1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone else experience Prime not turning off?

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by AoibheannPrius, Mar 25, 2019.

1. AoibheannPrius

AoibheannPrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    We've had our prius prime since late May 2018 and love the car.

Last week we experienced a problem after a full day of driving (400+ miles). We stopped at a gas station, pulled into a parking space, parked, then pressed the power button, expecting the car to turn off. Most of the dash lights turned off, but when we opened the doors to leave, it beeped at us as if we had not turned the car off and were just leaving it running. pressing power again did nothing. turning the car on, still wouldn't let us do anything.

The error message said the keys weren't present, it was acting the way I would expect if I turned it on and left with the keys.

As we needed to drive farther, we got back in and hoped the car would turn off when we got to our final destination. Fortunately it turned off then.

This error repeated once on our return trip. Same details, same results. But only after a full day of driving.

Took it in today for 20K mile service. The dealership is unaware of an ongoing error.

Has anyone else had a similar problem?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    check the 12 volt health

3. schja01

schja01 One of very few in Chicagoland

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Almost sounds like the car felt a FOB was still in the car. Were both FOBs out of the car?

4. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've only had my Prime a couple weeks, but I've been driving other generations for five years and never had anything quite like like that. There was one time that, after parking and shutting it off, when I opened the door it dinged and popped a yellow triangle with an exclamation mark on the dash. I put it back in ready and shut it off again and it was fine. I can't find that in the manual, but I'm almost positive that's what I saw. Just one time, though.

5. Blauer Glimmer

Blauer Glimmer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Key fob battery may be dying, which could explain why it didn’t detect the key.

Arctic_White and FuelMiser like this.
  6. FuelMiser

FuelMiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Agree with the fob battery explanation. A full day of driving is a lot of time having the fob synched to the car. I experienced a similar situation after leaving my fob in the cup holder for an extended time with the car in READY. Got the "key not detected" warning.