1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone ever break an oil filter cap w/ too much force?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by mchbc, Aug 2, 2011.

1. mchbc

mchbc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I cannot (thus far) get my oil filter cap off for another oil change. (2010 Prius, 52,000 kms/ 31,000 miles). I bought one of those metal cap-wrenches (after a cheap black plastic one would spin right around the filter), used the metal one with success until now, had it get stuck on the filter cap, but decided to leave it permanently attached as others have.

Well.... at two oil changes later the new metal wrench-cap was loose on the filter cap, and in fact too loose. Upon attempted removal, it started to skip over all of the black ridges on the cap, and the cap would not budge. I still have not been able to remove the cap.

My cap-wrench now comes off just fine, and by putting adhesive tape on the inside of the metal fluted wrench I have made it fit snugly. So, now it will not try to skip past the ridges on the cap, but I have feared damaging the cap by giving my wrench too much removal force.

The filter cap is still firmly in place. The last oil change was oil only, no cartridge. Very frustrating.

(As well, my oil filter access drop-down door is just about completely broken at the hinge after four oil changes. I had to screw on a metal clamp to hold it, and I plan to add some full metal hinges if replacement is not covered by TSB that I've just learned about.)

Bottom line and question: Has anyone ever broken a filter cap by torquing it off too forcefully?

2. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sounds like the cap is getting far too much torque. Are you following the 18ftlbs spec?

I am pretty sure you won't break it but could possibly strip the edges off. There are tricks out there to remove when that happens. I would have the dealer remove the existing cap if you can't and then have it replaced. Then only use minimal torque (18ftlbs) to secure it from now on.

Also have them run that TSB to see if you car qualifies.

3. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Use a pair of pliers, lock something, the name escapes me. But they can be adjusted quite wide to accommodate the diameter of the filter. :D

4. pjksr02

pjksr02 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It might not be a bad idea to have another filter cap on-hand, when you attempt this "complicated removal." Then you would be set if the old one breaks, and/or you could then have one that isn't rounded off. Filter caps are pretty much only torqued hand-tight, at 18 [ft-lb], with an oiled gasket.

5. cap160

cap160 Older Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five

Channel:)

1 person likes this.
  6. rrolff

rrolff Prius Surgeon

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My latest mechanic suggested I keep a spare - they took 20 mins getting the last one off (guess the previous guy over torqued). There've been other similar posts...

I no longer do my own - since for $10 - $15 someone else will do it for ya (I bring the oil) - but now explain to anyone who changes it - be careful with the oil cover door,and be careful not to over tighten

7. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    A lot of oil filter tools are 65 or 66 mm and they slip on our filter caps which are 64 mm. A good metal 64 mm filter wrench is worth getting. There are several available and you may even be able to get one from a Toyota parts dept. I think I have the one in this link and it works fine without slipping.

Save on Assenmacher TOY 640 at ToolTopia.com

2 people like this.
  8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Honda's oil filter wrench is a perfect fit, fwiw.

If the corners are rounding on your current oil filter cap, you could try a strap type wrench, or wide jawed pliers designed for oil filters. With the strap type, a little pumice under the strap will help it get traction.

9. mee081224

mee081224 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What kind of oil do you buy and how much does it cost in addition to labor?

10. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    +1

My Toyota dealer charged me $20 labor several weeks ago for the oil service. I supplied a 5qt jug of Mobil 1 0w-20 and the OE Toyota filter.

11. car78412

car78412 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I had ordered a Klann 64mm oil filter wrench KLA0122-308 but received a klann 65 mm wrench with the same part number. 65mm was even stamped on the wrench!! I sent it back since it was too large so they sent me the same wrench again saying it was 64mm. What knuckleheads!!! I have ordered the Assenmacher as per your recommendation. I also checked Amazon.com which has comments from other users saying that the Assenmacher fits the Prius perfectly. I never had so much difficulty getting a proper oil filter wrench for a car.
    Forget Toyota..They told me that they do not sell tools. They said that their mechanics get their tools from Snap-On Tools. In the dealership parking lot I saw the Snap-On Truck so I thought I would get one from him. The guy was very nice. He did not have one in his truck so he said he would order one for me. He looked on his computer and could not find one that size. Amazing.

12. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Amazing, just use channel locks. Most of the time I hand tighten good and can then loosen by hand. :D

13. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'll stick with Toyota's torque spec.

14. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    OK, but most shops in the US just hand tighten, in fact until I joined PC, I never heard of anybody using a torque wrench on a oil filter. In fact it seems a awkward and somewhat difficult tool to use and obtain especially in a general auto repair shop.:fencing::

15. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    One stumbling block is finding the torque specification: the owners manual has zip on the entire topic of oil changes. On the Prius Oil Filter box it says to check for the value stamped on the oil filter housing (cap).

By comparison, Honda Owners Manuals detail oil change, and give torque spec's. Now if only they could build a Hybrid battery...

I happened to be really close to the filter the other day (draining a little overfill), but damned if I could see anything on the cap. Maybe if I had it off and in my hands, in good light. But anyway, from the Repair Manual, it's 18 lb/ft.

BTW, torque wrenches are really not that hard to find: any automotive shop, or Sears for example, has them. The lower the torque value the "fuzzier" they are, ie: lower values tend to be more inaccurate. A decent micrometer style is best.

Anyway, they're around $40. Good investment: if you ever remove your own wheels for example, you should have and use one.

16. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have never used a torque wrench on my wheels, I just make sure they are tight, now on my RV I torqed the nuts as I was concerned about the larger rims. The one time I really needed torque wrench was in reinstalling a head on a engine, there it is critical.

17. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    One reason to consider a torque wrench for the wheels is the Toyota wheel studs, they will apparently break fairly easily. At least a couple of owners have posted on this site that they had broken wheel studs from over tightening. It's not to hard to exceed the recommended 76 ft lbs.

1 person likes this.