1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone ever need to replace their hybrid battery?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by gjertsen, Mar 24, 2010.

1. Lew Whitney

Lew Whitney New Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

We have a 2001 Prius as well (we are the original owners). The battery bank went out at 99,563 miles. The dealer replaced it at no charge (under warranty). 45,000 miles later the battery has gone out again this time the dealer wants $4850 plus another $1400 to fix another related issue. The dealer won't answer any of my concerns and I called the dealer headquarter in Honolulu and the manager (who I soke to once and was very rude an not cooperative) will not return my calls over the last two months.

I notice (by researching things and downloading a battery installation manual online) that you can fit a 2004-2009 battery bank, even though it is slightly larger than the 2001 battery.

Does any one have any recommendations about options or recourse with Toyota? Other options? We are on the Big Island of Hawaii.

If I have to locate batteries by myself – what is the best source? How can I sight unseen be guaranteed that the “used†battery bank is good and going to last me for several years?

Mahalo in advance for responding to my many questions!

Aloha and Peace

Lew
    Kokolulu Farm and Cancer Retreats in Hawaii
    Hawi, Hawaii

2. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
  3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I would seriously question that it is worthwhile for you to spend $6,250 for repairs on a 2001 with 145K miles. That is more than the car's market value.

What is the unrelated issue?

It is true that you can fit 2G battery modules into the Classic battery case. However you'll need to obtain two 2G traction batteries which yield 56 modules, so that you'll have 38 to install into the Classic battery case. As for source, eBay is probably as good as any.

You cannot be guaranteed that the used battery will last any length of time. You've already found that a new battery won't necessarily last you for several years.

The used battery containing 2G modules that Jeff D suggested has a one year warranty. A new battery that you buy from Servco will also have a one year warranty. It's unclear which one is going to be better.

If you are able to DIY install, you might consider buying a new traction battery from one of the Mainland US Toyota dealers that offer a 25% from MSRP on parts sales. For example, I buy my parts from Champion Toyota in Houston. However the freight cost to your location might be quite high.

4. Amyshubby

Amyshubby 2017 Prius Prime Advanced

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced

I completely agree. I just had to replace my battery (4 1/2 yrs and 113,000 miles old) and the car was driving fine until ALL my warning lights went on, including one on the MFD that I never even knew existed. Luckily in NY the warranty on the battery is 150,000 so I am now the receipient of a new battery that will hopefully last me another 100,000+ years!

5. David St. Hubbins

David St. Hubbins New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Our 2007 with 57,000 miles just had the battery replaced (one block was one volt low), so I am very curious about the 2004 to 2009 Prius HV / Traction battery failure info. I was just starting to look for another Prius because the 2007 has been such a great car, then the battery failure came up, which halted my purchase search.

I found some info on the web that mentioned the "classic" failure mode (rapidly changing battery charge bars, battery cooling fan running on high, lots of nifty lights lit up on the dash, etc.). So, this is not all that uncommon. I also find it REALLY hard to believe that I would have the "luck" of the almost non-existent failure (should I play the Lottery to test the one-in-a-million luck?).

I was verrrrry curious about the batteries and whether or not I should continue looking for a high mileage gen II Prius as a second car. So, I opened up the battery bay (do not try this at home....I am a professional) and verified that, yes, one of the batteries was 1 volt lower than the others.

A few thoughts...The computer monitors these batteries very closely, and does some good things when the pack looks suspicious, like setting the warning light and minimizing battery use so that you can still start your engine. The dealer even said the car was fine to drive for the few days it took to get a second failure then another two weeks with the light on to order the battery pack.

Also, the computer is very picky, since this was one cell at one volt loss. So, you know it is very conservative, providing early protection. It looks like there are a few sources for used batteries, so if you are electronically handy, you could charge and load profile these batteries and some purchased used ones to make a fairly well matched pack for well under $1000.

Bottom line, I would still buy a high mileage 2004 to 2009 Prius knowing that the battery failure is not ALL that fiscally traumatic. Now that transaxle issue is another matter of consideration...

6. bobjeri

bobjeri New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Dealer in Port Angeles, WA quoted about $3200 to replace a gen 2 battery ... labor and parts. but I wouldn't count on it.

7. 3island

3island No need to canoe across the river

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes! 155,000 miles on 2006 Prius.

These symptoms mirror what happened to me last night on my drive home from work. The only difference was that my warning lights came on a few days in advance of the loss of power, etc. The car indeed increased speed when letting up on the pedal while going downhill. I went about 35 miles at about 35 mph to the Toyota dealer.

When I got to the dealership I shut the car off and upon restart it immediately began to recharge. It went from being empty to full WAAY too fast. One bar to full in less than ten minutes idling in the lot.

This morning at the shop I hinted weakly that the issue may be the HV battery. I was informed "we've never replaced one yet!", while the other shop fellow said, "If that's what it is, she's totaled."

Three hours later, the tests had been run and yes, I needed the new HV. 3200 was the quote, nearly identical to the next nearest dealer who ALSO said they had never replaced a battery. I purchased a used 2004 HV battery from a wreck that had occurred at 28,000 miles for $550. Both dealerships predicted 3-4 hours on the install, but two different fellas at the "larges Prius salvage yard in the world" said they could do it in not much more than ten minutes. "The dealership will take a few hours."

IF ANYONE HAS SUGGESTIONS TO LEND TO THE FIRST TIME INSTALLERS, I'D BE HAPPY TO HEAR FROM YOU BEFORE THURSDAY! Thank you.

1 person likes this.
  8. 3island

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Well, so far so good. Chester Berg Toyota in Bemidji, MN put in my "salvage" battery for about $250 and the car acts just like it did for the first 155,000 miles. So, 550 for the salvage battery and 250 for install=$800.
    It turns out it didn't take them as long to replace the battery as they thought it would, so I guess a fair comparison would be 800 used battery, 3000 for new battery. Considering the low failure rate of the batteries, what chance is it that this one will ever fail?!! Stay tuned.

Now, what to do with the old battery? Any ideas?

Dino33ca and dhanson865 like this.
  9. donalmilligan089

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I had to replace hv in 2005 because of my bad. I kept trying to start the car even thought the throttle body was malfunctioing due to wreck. Once the hv is depleted to a certan point there is no reclamation eccept to replace. I replaced with a used one for 1000 $

10. MJFrog

MJFrog Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A
    There's suppose to be a $150-$200 bounty for recycling the things. Call the Toyota info line...There's suppose to be info printed on the battery itself about recycling it.

11. 3island

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have heard of the bounty, but never found anything in concrete. I called Toyota yesterday and they sent and email to the dealer on who to contact. The dealer got caught in a circular phone maze, so the battery is sitting there for the time being. I'd be happy to claim a bounty!

12. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'm interested in buying your battery and sent you a PM earlier. But if you manage to get cash for it from your dealer, please let us know. Most stories I have seen are that the dealer will accept your battery for recycling for free and use that $200 towards shipping/handling/profit etc.

MTA: If you sell it to me, I'd be happy to tell you what was wrong with it after I take it apart.

1 person likes this.
  13. Tekdeus

Tekdeus Shifted to Green

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is there a poll on this subject anywhere on this forum where members can vote? For example I'm curious to see, on average, out of say 100 people over 80,000 miles in a '04 to '06 have had had to replace their battery?

I talked to a good friend who works in the Toyota parts department, and he estimates the rate would be only about 1%, based on how many batteries he sells vs the sheer number of hybrid Toyotas out there.

14. seilerts

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Gen 1 (2001-2003) has a higher failure rate than Gen 2 (2004-2009). Gen 2 failures are rare, maybe of order 0.1% or less.

It is possible to do a sanity check if you are looking for a used car. Have your good friend borrow a Techstream scantool and check the HV battery highest and lowest block voltages. The difference between high and low should be 0.2V or less.

15. 3island

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    25,000 miles on the used battery I put in. No problems whatsoever.

16. erkman

erkman New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have about 75k on my 2006 which threw a P0A7F (Hybrid Battery Pack Deterioration) code last night

Hoping for a new battery, won't be able to get to the shop till Monday I think, has not changed anything with my driving, drove 44 miles this morning, no problems, still getting 52 MPG

17. seilerts

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    P0A7F is a computer problem. There is a TSB on it, see attached.

Attached Files:

2 people like this.
  18. erkman

erkman New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

It looks to me like they will need to replace the ECU (am I reading it right?) Is this covered by Toyota?

19. seilerts

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yes and yes. Warranty coverage is 8 yrs/100,000 miles. No matter what's going on, you are currently covered. Your out of pocket had better be zero, and you should be able to drop it off at the dealer immediately and get a free loaner.

1 person likes this.
  20. tnt01prius

tnt01prius Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Help me understand this. Why is it that we don't test all suspect HV battery packs for possible bad modules, corrosion, leaks, etc.? Why is the solution always replace the whole pack - regardless if the car is 10 yrs old?

czyfrme and Dino33ca like this.