1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone else excited about the Aptera Launch edition?

Discussion in 'EV (Electric Vehicle) Discussion' started by Isaac Zachary, Jan 23, 2023.

1. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    This is the first car I've been interested in since I bought my Prius Prime in 2017. The new Prius went backwards in most areas, and I like the attitude of these guys. 1/4 the parts count of a regular car, QR codes on the parts so you can scan, order and get a video on how to replace them, focus on efficiency and solar charging.

I wish they had a third seat option. They've said they will work on it as well as expanding to "more seats and more wheels" in the future. I hope they survive because I like the attitude. They seem to be ramping up for production as the last video has manufacturing equipment and pallets of parts in the background.

Isaac Zachary and farmecologist like this.
  2. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    • Do you have one?
    • What is their production rate?
    • Where is the nearest place I test drive one, I live in Huntsville Alabama?
    Bob Wilson

3. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I don't have one yet.
    The expected production rate is 10,000 a year.
    Unlike Tesla, you will be able to test drive.

4. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I am almost curious enough to ask where you get your information.
    My father took a test drive a month ago.

5. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Probably one of their videos. I've watched a whole bunch of them. Could have been written, I don't recall.

6. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Hummm, "don't have", "expected", and "will be" sounds aspirational ... almost like the mythical Ioniq 6.

There are a lot of Ioniq 6 reviews and articles but nothing on the EPA web site, www.fueleconomy,gov. Once there, I can get the real data used by the EPA for the Ioniq 6 listing. I kinda need real products.

Bob Wilson

#46 bwilson4web, Apr 13, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2023
  7. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    And, for many years, the mythical Model 3.

Didn't seem to bother you that the $35,000 Model 3 remained a myth, permanently.

I have a car. I can wait and see what happens.

8. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    With trade-in, I only had to pay $24,000, Too often folks don’t realize trading in the old car saves a boat load, $18,300 in my case.

Bob Wilson

9. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Irrelevant. I could trade in a G5 and buy 50 Model X's.

Has nothing to do with the price.

10. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Source: Auto Loan Interest Rates Hit Highest Level Since 2008 and Drive Record Share of $1,000+ Monthly Payments in Q1, According to Edmunds | Edmunds

SANTA MONICA, CA — April 3, 2023 — Financing a new vehicle purchase continues to grow increasingly out of reach for many consumers, according to the car shopping experts at Edmunds. New data from Edmunds reveals:

• The average annual percentage rate (APR) on new financed vehicles in Q1 2023 climbed to 7%, compared to 4.4% in Q1 2022, which is the highest level Edmunds has on record since Q1 2008. However, Edmunds analysts note that March marked the first time after 14 consecutive months of increases that the average new-vehicle APR stayed flat (at 7%), which they attribute to a moderate increase in subsidized financing by automakers.
    • The average monthly payment for new vehicles hit a record high of $730 in Q1 2023, compared to $656 in Q1 2022.
    • 16.8% of consumers who financed a new vehicle in Q1 2023 committed to a monthly payment of $1,000 or more — a new all-time high according to Edmunds — compared to 10.3% in Q1 2022 and 6.2% in Q1 2021.
    • The average down payment for a new vehicle climbed to a record high of $6,956 in Q1 2023, compared to $6,083 in Q1 2022.

Source_2: After Nearly Two Years, New-Vehicle Transaction Prices Fall Below Sticker Price in March 2023, According to New Data from Kelley Blue Book - Apr 11, 2023

A nearly two-year trend was broken in March 2023 when the average price Americans paid for a new vehicle fell below the manufacturer's suggested retail price (MSRP) for the first time in 20 months, according to data released today by Kelley Blue Book, a Cox Automotive company. The average transaction price (ATP) of a new vehicle in the United States declined in March 2023 to $48,008, a month-over-month decrease of 1.1% ($550) from a downwardly revised February reading of $48,558. March 2023 transaction prices remained up 3.8% ($1,784) compared to year-ago levels. Meanwhile, auto manufacturer's incentive spend rose to the highest level in 12 months at 3.2% of the ATP in March 2023, averaging $1,516.
    . . .
    "The latest transaction data from March revaels new-vehicle prices continued a downward trend through the first quarter of 2023," said Rebecca Rydzewski, research manager of economic and industry insights for Cox Automotive. "Both luxury and non-luxury prices were down month over month. We've been anticipating transaction price declines, as inventory has been steadily improving and choice has expanded. More vehicles on dealer lots – and on their competitors' lots – means dealers simply don't have the pricing power they did six months ago."

Average Prices for Non-Luxury Cars Decline
    The average price paid for a new non-luxury vehicle in March 2023 was $44,182, a decline of $505 compared to February 2023. Most non-luxury brands – including Chevrolet, Chrysler, Dodge, Ford, Hyundai, Kia, Nissan and Volkswagen – saw ATP declines between 0.2% to 3.8% month over month in March. This correlates with higher incentives helping to push prices down. Honda and Kia showed the most price strength in the non-luxury market, transacting between 3% and 6% over sticker price in March.

Source_3: 4 in 10 say next vehicle may be electric, in latest AP-NORC/EPIC poll - Autoblog

The poll by The Associated Press-NORC Center for Public Affairs Research and the Energy Policy Institute at the University of Chicago shows that the Biden administration’s plans to dramatically raise U.S. EV sales could run into resistance from consumers. Only 8% of U.S. adults say they or someone in their household owns or leases an electric vehicle, and just 8% say their household has a plug-in hybrid vehicle.
    . . .
    But only 19% of U.S. adults say it’s “very” or “extremely” likely they would purchase an electric vehicle the next time they buy a car, according to the poll, and 22% say it’s somewhat likely. About half — 47% — say it’s not likely they would go electric.

Six in 10 said the high cost is a major reason they wouldn’t and about a quarter cited it as a minor reason. Only 16% said the high cost would not be a factor in rejecting the EV.

New electric vehicles now cost an average of more than $58,000, according to Kelley Blue Book, a price that’s beyond the reach of many U.S. households. (The average vehicle transaction price in the U.S. was just under $50,000 in January.) Tax credits approved under last year’s Inflation Reduction Act are designed to bring EV prices down and attract more buyers. . . .

Source_4: Tesla cuts US prices for fifth time since January | Reuters
    . . .
    Tesla has cut the price of its base Model 3 by a cumulative 11% since the start of the year, with a 20% reduction on its base Model Y.

Source_5: Design Your Model 3 | Tesla

Model 3
    Est. Delivery: Apr 2023
    See Early Delivery Options

• Range (EPA est.)
    • Top Speed 140mph
    • 0-60 mph 5.8sec
    Rear-Wheel Drive

Bob Wilson