1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone else having 12V battery issues?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by LurkAzusa, Sep 15, 2012.

1. LurkAzusa

LurkAzusa Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    This morning I had the same issue as a few months ago. Go to the car after it sits for about a week and it is stone cold dead. The battery was supposedly replaced last time. Instead of roadside assistance and a goop pump, a portable battery charger would be much more useful. :(

2. You have a drain on the battery. When plugged in, the 12V is always in a charge mode along with the main battery. If you are not using the car, keep it plugged in. Locate the drain, interior, door, trunk...whatever. IMHO the batteries are much better off in a charged state, than to be dead and unusable.

3. jbrad4

jbrad4 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Read the manual. It says don't let the car sit with the traction battery fully charged. I make sure my traction battery is discharged (less than 30% State of Charge) at the end of every day. When you charge the traction battery, the car also charges the 12 v battery. From Manual P. 93 "Leave a low level of charge in the hybrid battery (traction battery) when leaving the vehicle undriven for a long period of time." "Long period of time" is unspecified.

4. jbrad4

jbrad4 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Also stated on P. 93 of the Manual:

After confirming that EV mode has switched to HV mode, turn the “POWER” switch off.

So, the above implies that you should switch your car from EV to HV mode before turning the Power Switch OFF, if you are going to let your car sit without driving it.

Use the charging timer function as much as possible in order to fully charge the hybrid battery (traction battery) immediately before starting off.

5. I use the same procedure as jbrad4 basically, but with the OP what does he mean by, after it sits about a week? Is he not charging the car? What's happening LURKAZUSA?

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i went to cali for a week in may. left car at about 5 miles of ev range. unplugged, it was fine when i got back. this winter, i hope to go to florida for a month. hopefully, that's not a problem. it never was in my 04 or 08.

7. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    plug-ins should have a "vacation mode" for extended sleeps. vacation mode should keep the 12V battery topped off, keep the vehicle from freezing or boiling, send you a short daily health report, etc ... and tell you that it misses you and is waiting for you to come back.

Tony D, xpcman and finman like this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    perhaps some means of two way communication.:)

9. LurkAzusa

LurkAzusa Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The first time it was not fully charged. It was in a parking lot for about a week. No lights or anything to drain the battery. This time is was fully charged, but unplugged. Again no lights or anything that would drain the battery. I'm sorry, but I travel for my job or work from home. It is common for me to not drive it daily. I only have 3500 miles on it since Feb 28. I cannot understand how in any way it would be considered just fine to expect an accessory battery to be dead within a week without a drain such as leaving the lights on. There isn't any way to turn off the keyless scanning. The only way to get to the back battery it to crawl over the back seats to open the cable storage to get to the hatch opener. I'm being told to disconnect the battery if I don't plan on using it. And lose all my settings???? First of all I don't plan not to use it. Sometimes I just don't have anywhere to go at the moment.

Also, I no longer have turn by turn guidance on the nav since the last entune upgrade. I have to push the speaker button to hear a direction, but it doesn't automatically do it.

I chose the plugin because I loved my previous 2005, but I'm not all that happy with this one lately.

10. John H

John H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You might want to try a 12V solar charger clipped to the 12V battery and mounted in the back window. Get one with an overvoltage protector so it doesn't over charge. It won't help if you park in a dark garage though.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i don't think anyone is suggesting that it shouldn't stay reasonably charged for a lot longer than a week. you may want to have the dealer check the drain on the battery and see if it is above specs. or perhaps they didn't replace the original which may have been defective and only charged it up.

12. There is a charge point for the 12v under the hood in the same place as previous generations, you can trickle charge or jumper from there. In your case a quick 12v battery disconnect would work. Available at hardware store. Why the car would not start when both the traction and the Aux were both charged is beyond me. One question: How do you know the 12V was fully charged ? How did you check the 12V on your 2005? I also had a 2005 and installed a Bat disconnect switch. But, have found that unnecessary on the PIP as the 12V is always charged simultaneously .

13. LurkAzusa

LurkAzusa Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Sorry, didn't mean to imply anyone here said that. The dealer told me to disconnect the battery if it wasn't going to be used for more than 3 days. Both dealers couldn't find an obvious reason for the problem and didn't seem to be too interested in finding out more. I could leave it for days, but I don't feel that they will really look further to find the source of the problem. Just frustrated. I hate to spend more money on something to jump it continuously. Especially since what do I get? If at the airport, a solar charger or plug in maintainer aren't practical. If I get a portable jump start unit. Will the battery in that last longer than a week of being charged?

14. Chris11

Chris11 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    There's something wrong with it. Take it back to the dealer ... then when they tell you crap, get in touch with Toyota's district manager.

There's no way a new car's battery should go dead in a week. And then suggesting you disconnect the battery? I'd be hopping mad and doing some bitchin' big time. Just say the words "Lemon law"...watch them jump.

Andyprius # 1 likes this.
  16. Sorry, stupid computer. My post is below Chris's. Sorry Chris.

17. Chris11

Chris11 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    No problem Andy.

But I personally wouldn't mess with it. At all. It's up to Toyota and even though I think they're the best car mfg in the world bad things still happen with man made objects.

Take it back Lurk and do some demanding...to hell with diplomacy. You paid lotsa money to NOT have problems ... isn't that one of the reasons we buy a new car.

kenoarto likes this.
  18. LurkAzusa

LurkAzusa Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I guess that's what I got with one of the first cars. If I can get this battery problem, the voice guidance to work in the Nav and the windshield wind noise gone, I'll be a happy camper again. Anyone have a great Prius tech in the So Cal area?

19. Avi's Advanced Automotive

Avi's Advanced Automotive Independent hybrid repair shop

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    cough cough

bisco likes this.
  20. ryogajyc

ryogajyc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Actually, there is. It's done through head unit menu. See the Owner's Manual pg. 640, then the appropriate head unit manual for your vehicle for instructions.
    Maybe your 12V battery is too weak b/c it was drained too low at some point (could have happened in transit from Japan or something). I think the 12V battery status can be checked per this page:
    Toyota Prius 12 Volt Auxiliary Battery with install kit for 2004 - 11