1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone ever install a lock for glove box?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by dthomas5, Aug 30, 2007.

1. Bethany459

Bethany459 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring

2. Bethany459

Bethany459 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I recently bought a 2008 Prius - with all the extras, super clean, low milage, etc. and I, too, am aghast at not having a locking glove box. My first car without one. And, like a few of you mentioned, critical if you regularly use valet parking or even getting your car washed.

I don't think it was an oversight on the part of Toyota - they seemed to think of nearly everything else.

I think it's a manifestation of the cultural difference. Japanese culture is steeped in the sense of personal honor. After the earthquake and tsunami a few years ago, I remember a tv reporter commenting on the fact that there was no looting, and citing the Japanese sense of honor.

Still, if anyone has come-up with an idea of how to get a lock for the glove box, please post.

An idea that doesn't involve a lot of bending and struggling underneath the seats or rear deck - I'm old-er and not as bendy as I used to be.

Thanks

3. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    1968,a friend had a Triumph TRD, custom rebuild, we were kids, a local cop pulled him over and made him open the glove, he wouldn't, the cop couldn't, so knowing the cop would escalate, he took the back out made it a pass through to the floor, the policeman again pulled him over, he refused, the policeman insisted, pryed it open, my friend chuckled, the last laugh is the best laugh.
    Small town, lots of complaints about that particular policman, he was vanquished.

Anyway, why lock the glove, if you've got a gun, to bad, they already broke in.
    If you've stored cash, to bad.

4. jdonalds

jdonalds Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Touring
    Don't know if you want to store a gun or not but...

In California it is illegal to store a gun in a locked glove box or a center armrest storage compartment.

What we have are lock boxes. One under the passenger seat in one of our vehicles, and one inside the armrest storage compartment. Both are cabled to the car in a secure way.

No locked compartment or box is going to prevent a determined thief from getting into your locked box. But it can slow them down. We never leave a gun in the car when it is parked at home, even in the garage. Guns leave the car and go into the gun safe at home. But while around town it is sometimes necessary to leave the gun in the car. In that case it must be in a locked box.

If it is something other than a gun the same would still be a good option. Perhaps you want to leave your wallet or smart phone in the car. A metal locked box cabled to the floor is likely a better option than a lock on the glove box.

Here are two examples:

5. LnG

LnG Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    What are you? Cops?

One locks up their property, papers, etc. Why do you lock your front door? What's behind there? What do you in there?

Toyota had locks on their 90s Camrys. Obviously they have bowed down to the U.S. as there is a particular law the police have been breaking. Then go and lie about it in court.

6. mjoo

mjoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The biggest reason why I don't store expensive stuff in my car is because it's the most popular location for theft.

Pixel XL ?

Raytheeagle likes this.