1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone else with loose trim rings on 15 inch OEM wheels?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by jadziasman, Aug 5, 2012.

1. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    How many Gen II owners of the early model years have had an issue with one or more loose trim rings on the 15 inch OEM wheels?

One of the trim rings on mine was loose in two places. I removed the trim ring from the wheel and discovered that the four of the six supports that hold the steel retaining ring had cracked at the base of the hub. I was fortunate that the trim ring didn't fly off while I was driving one day.

I repaired the loose supports with super glue and glued on two additional pieces of plastic on the inner side of each support to strengthen them. I did this on five of the six supports and used ten pieces of plastic.

I noticed that ebay has these trim rings so there must be others who have lost the trim rings while driving.

I will eventually inspect the other three trim rings for cracks and make the same repairs on them.

2. HaroldW

HaroldW Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Wheels look better with-out them. I removed mine but install them when I am some place that requires parallel parking:confused: H

3. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I recently replaced one of them on our '09. The ring had separated from the metal ring base and the plastic outer area (shiny) was sticking out and flopping around. It never did fly off even at highway speeds. I opted to get a new one from ToyotaNation.com as their outlet is here in town. It was more expensive than the one's on Ebay, but I did get a OEM part which I prefer.

4. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The trim ring on mine was REALLY loose. I heard a noise coming from the wheel any time I drove over a bump. The noise was annoying me enough that I had to locate what what causing it - which was in fact that loose trim ring.

Since re-installing the repaired trim ring, there's no more noise and it appears to be quite snug.

I always try to repair a part before buying a replacement. It's rewarding when you can repair since you've accomplished something and you have money you can spend elsewhere.

Yoda has been relatively trouble-free so far but I'm not looking forward to regular repairs of minor issues such as this and that wretched HID leveling sensor. I have better things to do with my time, such as composing Priuschat posts.

5. daveatm14

daveatm14 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I have replaced at least 1 of the trim rings with a used trim ring from eBay about 60K miles ago. Just got new tires and now need to replace 1 more. Has anyone used the aftermarket new trim rings from eBay? One listing has 4 new aftermarket trim rings for $69 including shipping.

I fixed my HID leveling sensor and it lasted about a year or so and then failed again so I purchased a new sensor. It is very simple to replace, just remove old and bolt on new. I did not need any calibration.

2005 with 157K miles

6. ewxlt66

ewxlt66 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Just noticed the 08 I just bought has missing Trim Rings on the right side. Deciding whether or not to go ahead and remove them from the left or buy rings for the right.

7. mikednpv

mikednpv Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Go without the trim rings. They're a pain and eventually everyone looses at least one.
    They are there to improve the fuel economy but the savings is negligible and if you ever buy a replacement, you more than spend the savings you had in fuel.
    Besides, the wheels look better with out them.

8. ewxlt66

ewxlt66 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Good point. What's the best way to remove them?

9. mikednpv

mikednpv Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    They just pull off. Pry them off with a large screwdriver being careful not to scratch your rim.

10. ewxlt66

ewxlt66 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Thanks!