1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone ever need to replace their hybrid battery?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by gjertsen, Mar 24, 2010.

1. gjertsen

gjertsen Junior Member

We own two 2006 Prii, and the older one (62,000 miles) did this over the weekend:

1. The engine, brake, and emergency lights all came on simultaneously.
    2. Before we could get it to a dealership, the Energy screen showed no bars on the battery. No blue arrows ever showed battery being charged, whether braking or accelerating.
    3. Engine sounded like it was racing, even when stopped. Exhaust fan was on next to the rear right seat. Barely any power at all with the accelerator.
    4. Taking foot off accelerator did not slow the car down! Car maintained speed (increased speed downhill) with no accelerator pedal depression (this is when I thought I might wind up on the news).

The dealership is telling me it's a hybrid battery malfunction, and they're replacing it (free under warranty). Though it's comforting that it's under warranty, it still kind of freaks me out that at 62,000 miles I'd have to replace the battery.

Anyone else have a battery fail? At what mileage?

1 person likes this.
  2. linuxpenguin

linuxpenguin Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yikes--sounds like the battery may have been defective from the start. Typically they last 100,000+ miles as they are very sturdy batteries. Did you by chance do anything crazy like prolonged EV mode usage, "limp" mode or drive the car when it ran out of gas? Also, did you leave the car sitting for extended periods of time (months) without starting it?

All of these factors can significantly reduce the lifespan of the OEM traction battery--but that's still pretty young to be dying...

The condition you described is a failsafe mode where the vehicle doesn't use any stored electric energy (all energy comes directly/indirectly from the gasoline engine, not the HV battery). This happens when the vehicle determines a fault with the HV battery assembly and is "normal" behavior for a battery fault (not normal as in good!).

Andrew

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    At 61K miles and five years of age, the traction battery died on my 2001 (DTC P3006).

At 27K miles and two years of age, the traction battery died on my HiHy (DTC P0A80).

Therefore I was pleasantly surprised when I reached 100K miles on the 2004 last week, without needing a new traction battery. If/when it finally fails I'll probably install a salvage battery.

4. prioki

prioki Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    The battery on my 2001 was replaced last year at 95,000 miles.

5. usbseawolf2000

usbseawolf2000 HSD PhD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    My 2006 has 120k miles and no issue at all with the HV battery.

Do you live on a hill by any chance?

6. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Eh. Stuff happens. Be pleased that you will have a new battery which will almost certainly give you a decade of perfect service.

7. BAllanJ

BAllanJ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Congrats on your lottery win! You've got a Prius with 62k on it with a new battery that you didn't have to pay for!

8. gjertsen

gjertsen Junior Member

I don't know if it's a lottery win or not—certainly if the battery warranty was reset with the new battery I'd be pretty happy, but that I'm not sure of.

I live in Central FL, so there are no hills to speak of. I don't have any EV switch, I drive every day, and I've never let it run out of gas.

So I guess I just had a bad battery. Odd.

9. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The warranty is not reset. That event amounts to a lottery win, enjoy! :p

10. hampdenwireless

hampdenwireless Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid

You will have higher resale value (keep documentation of battery change!) and if you do not sell you should have eight years more of service from the battery.

11. Rest

Rest Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    What ought to be freaking you out instead is what your dealership will scratch or tear, during the replacement.

12. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Maybe your hot climate contributed to it, although 62K miles is pretty short.

It seems some folks here on PC who have needed replacements live in warmer climates. Patrick, IIRC was living in So Cal at the time he needed his replacements.

When I was in living back in CA and had no covered parking at work, I went out of my way to look for spots that would be in the sun less time and to keep the windows opened slightly while parked at work.

13. Eug

Eug Swollen Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Technology
    What do the replacements in Canada go for these days? I have a 2004 Prius and was wondering if I should keep it much longer after my warranty is up (2012).

I only have 87000+ km on it though (54000+ miles). I'm thinking at this rate it'd take me to 2016 or so to wear out the battery.

EDIT:

I found this page, but it only lists US pricing. The used battery idea does sound like a good idea though, esp. if the car is 12 years old or older when I do replace the battery.

14. Pepper1079

Pepper1079 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I've got a 2007 with 110,000 on it and still runs like new. No drop off in milage either.
    Jim

15. HighBreed

HighBreed Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I live in hot So California, my 2004 has 110k miles, and both traction and accessory batteries are still original.

JMD likes this.
  16. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    This is what warranties are for -- to cover the rare defective part. I do admit that I am happy I live in a CARB compliant state that extends my hybrid warranty to 10/150k miles, but I would not lose any sleep over an 8/100k warranty, since the second hand replacement cost is so inexpensive.

I do think it is prudent to learn simple ownership behaviors that tend to extend the life our our cars and their components. In the case of the battery it means avoiding cooking them. I park in the shade when I can, use window shades, have tinted the windows, and leave the windows open a bit for ventilation on hot days. If I lived in an even hotter climate, I would buy a cloth car cover.

17. cunnink2

cunnink2 Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Just today my 2004 Prius (93,000 miles) began to beeping sounds from the engine compartment. Called Toyota and they advised that the hybrid batteries may need to be replaced. Do these batteries have a 100,000 mile warranty? Is it prorated? Has anyone had to replace batteries after 100,000 miles? How much do they cost?

18. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I am in your neighborhood, the warranty is not prorated, it is 100%

Once you are past warranty, you have 3 battery options:

new retail $2250
    Rebuilt $1500
    Used $500ish, although you often need two.

All plus labor, unless you plan to do it your self

dbcassidy and cunnink2 like this.
  19. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Are there any other symptoms cunnink? Like rapidly changing state of charge (the purple/blue/green battery bars) or loss of power? What about reduction in MPG's? I'm interested in what warning signs we are likely to get if the battery is near it's end of life.

20. Mike Dimmick

Mike Dimmick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Rubbish. The HV ECU (which is behind your glovebox) does not report battery issues with a buzzer. The battery ECU is in the battery box in the rear. Most likely it's the wireless door lock buzzer reporting the key has gone out of range with the engine on (assuming you have the Smart Key feature). I suppose that could indicate a problem with the 12V battery (all sorts of stuff goes peculiar with a weak 12V).

If the HV battery is failing you will see the Master Warning Light on the dash illuminate, and an icon with an exclamation point superimposed on a car appear at the top of the MFD. One of the ECUs will log a code which can be retrieved with the Toyota diagnostic tester (MasterTech or TechStream laptop).

The first step is to get the car on the tester and read the diagnostic codes: if it starts beeping unexpectedly there will be a code logged - but it's almost certainly not an HV battery problem, and replacing it is the very last step in almost any diagnostics tree.

PriusGuy32 and Rae Vynn like this.