1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone else find the new SKS door handle sensor annoying?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by silentak1, Aug 9, 2010.

1. phoenixgreg

phoenixgreg Senior member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It was an initial gripe with me too. My prior car had a "trunk" button on the remote so if you were loaded down with packages, you could press it and the trunk would gently open. That way, you wouldn't have to "disarm" with 2 presses on the remote and then lift the hatch. I also think the same convenience should be in the cockpit. Why not have a latch next to the gas port release to "pop" the hatch if you wanted to unload the back of it? Of course, this would only work if the car was in "P".

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I don't have to use two presses on the remote to "disarm". I leave my remote in my pocket. All I do is walk up and lift, and the hatch automatically unlocks. I can't understand why you would use the remote unless you only have the single door SKS. If that is the case, then I understand your complaint. The single door SKS is better than the old non-SKS, but if it were me, I'd have three-door SKS on all Prius. It's a great feature.

Tom

3. Colonel Ronson

Colonel Ronson New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    um a Prius IV is supposed to have a sensor in the hatch lol

4. beantowncruiser

beantowncruiser New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    No, you're not alone on this. The technology is very cool, but it sometimes tends to take a second or so before it locks, and sometimes it doesn't. I have on a number of occasions, had to turn back around and touch the handle again to get it to lock. Now I just stand there and wait until it locks, sometimes having to touch it again. Although the touch sensor is more streamlined, I agree that the button was more effective.

1 person likes this.
  5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Agree although I do like the clean look of the touch sensors.

With the old Prius, I can close the door AND push the black button at the same time with one of my fingers. This means the door locks the moment it closes (if you time it right and it's pretty easy to get it right).

With the new Prius, I have to close, then touch the sensor and wait because it doesn't always lock. I've gotten into the habit of touching BOTH the top and bottom sensor and so far that has a much better success rate.

1 person likes this.
  6. macman408

macman408 Electron Guidance Counselor

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I have no complaints about having to wait a bit to lock the doors... I have to wait for my beloved passenger to hurry up, gather her stuff, get out, and close the door anyway. ;) Not sure how it is that I'm always the first out, though.

Though I wouldn't mind a more intelligent behavior if you try to lock it with a door still open. Yes, it's good for it to do something different to make sure you know that not all the doors are closed (in case some door just *looks* closed), but it sure would be nice if you could press the lock button, then have it lock when the last door closes, without the car throwing a hissy-fit. I think my parents had a Ford that did this - it beeped a little differently if you locked it with a door open, and then beeped again when the door closed as it locked the doors.

7. Aegison

Aegison Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

To clarify, did you change your key fob to open all doors, or did you find a way to have them open as the Gen II did??!!

8. rpeek2

rpeek2 Dry Ice Juggler

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
  9. robertk328

robertk328 Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    When I touch the drivers-side door handle, all doors unlock, including the trunk. But I cannot touch the trunk or passenger handles to have it unlock. Drivers-side first, and all will unlock.

10. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You must have the single door SKS. Bummer.

Tom

11. robertk328

robertk328 Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    No big deal, I just stop at the drivers door first, touch it, then move on. Otherwise I can use the fob. :) I think you need the IV or V to get the multi-door.