1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone ever had to replace a front wheel bearing?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Bronze84, Aug 26, 2013.

1. Bronze84

Bronze84 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ... And if so at what mileage?

My prius has currently covered 72k. I can sometimes hear a slight whining noise when taking my foot off the accelerator, I'm pretty sure it's not the regen system or anything. It's not noticeable all the time and it's not loud but it's definitely there. The only other thing I can think it would be is a bearing?

2. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hi Martin, the transmission does make a slight whining noise. If it is a wheel bearing the noise will get louder when you load that wheel by turning (if it is the drivers side bearing it will get louder when you go round a left hand bend).
    The bearing comes complete in a bolt in hub (4 bolts) and is not to difficult to change, but expensive considering a press in bearing would be about £20.
    Hope this helps.

John (Britprius)

mtber likes this.
  3. GerryK

GerryK Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi
    I did mine a few weeks ago on a 2009 at 85k miles. It's not an easy job, not too hard. You do need to be an experienced DIY type person with some experience in this sort of thing. Follow the instructions if you find them on the web. It involves removing the steerring knuckle etc..

I bought the bolt on hub assembly for about $125.

My symptoms - a hum that began at about 25mph and went away or got drowned out around 45 mph. It did not increase or decrease in volume when I turned left or right but it did end up being the right front wheel bearing.

Good luck.

4. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just took my vehicle to the shop today, I thought maybe it was tire noise, but it kept getting louder over time, and the type of pavement didn't really seem to matter. They say both front hub bearings are bad, and for them to do it is about $900 (Toyota dealer...my favorite mechanic closed shop awhile back). I'm at 71K miles for my 2006 (7.5 years old). I drive in salt and snow, and am not afraid to plow thru a snow drift... which might have caused the problem.