1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone ever install a lock for glove box?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by dthomas5, Aug 30, 2007.

1. dthomas5

dthomas5 Junior Member

I noticed in a thread about the "secret storage bin" in the Prius that someone had mentioned that they were surprised there were no locking compartments inside the vehicle...which got me to thinking that every car I've ever owned had a locking glove compartment (though I never locked up any gloves). This is the first car I've had that did not have one. Hmmmm, has anyone tried to install some sort of lock on this thing? I know the car doesn't even necessarily have to use a key to begin with, but if you ever have to use valet parking, or find yourself needing to secure something in the car, it would be nice to lock it up.

2. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    In this day and age how could Toyota not put in a lock for the glove box? This makes no sense.

LnG and Sezy like this.
  3. wiiprii

wiiprii New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rest @ Aug 30 2007, 12:53 PM) [snapback]504465[/snapback]</div>
    The *only* car I've ever owned with a locking glove box was a 1970 VW Squareback. My 1988 Honda didn't have one, my 1991 Corolla doesn't have one.

What are you guys wanting to lock up in the glovebox??

I leave my iPod in the cars center storage bin, I'm not worried about it.

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wiiprii @ Aug 30 2007, 03:55 PM) [snapback]504467[/snapback]</div>
    I second this question. I've never locked anything inside a glove box. As soon as you lock it up, someone will want to find out what's inside. Where I live, people don't lock houses. When I go on a trip, I don't leave anything in the car that is worth stealing.

Tom

5. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    If someone wants in your car, I'm sure they'll have no problem ripping open a locked glove box, as well.

6. San_Carlos_Jeff

San_Carlos_Jeff Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    Now I have Al Gore's voice stuck in my head talking about a "lock box" :p

The last car I remember with a locking glove box was my 71 Volvo.

7. DelerPrius

DelerPrius New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rest @ Aug 30 2007, 03:53 PM) [snapback]504465[/snapback]</div>
    Cost cutting, like everything else. Same reason the passenger door key lock has disappeared from most late model cars. Manufacturers figured out that if nobody, or hardly anybody, is using them, they can save money by eliminating them. Then they can bring them back later as an "option" and charge extra.

Remember how vent windows disappeared in the late '70's, only to reappear later on some models as optional equipment?

8. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wiiprii @ Aug 30 2007, 12:55 PM) [snapback]504467[/snapback]</div>
    Well this is first car I have ever owned that didn't have a locking glove box. Granted a locking glove box won't protect items inside it but it will slow a criminal down slightly and may gain attention from others.

I would have paid the extra $10 for Toyota to have included a locking glove box.

9. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  10. chancejd

chancejd New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    A glovebox lock would be handy for gun storage for those of us who pack heat. I know there are safes you can install in your car for that very purpose. Does anyone know a good, small safe for gun storage in their Prius, or am I the only gun nut in this forum? ;-)

11. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I will bet anyone to put the best Glove Box lock on, and I will still be able to get into the G-Box in 15 seconds or less!!

Simply put, the Plastic the dash is made is just not strong enough to keep somebody out!!!

12. tigerpilot

tigerpilot Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I keep my Sig 9MM in the lower center console drawer. It will close about 90%. Easy to get a concealed permit in Florida.
    Regards.....

1 person likes this.
  13. anthofang

anthofang New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    honestly everyone i know who has a locked glove box doesn't use it. I think that back in the days when cars didn't have quite as good locking system for the car, it was needed. Now it's has evolved into convenient storage put in/ take out sorta thing. I put my wallet in there when i go to gym and nothing has ever happened. Even in my old honda civic, didn't have lockbox, no problem.

14. Qlara

Qlara New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    You can always be the first to install a lock on the Prius glove, what's stopping you to try if you do want one?

Thought I think Toyota has its reasons not to put locks on anywhere inside the cabin....Cost-cutting maybe one, but the objective of go-keyless is the main.
    Think about it: If you don't need key to enter/start-up your car (SKS), why you'd want to pop-out the key to open the glove or gas door/cap? That's just go against the equipment of SKS.

15. EZW1

EZW1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four Touring
    The last 3 cars I've owned had a locking glove box. I do miss it but I'm not concerned. My guess is Toyota didn't put on on the Pri becasue of the design of the lid. It is not square and opens kinda funky. It may be hard to put a lock on such a door.

16. bigredprius

bigredprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    you must not park in city garages often

Sezy likes this.
  17. LEVE

LEVE Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I use a simple pistol safe. It's secured in the back under the deck, if I'm not CC'ing the pistol. It's from Cablea's, Secure-It-Handgun Storage Safe, Item: IA 229676, $35.00. I figure it's safer from prying eyes and thieves there than in the glovebox....

18. jdonalds

jdonalds Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Touring
    We have a locking gun safe that slides under the seat and cables to the seat leg. It is not as convenient as a console safe, nor is it as secure. But we can't find a console safe for the Prius.

19. jdonalds

jdonalds Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Touring
    A glove box is specifically illegal as a gun safe in California.

20. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Maybe you could build in some sort of solenoid mechanism that could be completely concealed, attracting no special attention, and tapped into an ignition or door lock circuit so as to just rely on the car's own fob code recognition, no extra key.

-Chap