this.
  14. CaliforniaBear

CaliforniaBear Clearwater Blue Metallic

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    So true! However, the right hand lane works pretty well for the speed limit or a few mph less.

15. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Number 2 is not correct.

That is a common misconception of VC 22400.

V C Section 22400 Minimum Speed Law

One must not travel faster than the posted limit. Period.

V C Section 22349 Maximum Speed Limit

Often people use that as an excuse to drive faster.

16. Electric Charge

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Only 1 has responded so far saying he doesn't care about people behind him, while I'm surprised, it's only a small number ;)

17. CaliforniaBear

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    However, consider
    V C Section 21654 Slow Moving Vehicles
    While your 65mph may be the speed limit the CHP officer may consider you in violation for this code. I suppose you can go to court and fight it and possibly win. Heading for the right lane is a better way to go.

18. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Agreed. And if they are not in one of the right hand lanes then they deserve a ticket IMO! LOL

19. CaliforniaBear

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    IMO the speed limit is there for a reason. However I'm out numbered, way out numbered :(

20. F8L

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    True. :(

I assumed we were talking about getting a ticket while driving slow in the right lane. Who would drive slow in the left lanes? Freaks!

CaliforniaBear likes this.