1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone else excited about the Aptera Launch edition?

Discussion in 'EV (Electric Vehicle) Discussion' started by Isaac Zachary, Jan 23, 2023.

1. Isaac Zachary

Isaac Zachary Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    And yes, it comes with DC fast charging (via Tesla plug?!)

If Aptera were at least a 4 seater, I'd be digging into my savings for a downpayment.

Hopefully we can get one in four or five years or so after the boys move out on their own.

This car (or trike?) is probably the only non-stick-shift vehicle I'd want to drive to have fun in. Anything else is purely a practical puchase decision.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i saw a 3 wheel something or other today, i suppose it wasn't aptera

3. Isaac Zachary

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    No offense, but I don't think comparing the Aptera to just any old three-wheeler is a fair comparison. It's kind of like comparing a Prius with a Hummer just because they both have 4 wheels.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    agreed. i have no idea what it was, didn't even know they made 3 wheel cars. 4 to 5 years sounds like vaporware, but i hope that isn't the case

Isaac Zachary likes this.
  5. Isaac Zachary

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Ya who knows. Some say it's the new Tesla. Others say it'll last until Aptera realizes only a few people wanted them and there's no more demand for them. And others feel that with so many failed attempts at making this car (how many decades has Aptera been around now?) that they're just a phoney company that will never produce anything worthwhile.

But for me, I hope the best for them. This is the kind of car I think of when I hear "EV". Anything else is just an immitation of internal combustion engine cars. To me, even Tesla is just a typical sedan with an electric motor and touch screen installed. The same with Rivian being a Pickup. It's like car companies can't break away from all these 100-year-old designs. But the Aptera is a car that has a completely new designed from the ground up to work as well as possible with EV technology, not EV technology adapted as well as possible to work in an age old vehicle design.

6. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    You won't mistake an Aptera for another trike once you see one.
    [​IMG]

They revealed the production prototype a few weeks ago. Production is planned to start this year, and they hope to be making 10k year. Considering getting a reservation. What I've seen reported for reservation numbers means it will likely be a 4 year wait. By then the Subaru will be at the 80k mile point, and ready for fewer duties.

7. Isaac Zachary

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes!

The only gripe among fans was the initial Apteras weren't going to have DC fast charging. Then a few days ago (?) they came out with an anouncement that all Apteras will have DC fast charging.

The specs fpr the lauch Apteras are:
    400 miles per charge,
    400 (or more) miles added in an hour of DC fast charging.

So if you do some 600 miles in a day (which is about all I can drive) you'd have to add one hour (which we usually stop for an hour lunch). So essentially, this is the EV that, in my case, could be used for road trips and potentially wouldn't add any extra time.

Wait until the 1,000 mile version comes out!

I better make my reservation too if it's going to take 4 years to get one!

8. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    It is a cabin enclosed, three-wheeler, electric motorcycle. For a single or childless couple, a good 'going for groceries' vehicle. I suspect helmet laws will apply in some jurisdictions.

Bob Wilson

9. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    To be fair; there are only so many changes they can do. The cars we have now are a reflection of our bodies, our interests, the cities and roads we drive through and the places we park and store our cars.

To change just the car without the other stuff is like leaning waaaaay over the edge. Risky.

I'm excited about this car too. I'd like to see them really work. I like most of their design decisions. I am worried about what happens the first time somebody parks his RAM 3500 and realizes he's had an Aptera stuck under it for the last 30 miles.

10. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Got to check your local helmet laws. Pennsylvania's has an exemption for enclosed autocycles like the Aptera.

bwilson4web likes this.
  11. Isaac Zachary

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    True. And for many, if not most people, if not the entire world except me, they would all be happy to drive around some super car or large SUV or something similar. Most people find touchscreens fun and stuff like that, but not me.

To me, I just find modern vehicles to be boring.

Maybe it's where I live. If I owned a Tesla, for an example, the instant torque and 3 second acceleration and such would never be of any value. My town has a townwide speed limit of 25mph. There are no on ramps onto any highways. As you leave town in any direction the speed limit goes up in small increments (30mph, 35mph, 45mph, 50mph, 55mph, and finally 65mph). So what am I supposed to do? Peal out from 25mph to 30mph? I'm also a stickler for driving the speed limit.

I really miss driving a stick shift. To me, that adds fun in any vehicle, even one that's underpowered at 40 or 50hp. I'd rather drive a 40hp stickshift than a 1,020hp Tesla Plaid. I'm not an SUV enthusiast either, nor a pickup enthusiast.

Well the stickshift is dead and we're on our way to an all EV future. I will probably just keep buying cars on the basis of practicality. But the Aptera is the car that I feel can break the mold for me. It doesn't have a stickshift, and it has a touch screen, which I'm also not a fan of, but it's just so different, it's cool!

12. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    EV describes the drivetrain, not how ‘far-out’ the design is.

To your original question, I’m very excited for it. I like smaller cars, and this is about as small as you get.
    I love the fact they are using the Tesla charge plug, although I am indifferent to the inclusion of DC fast charging.

That said, I will be excited enough to get on the list once they are actually have products to sell.

13. Isaac Zachary

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    True. Kind of like the difference between a diesel sedan and a gasoline sedan and a compressed natural gas sedan. A sedan is a sedan. But don't throw an electric motor and battery in a sedan (or SUV or pickup) and act like it's the kind of car we were promised by the Jetson's, Back to the Future and others.

If I were to get an EV as a second car and keep an ICEV for those long trips (or just rent for long trips, although I no longer trust rental companies) I could see not having any DC fast charging. But we're kind of a one car family, which became a problem when we tried to make a Leaf work as our only car. Around town it was perfect, but only on one long trip did we ever come across a DC quick charging station. Sitting at level 2 or even level 1 chargers all day whenever we wanted to venture a bit further than our neighborhood wasn't the most convenient way to travel.

That being said, I don't see a two seater as being an only car for us.

#13 Isaac Zachary, Jan 24, 2023
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2023
  14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i don't see many people being interested. the new tesla? too far out of the mainstream.

i hope they can sell enough to make a go of it.

15. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
  16. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    The Aptera would be our second car. Our car for trips is my wife's Model Y.
    You indicated you "hopefully" get one in 4 or 5 years. Why would you then say you couldn't buy an Aptera? I sense a disconnect?

17. farmecologist

farmecologist Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    II
    I have been following the Aptera for a LONG time.

I like it a lot...and respect the fact they are getting the thing into production.

However, I'm not so sure how it would do in a harsh environment like our Minnesota winters. Looks like things could get iced up pretty easily, etc...(y)

18. Isaac Zachary

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    To many variables to account for. I have no idea how long my boys will stay with us, or what our vehicle needs will be even if they do. If it were a 4 seater then it would be on top priority.

There's also financials to consider. This is probably reveiling too much of myself online, but I finally have to oportunity of purchasing a home. There is even aid as a low income earner. But the catch is I can't make more than $56,000 per year (which I don't) but the cost of the loan would be nearly $300,000 with monthly payments being $2,000, almost half our income. The most I've ever bought a car for was just north of $15,000.

It probably will have a greatly reduced range due to snow and slush. The battery itself will depend on how good the winter heating of the battery is. I'm saying this as someone who would drive a Nissan Leaf in as low as -30°F weather day after day. The worse mileage I ever got in the winter was half of normal summer mileage.

19. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Dude get the house squared away first. And I'm really hoping you can find a better deal.

That was one I held myself to- We got into a house, got past the moving-in and trimming expenses and let our finances settle for a couple years before replacing either of the cars we owned then. I wouldn't call it a necessary step but doing it this way kept the drama out of the banking and billpaying for us.

20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what would happen with 4 wheels and more mainstream body, huge range hit?