1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone else with a dangerous job?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by koa, Jan 13, 2006.

1. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Not everyone here knows the saying of which you speak . . .

"There are old pilots, and there are bold pilots - but, there are no old bold pilots."

(It is a pilot axiom which basically says, being foolish while flying will get you killed.)

Which reminds me of another axiom . . .

“Flare to land, squat to pee.â€

(Navy pilots in regard to Air Force pilots. Just some good humored inter-service rivalry ;) )

Me personally, I preferred my runways taking me places around the world . . .

“Travel to exotic places. Meet interesting people. Then kill them.â€
    :huh:

2. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

[​IMG]

3. Mystery Squid

Damn!

Dude, is that REALLY worth it?

4. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona

wow that would be cool... if i come down there, will you give me a ride?

5. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I guess I'm #11.

I teach Junior High.

6. QED

QED New Member

When I was flying, military pilots were un-insurable (for life insurance, except by the government; probably still true). Any others on the list have this problem?

7. espoafd

espoafd New Member

Sure, Just get a hold of me when you are coming down and I will see what I can do.

I am actually headed up to the Seattle area this summer but without the balloon. I hope to have my prius by then and I don't think that the balloon will fit, even though I here that they are roomier than they look.

8. craigcush

craigcush Member

True

Police and firefighters may top the list if based on injury. Been there, done both.

Mine, in order;

Air Force: Pararescue. Later, Security police dog handler, Explosives and drugs.

Police: got old when I realized the public was easier on the Paramedics and Firefighters.

Paramedic: Driving was the most hazardous, truck or ambulance. Except for the fights in the back of the ambulance when the drugs wore off. (One patient walked out the door on the freeway)

Fire chief: you'd think the admin/politics would get you but I got caught in a building collapse.

The jobs won, but I'm still kicking.

9. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius

It would be cool if you could get Toyota to sponsor you with a Prius shaped Hot-air Balloon!

10. Mystery Squid

w3rd.

Particularly the cops that get highway duty... you know, sitting in a cop car in the break down lane as 18 wheelers blow by... yeech...

11. geologyrox

geologyrox New Member

When my husband applied for life insurance, the agent asked if he held a valid Pilots License. Since he's way overdue for a medical, and hasn't flown in quite some time, he said no. She said good - people who sign on as pilots get a rider that says any aviation instance isn't covered. Worth knowing.

12. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    hmm. i work with radioactive stuff, biohazard stuff, nasty chemicals, human and animal tissues/fluids, and cancer cell culture. yum. i think that becomes a more long term issue rather than a here-and-now problem. hubby's mechanic job isn't exactly the safest job ever either. he has had 3 occasions now where someone almost dropped/drove a car off a lift on or near him, and once someone screwed something up and sent a bolt flying just over his head that would have easily cracked his skull!

13. Mystery Squid

Or, you pay much extra for it...

14. brandon

brandon Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I work next door to a nuclear research reactor. I'm not saying it's dangerous or anything, but I notice the plants in the building do grow kind of weird, and sometimes it makes me wonder... :huh:

15. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i don't work with THAT kind of radioactive stuff... just stuff like 32P and 3H and 125I, simple biological stuff that really doesn't emit waves that travel very far and can be easily contained.

i don't think you have much to worry about, the regulations on those things are very strict.

16. brandon

brandon Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Oh, I absolutely agree. The guys that operate the facility do all kinds of monitoring and stuff. They run a fairly tight operation over there. That said, I still feel sorry for the kid who accidentally bumped into the keypad for the locked door one evening and triggered an armed response. I'm sure he was puzzled, and I bet he never saw it coming!