1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone end up with noisy tires after long overdue rotation?

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by MannySwol, Nov 14, 2016.

1. MannySwol

MannySwol Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Noticed front tires were getting wore out.. about 3/32" left, so I ordered 4 tires.

When the tires came, I checked out the rears.. they actually had about 6/32" left and looked good, so I decided to only replace two and keep the other two on hand.

The car saw normal rotations until 25K... but car is at 54K now. My last car, a Honda Civic wore out tires almost evenly and I never rotated.... I hadn't realized this car chews up the fronts as badly as it did until now.

Tire place insisted putting new tires on rear and moving rears to front. Wife suggested the rear of the car felt light on wet roads, so I agreed.

Now, I've got some tire noise on the fronts. It's not super loud, but obnoxious... seems to be even left and right. Some threads in other forums I found describe it as a "helicopter noise" others a "wa-wa-wa". The only thing I "feel" is the noise resonating.. the steering wheel doesn't move or vibrate.. car still tracks straight. My gut instinct was right (I think), the rears obviously wear differently based on the differing tread amount.. and I imagine some camber differences as well.

Has anyone experienced this? I'm debating rotating them back to the rear... but if I can expect it to subside, I'll just live with it.

#1 MannySwol, Nov 14, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2016
  2. MannySwol

MannySwol Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I can't believe this got no replies.

Anyway, I gave it about 1800 miles and ended up putting the old tires back on the rear and the newer tires back on the front.

This solved about 90% of the noise issue. Feels like driving a new car again. Good enough for me.

bisco likes this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    sorry man, never saw it. at 54k, i would think they'd get noisy anyway. at 48k, mine were horrible, but still plenty of tread. couldn't stand the noise anymore, so i put new sneakers on. i'm not fussy about rotating.

4. MannySwol

MannySwol Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I don't do the rotations unless I'm in for a service and it is free. I typically do all work myself and it is a pain to rotate.

This car though, man it chewed through the fronts. I bet I can get another 20K out of the originals with them on the rear.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    maybe so, but i wouldn't call 54k chewing through them. especially oem's, which are designed for mpg's and not long wearing.

6. MannySwol

MannySwol Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Compared to the rear tires is what I meant... A relative comparison.

But yes, I agree. Even 54K while neglecting rotations isn't bad at all for OEM.

bisco likes this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what did you replace them with?

8. MannySwol

MannySwol Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Yokohama Avid Ascend

bisco likes this.
  9. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Has anybody else noticed that Goodyear Fuel Max tires get VERY noisy after they are about 1/2 way worn out. Yorkahamma tires seem much better

bisco likes this.