1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone find it hard to buy the Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by wishes, Jul 14, 2006.

1. wishes

wishes New Member

Has anyone ever thought twice about buying it after seeing how much it costs or had cost be the deciding factor of whether to buy the car? Anyone cringe whenever they think of how much money they're shelling out?

For me: I've always been a frugal consumer and this car's really packing a punch to the system...and my wallet. I wonder sometimes if it's worth it (I don't have the car yet), but seeing how many people buying it and everything they say about it makes me believe it is.

It was really hard for me to buy this car when I saw how much I'd be spending on it. But, I know if I wanted to save money, I could've bought a less expensive car, one that just takes me to Point B and back. And, as I weighed it out, if I'm going to be keeping this car for 10+ years, I'd like it to be something that a) I want b ) that's good feature-wise, MPG-wise and in reliability.

Still, I can't believe how much I'm paying for it, but I'm trying hard not to think about it. Hopefully when I actually get the car, I'll just enjoy it and forget about how much of a splurge it was, or how much I could've/would've saved had I bought it earlier. :)

2. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wishes @ Jul 14 2006, 01:42 PM) [snapback]286278[/snapback]</div>
    I was in the same situation as you. I looked at a lot of cars, got the Prius, and love it. 3 weeks of owning that car have been like heaven. You made the right move.

3. B Rad

B Rad New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(wishes @ Jul 14 2006, 12:42 PM) [snapback]286278[/snapback]</div>
    If a person is young and starting out in life, then every purchase should hurt. If it doesn't then you will never be really rich.
    If a person is old, has a very comfortable life and it still hurts. Well old habits die hard!!!!!!

4. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Buying a car is a big financial decsion. The Prius is certainly not the cheapest car you can buy, but I think that many of us would argue (and have argued) that, for the features that you get with the car (even forgetting the fact that it's a Hybrid for now), it's a good deal. Throw in the fact that you use less gas and pollute much less, and you've got a winner.

It seems to me that you've thought about and weighed the right things for you in your situation and you've decided to buy the car. If you feel this way before you own the car, I think you'll feel that way even more strongly after its sitting in your driveway (although, to be honest, it might not be sitting there much since you'll always want to drive it).

Take a deep breath, relax and enjoy the car once you get it.

5. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

If you paid $34,000 for your last car and your prius is costing you $25,000 then it doesn't seem so expensive.

If you can afford a $6000 car and you're buying a $27,000 prius, then welcome to the American Great Debt Experiment. There is nothing more daunting in life than to be pulling page 4 out of a 60 page coupon book and writing another check for $540 with 56 more payments to go...

Get a used Civic.

6. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Do not live above your means, period.

7. SaintStephen

SaintStephen New Member

First time I've ever paid MSRP, but as it's to be used as a company vehicle, and they dictate a four door sedan, it's easier to stomach. Only took two weeks with lots of prodding, which isn't too bad for N. Cali. So far it's pretty weird, but it's my first day.

cheers

8. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daronspicher @ Jul 14 2006, 02:50 PM) [snapback]286329[/snapback]</div>
    Only 5 years? Nice if you can do it.

I need Toyota's fabled reliability working 24/7 to keep my Prius going until it's paid for.

One MFD issue aside, things are still on-schedule...

9. Soylent

Soylent The v isn't a station wagon! It's just big boned

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I am totally dealing with this dilemma now. Should I simply buy a Scion for $16,000 or throw caution to the wind (and money) and buy the $30,000 Prius? If I'm gonna get it, I'm gonna go all out and do package #7....but it's sooooo expensive. Unlike most of Prius chatters I'm not a doctor or lawyer, I only work in I.T., but I still feel like I deserve a nice car.

My reasoning: I drive 2,200 miles a month. That's like 27K per year. In 5 years it'll be over 130,000 miles, so I don't think it will last me ten years :-(

I'd also have to get a 3 year loan :-(

10. wishes

wishes New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daronspicher @ Jul 14 2006, 02:50 PM) [snapback]286329[/snapback]</div>
    Actually, "my" (my dad bought it, FOR me) last car cost $500. I've saved up enough money that I can actually buy the Prius, but it still is a LOT of money! But, you get what you pay for and I AM getting a good car.

Anyway, the American way of living is even if you can't afford it, it's ok because you can just charge it. Seriously, this country is BUILT on credit.

here's a quote I saw once:

"Only Americans have mastered the art of looking prosperous though they are broke." - Author unknown

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Betelgeuse @ Jul 14 2006, 02:00 PM) [snapback]286297[/snapback]</div>
    Thank you, I needed that reassurance. And you're right. I'm sure as time goes on I'll think less about the money and more about actually having a car. :) I've been grounded for 2 going on 3 months! >_<

11. Alnilam

Alnilam The One in the Middle

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NuShrike @ Jul 14 2006, 11:51 AM) [snapback]286330[/snapback]</div>
    That's the best advice. However if it IS in your means, consider the car is going to cost more next year and every year thereafter.

When I was a kid, my folks gave me a quarter every Saturday to go to the movies. It cost 14 cents to get in, 10 cents for a box of popcorn and the final penny got me two little root beer barrels (candy.) I saw two main features, the news, a cartoon and a continuous attraction that got all the kids to return next week. Now it costs about $15 to see one feature and a bunch of ads. (No root beer barrels :( )

Things always seem expensive today but cheap yesterday. Enjoy life as best you can.

12. AAWADKE

AAWADKE New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Soylent @ Jul 14 2006, 02:15 PM) [snapback]286343[/snapback]</div>
    By I.T i assume its Information Technology.......
    So if you feel you are not rich...........Then Me being a Mech Engg should be a pauper.

13. wishes

wishes New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Soylent @ Jul 14 2006, 03:15 PM) [snapback]286343[/snapback]</div>
    I know what you mean. I was considering the Civic (regular, not hybrid) and the Yaris. But, if I was just going to buy a car for the sake of buying a car, than I'd be wasting my money 'cause I'd be getting something that didn't have all the features I wanted/needed and $15-20,000 is STILL a lot of money. Why spend so much money on a car that I wouldn't be 100% happy with? (which is why I've been so picky about color choice - I wanted 100% satisfaction, even in appearance).

Weigh out your options. See if there's a way out of the loan (financing, family assistance, etc). Maybe look into the package you're looking at and see if you REALLY need a pkg 7 (if it's for the navigation, maybe a portable nav system would be better?).

Good luck with your decision and purchase.

14. Duojet

Duojet New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alnilam @ Jul 14 2006, 12:28 PM) [snapback]286350[/snapback]</div>
    I thought this post was about finding it hard to get a Prius, I ordered mine in April, just took delivery this week. The decision wasn't too hard, I foound it the right thing to do. I didn't get what I wanted Colorwise. But I am pleased nontheless. (Could have done without the leather seats).
    I ordered it during my last job, paid MSRP, as the local dealership wanted $2500 over MSRP for same car. One of the Psysicians who drives a flashy sports car was looking at cars on my computer, He was looking for a prius.

My father in law is taking delivery this next week of his Silver Prius package 7. My wife is now wanting one later this year. We could potentially have three Prius' parked in my Garage by years end.

15. santoro1

santoro1 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Soylent @ Jul 14 2006, 03:15 PM) [snapback]286343[/snapback]</div>
    Any Prius is a nice car... Don't kid yourself that you MUST have package 7 to be happy. It has a lot of bells and whistles to be sure. What I didn't want was any buyer's remorse. So, I decided to go for package 4. Down here in Florida leather seats are, IMO, tough on the skin when you wear shorts. I didn't need a voice activated DVD, and my blue tooth device works perfectly with my treo 650, so I didn't need that part of the package. I wanted the back up camera, side curtain air bags, CD player, and I definitely wanted the Vehicle Stablization. Paying 26K, tax, tag, out the door, literally. The 4 K might not seem like a lot, but 26 seems a lot less than 30... BTW, I am a doctor...Your profession means nothing. Get the car that you can afford, AND be happy with. If you MUST have a certain feature than that is that. Don't get the high package just for the sake of getting it. As far as my situation.....The dealership emailed me the VIN, the car is on the ship as we speak, and delivery date is in ten days...Magnetic gray with gray interior. Good luck to you. For what it is worth.. make sure your loan has no prepayment penalty. I always buy my cars, finance them for 3 or 4 years with the intention of paying them off sooner. If you don't, the payments don't stress you out..If you have a good year you can take a good chunk off the loan and be even happier...

16. sl7vk

sl7vk Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alnilam @ Jul 14 2006, 03:28 PM) [snapback]286350[/snapback]</div>
    Dear lord! My intent isn't to be rude.... But are you 95 years old?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(ajs @ Jul 14 2006, 04:01 PM) [snapback]286364[/snapback]</div>
    Magnetic Gray with Gray interior! I love it, and so will you. I got package #3, and make 6 figures. Couldn't justify all the other bells and whistles really.

17. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    it's about striking a balance. you can't put yourself in a situation where any small unplanned event is going to destroy you, but you want something that's going to last and that usually costs more. (and by lasts, i mean something that will be functional for you down the road when you've got a family etc)

or you can do what i do: keep the car in great condition, that way in the current market if you need to bail on your car loan, you can sell for a good price and have enough to pay off your loan. ;)

18. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The Prius was the most expensive car I have ever owned. I did go for the best package and it is on credit. Car and House are not horrible debts, credit cards and department store cards are the worse.

Things to think about:
    1. If doing major miles comfort and gas mileage
    2. Do you need that high priced package or could you get some of that stuff after market...
    3. What are you spending that money on today..I'm better with payments cause I tend to over spend otherwise. Poor financial discipline, so shoot me.

As far as I know, tomorrow could be my last day on earth. Have fun but have a little put aside for the rainy day!

19. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

You're in IT?

Have you figured in the cost of shipping the car to India when your job goes there?

:D

I'm in IT too... I went for the #5 package, 2006 at the point my payoff for everything would be under 6 months. I wanted the gps, but hearing on PC that it kinda sucks and it cost so much to get it in the prius.. I didn't.. scaled back to #5. I ordered a garmin 550c aftermarket gps that should be here monday.

I drive mine 130 miles round trip to work 5 days a week. Given my income and my miles to drive, the prius made a lot of sense to me. If you do the numbers and it really doesn't work, but you still really want the car... I'd have to say, that's gonna be a tough road to walk over time.

Hope you get your prius, but I wouldn't leverage the farm to buy one... it's just a car..

20. NuShrike

NuShrike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alnilam @ Jul 14 2006, 12:28 PM) [snapback]286350[/snapback]</div>
    Consider getting a cheap car, save the rest of after-tax earnings on savings and improved education. Education will then lift you to a new standard-of-living where affording the Prius would be the least of your worries.

I'm in I.T., but not technically since I'm also a real developer/code (vs a IT guy that kinda codes), so one could get the best of both. Then, you'll be able to afford the Prius, and own a nice place to live at the same time.

I too drive ~30K a year, and would be still doing it in a Civic if the crappy Honda exhaust manifold and CVT didn't give out.

But yes, personally I am slightly disappointed that for the amount $$$ paid for a Prius, it doesn't quite equal the satisfaction level of an Integra/RSX nor TSX, except at the gas pump. I'm pretty happy with the GPS, but very disappointed with the "premium" sound system.