1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone ever used a 'LeBra' type front end protector for winter grill blocking?

Discussion in 'Prius v Accessories and Modifications' started by RAM v, Jan 13, 2015.

1. RAM v

RAM v Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    With temps below zero a lot up here in the frozen north (Minnesota) I'm looking for something to block the grill to help with engine warmup (and therefore better mileage).
    I was wondering if anyone had ever bought a front end grill/bumper/hood protector like a LeBra and then just cover over behind some or most of the grill areas. I could see modifying it with flaps I could open if needed for cooling like I had on the Fia grill cover I had on my old Ford Escape Hybrid.

Dick

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i don't recall anyone mentioning it. do they make a prius bra?

3. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you take a close look at the ChuggyPig (my 2009 Gen II Prius - see my photo albums) you'll see it wears sort of a mini-bra thingy - it came like it so either the previous owner fitted it, or it was part of the new package. I think it rather spoils the nice lines, but I suppose it does its job protecting the paint and improving the airflow over the windscreen. hope this helps - Wil

4. RAM v

RAM v Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I did find a LeBra for my 2014 Prius v (with a 9-10 week lead time) available several places.

In my case I'm looking to modify it slightly by blocking off some/most of the screened areas over the grill area to make an effective grill block for faster winter warmup. Any paint protection would be an added bonus. I'm not planning on leaving it on year round.

I was just wondering if anyone had done this before - or would I be a pioneer.

Dick

5. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    No, I haven't used one, but yes, they do work. Most of them serve a multi-role as rock-guard and bug-screen as well. They work better than cardboard-on-the-rad, because the fan can compensate better in warm conditions without much air-restriction though the rad.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i suppose it would ooh better than my styrofoam mouth guard.:p

7. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Back to the 80's??? :eek:

If I were worried about such things I'd probably use a clear 3M paint protection coating on the painted surfaces and block the grill with black pipe insulation as many have done in this forum.
    As hokey as it sounds, I've seen them in the wild and if properly done doesn't look bad.

Leather bras can cause more damage than they prevent if they're not properly installed.

Good Luck!

8. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yes, vibration can rub off paint, and moisture and dirt lodged under it can permanently stain it. Sunlight can also give you "tan-lines" around the bra as the paint ages.

9. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Most people use "le pool noodle" and "le pipe insulation", split and applied to the grill fins as blockers.

10. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I prefer cardboard behind the grill and separated from the radiator by at least 3-4", but only when the engine thermostat can't cope with the low temperatures. Doesn't look as homely in my opinion.

11. RAM v

RAM v Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I guess I'll re-check out the pipe insulation route and see if it looks like it will be acceptable appearance-wise.

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there are threads here with pics, i just don't walk around the front of my car in winter.:p