1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone else notice EV power is greater than ECO?

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by chenderson2, Feb 7, 2018.

1. chenderson2

chenderson2 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    When driving with the electric motor only I notice it has more pep than when using the gasoline engine. It is most noticeable as the charge goes to zero and the cars switched to gasoline power. The car feels like a heavy load has suddenly been placed on it.

ggalanti likes this.
  2. benagi

benagi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    All the Primes are that way. It took me some getting use to but now I know what to expect. You sure take a hit on the eco scores when the ice kicks in. Enjoy the ride. I sure am.

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's similar in the Volt. i test drove the Gen 1 Volt back in ... 2011? It was really peppy in EV mode but once I switched to Mountain Mode, it drove like a Prius.

4. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    This is just a guess but electric motors can build torque instantly but gasoline engines build torque with time after the engine starts.

Mark57, bwilson4web and benagi like this.
  5. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    My Prime in EV + ECO mode seems to have more kick than HV gas + Normal mode.

6. SteveMucc

SteveMucc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I believe what you're seeing is due to poor mapping of torque curves and throttle response between ev, ev+ice, and ev+ice (warmup).

it seems fairly smooth to me when the ice kicks in AFTER it has warmed up (that is, you're driving in hv mode with a warmed up engine and the ice kicks in and out, it feels rather smooth), however when the ice is in warmup and the car is trying to limit the power a cold engine is outputting it certainly feels like you're missing something...

It feels like they have the ev and ev+ice throttle mappings done nicely, but that the cold-ice safety is a downstream effect after the mapping is done and that is causing the irregularity. Or it could be something to do with mg1 no longer being available as a motor after the ice is running (only as a generator?).

Not sure, but there is definitely a poor feel when it's going into ice warmup. When it happens I always let off the gas and reapply to get back into some sort of sane mapping point.

heiwa likes this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    pip is the same way, engine driving is a drag.

8. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    heiwa likes this.
  9. zigzag

zigzag New Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius PHV
    Model:
    Excel
    I've only had my Prius just over a week. I noticed this effect and it generally happens at an awkward spot on my journey to work each morning. There is a steep hill where I can suddenly find myself holding up a line of traffic. I have now started turning EV mode off just before that point so that the engine is warmed up befor and that seem to work much better. It does however seem to knock my points down a bit on the display. Last week I scored 85/100 for the journey by the end of the week but this morning using that technique I only scored 55/100.

10. FuelMiser

FuelMiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    What you're feeling is torque, and electric motors supply full torque from zero RPM. Gas engines build torque gradually from idle.

11. I'mJp

I'mJp Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Three
    warm up cyclitus

vvillovv likes this.