1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone ever need to replace their hybrid battery?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by gjertsen, Mar 24, 2010.

1. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    This must have been sitting for a very long time after the accident, several years, or it really has extremely high miles and they had replaced the combination meter (a common problem) without reprogramming it. If a taxi isn't clocking 50,000+ miles per year, the driver and/or owner aren't going to make any money.

2. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Agreed. I know the odometer readings/calculations are stored in at least 2 places, I believe 3 in the Prius. Meaning when you replace the combination meter it will work and display the mileage from the donor car, but the other ECU's will keep record of the actual mileage. This can be read out by a Toyota Dealership. I would think that before replacing a $1K to $1.5K part (Toyota cost approximation) they would instruct their dealers to actually check the mileage. Perhaps the tech just got in, looked at the screen, and decided that was enough?

But a 34,000mile taxi was no profitable taxi. Time is the biggest enemy of the batteries. So if it did 34,000 miles in 2006 and then halfway through the year got totaled, then sat in a salvage yard unnoticed until 2011, that would explain it all. However with the last gas spike Prius sale madness I would have thought the salvage yard would offload it if they had it for a high premium.

3. kevin3

kevin3 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have 2005 prius just passed 200,000 miles with no signs of hybrid battery issues. I bought it in 2008 with 50k miles, so not sure if any replacements before that but the seller didnt mention any. Im in No. California valley and only rare high hill climbs.

I also just replaced the 12V battery at 200K mile and 7 years old with an optima, although it also didnt need replacing from any functional point of view - it still seemed to wrk fine. Just thought it was due and better safe than sorry.

Dino33ca likes this.
  4. Cross Country

Cross Country New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    2005 with 119k. Two days ago, I got the main warning light along with other lights you guys explained like VSC and such. Almost the same as when I had to change the cooling pump or whatever from the recall. But thats all I noticed until TODAY! Driving home I noticed my hybrid battery level dropped to 2 bars. Then I was at the red light and had very very very poor acceleration (during rush hour)....It helped once I got to about 15 mph to let go of gas and push again...I also noticed I was getting no charge back to battery. I stopped off at the gym, and when I went to leave the battery started charging again....The fan is running very loud in back as well.....I was able t make it home (charging, all lights on, and fan running)...but I believe its going to drop out again....HV gone bad??? I also have already replaced the 12v previously so ruled out. If I was to buy one outside of dealer, anyone have a sticky or guide on replacing? THIS SUCKS!:eek::mad::mad::mad:

5. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Check out ReInVolt:

Remanufactured Hybrid Vehicle Battery Packs

They are one of the best Hybrid Battery rebuilders. I have one of their batteries in my 2004 Prius.

JeffD

6. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    From their website
    This is great. I am skeptical about the Li-x giving better fuel economy than the NiMH, but it sure solves the problem of aging Prius needing traction batteries not able to find fresh replacements.

Damn those G1 Prius eating up *our* cells :p

7. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Cross Country, the Prius Dismantling Guide contains all the information that you need to remove and install the battery yourself. The main caveat is, you don't need to remove the seat bottom.

It does sound like your HV battery is on the way out. One thing to try in order to prolong the agony, disconnect your 12V for 5 minutes, then reconnect and start the car. If you don't have a cell that is completely dead, you may be able to get another month or two out of it.

8. stu4202

stu4202 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    2005 Prius Base Package just rolled over 140K and still getting 49hwy/50city...no problems with the battery pack yet (knock on wood). This is a well built car and I definitely feel fortunate. Are there any procedures as to checking on the battery pack or is it a don't bother it till it breaks sort of deal.

9. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Stu, Check the "Can the Traction Battery Health be Estimated?" thread in the Main Forum.

10. Cross Country

Cross Country New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok update....Toyota dealership for the hybrid battery swap out is 4000k. I don't have error codes on me but will get them up for everyone. Screw that! Ill check out volt. Anyone checked out hybridbatterydepot.com? They have them for 1400 free shipping and may even buy your old battle.battery. this couldn't have come at a worst time. Middle of home remodel, just bought a new car for wife. And just paid the Prius off!

11. andyman68

andyman68 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just failed on my 2006 last weekend at 116,000 miles so out of warranty in my state. I replaced the car with a 2012 Prius yesterday. I wish the battery warranty was longer, but still love the Prius.

Andy

12. Asmodeus2112

Asmodeus2112 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Our 2006 had it's battery fail with about 30k on it. Next was the transaxle at about 40k. Having been stranded three times before 40k on this car we don't leave town in it. We love the car, just don't trust it.

13. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Sounds like a lemon or something else going on. Transaxle failures are rarer then anything else.

14. PriusGuy32

PriusGuy32 Prius Driver Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Im relieved to hear (in a selfish way) that the traction battery failures seem to be in the HOT climates. Here in Michigan, it does get hot during the summertime, but I am fortunate to be able to park in full shade at work. At home, the car is garaged.

I guess what they say is true..heat does kill a battery! :confused:

15. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Heat kills all batteries by changing the energy storing chemical properties. It is true, because it is true. This is where Bill Nye would jump and scream "Science!"

Also know that charging a cold battery is not good for it. The Prius however makes heat as does charging/discharging. So the only time the battery is cold, is when it is cold outside. And the Prius slowly warms it up and then uses it. So if you are in a climate where it is really really cold, the hybrid battery may be useless for a few minutes as the car tries to warm it back to a healthy temperature.

PriusGuy32 likes this.
  16. PriusGuy32

PriusGuy32 Prius Driver Extraordinaire

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Absolutely! Us Prius owners in the midwest who experience a cold harsh winter and a mild summer dont seem to be having many premature traction battery failures which Im selfishly admit Im happy about :D Of course theres a tradeoff, you guys down south have decent weather almost all year. I cant even make it up to the cabin right now in Northern Michigan because theres too much snow to get in!

17. SAHybridBatteryInstallers

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Don't know if heat kills the battery but I can say my hybrid battery died at 153,000 miles on my 2006 Prius and I live in the South Texas area. Hearing the dealer say it was out of warranty and going to cost $3,800 put such a sour taste in my mouth. So I decided to see if I could replace this myself. After following all the Toyota maintenance manual safety precautions and watching the "how-tos" on You Tube, I was able to do this successfully. It was a very labor intensive job but only cost me $1,700 (re-manufactured battery). I'm so glad I did this myself. If you need help with replacing the battery, don't hesitate to email me or if you don't won't to do this yourself and you live in the South Texas area, let me know and I can do for you for much less: you can reach me at [email protected]. Also on Facebook at SA Hybrid Battery Replacement.

Dino33ca and usnavystgc like this.
  18. dvancleve

dvancleve Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The 2006 my wife mostly drives had the traction battery fail last year at about 93k miles. Looking back, the fuel economy seemed to drop off before it happened, but I would have assumed it was just the way she was driving if the economy wasn't much better after the replacement. We were fortunate to still be under 100K miles, so no cost but still disappointing. FWIW, the only other issue I recall is that the inverter coolant pump failed several years ago and was also covered.

19. EvelynC

EvelynC Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Mine went out last week. 2006 Prius with 140,000. Dealership wanted $3,950. Found a shop to do it with a salvage battery for $1,900 (Used battery, labor, and tax). And got a 14 month warranty out of it. Have to say, the car has more power now than it did when it was new.

Gas mileage was off somewhat before the battery warranty lights went off, but not enough to cause concern. My mileage always drops in colder weather.

This has been the only major repair cost for me to date. (knocking on wood)

20. dcubed

dcubed New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Warranty work is very lucrative for dealerships, it's payout is quantified and guaranteed by Toyota (once certain conditions are met). Why spend time, on the dealership's nickel, to solve a problem inexpensively for the customer, when the dealership can fix it, at no charge to the customer, and at a comfortable profit margin for the dealership?