1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone else seeing deceptive pricing tactics?

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by smackdownC, Aug 1, 2014.

1. smackdownC

smackdownC Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Was shopping between 3 dealers, the pricing ranged from $17.6K-$17.8K on a C2. Only a couple hundred dollar difference. I asked the local dealer to price match the dealer 2 hours away. They said they couldn't, and if I scrolled down, I'd see they already beat their price. Huh? So I scroll down. "Excludes freight/destination" Wth? Above, they show the MSRP, which clearly includes the freight/destination, and then they show an internet or e-price, and below that, the savings off MSRP. What kind of BS is that? So what could have been a good deal at $17.6K, now is pretty much $19K with dealer fees. What a raw deal. Especially with the regular Prius having a $1500 rebate.

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    We had similar with the "documentation charge", with this Prius. First bill of sale agreement they wrote up INCLUDED it. Then they rewrote it on their company (Open Road Toyota-Port Moody) stationary, and what do you know: that charge had gone from included to &295.

When I called them on it they actually took offense. Said they were doing me a favour when they finally took it off.

I'm just returning the favour, here. ;)

#2 Mendel Leisk, Aug 1, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
  3. MarcSmith

MarcSmith Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    when i was looking for a V I had the same thing happen. listed 18,999 and after dealer prep, ect, they were above 23K...

Auto dealers suck.... I know a lot are going "no haggle", but dealer prep fees, reconditioning, delivery, paper work fees...

its just a crock of brown smelly stuff...

4. smackdownC

smackdownC Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Yup, this is why I buy used. But looking at used pricing on 2012s with 30K+ miles for $16K-$18K, why even bother?

Mark323 likes this.
  5. MarcSmith

MarcSmith Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    new or used, it doesn't matter. if is on a dealers lot...they are padding the bill...

Mark323 likes this.
  6. smackdownC

smackdownC Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    The dealer said there is no mark up on them like the 4Runner, so that's why they do it.

Tyler S likes this.
  7. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Had the same thing happen back in 2003 when purchasing our new CRV.
    Local dealer "beat" the competition by six hundred $$- only to find on the "real" contract a new $600 Destination Charge added in on the very last line before the sales tax.
    I walked out and purchased a the competition since the two dealerships were exactly the same price at that point and one of them did disclose the Destination fee in the original pricing. The honest dealership got rewarded with the sale.

8. smackdownC

smackdownC Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    The extra $825 is a deal breaker and when you add in dealer fees, it's over $1,000 extra. I'll wait for a rebate since no dealer is going less than $19K with dealer fees.

9. Squirrelly

Squirrelly New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    24.1k sticker on my C2, 2013 brand new leftover. $18.4k discounted price in big yellow vinyl numbers on the side of the car parked up by the street at the dealer's lot; that's what got my attention. Pretty straightforward for the price of the C2, the only haggling was for the trade in value for my Mustang.
    Of course they tried to absolutely steal it. Car dealers are legalized thieves, that's all there is to it.

10. smackdownC

smackdownC Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    What options does it have? C2 is $21K with floor mats

11. Tyler S

Tyler S Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Three

Ya that is pretty crazy that they would do that. Integrity is huge in the auto business, and once your reputation is tarnished people will avoid your company like the plague. I bought my Prius from Sunrise Toyota out in Abbotsford solely because my brother bought a Yaris there 6 years ago and they were straight shooters the whole time, and provided pretty awesome customer follow up. There were definitely no bad surprises. It's pretty interesting what word of mouth can do, both in a positive and negative aspect.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  12. Squirrelly

Squirrelly New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    20.4k from Toyota Mfg. Japan, then Southeast Toyota Distibutors LLC, when it came into port at Jacksonville will add options and put the final window sticker on it. Mine has Eco-Friendly Leather seats, Security system, carpet mats including rear cargo mat, and ToyoGuard protection package that were all added by Southeast Toyota Distributors to get it up to $24k

13. smackdownC

smackdownC Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Interesting. Never seen one of those.

14. Squirrelly

Squirrelly New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Happens all the time in Southeast Toyota Distributors LLC territory.