1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone getting a PiP whose never had a Hybrid before?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by cycledrum, Jan 27, 2012.

1. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Was just thinking, has anyone ordered or bought (later on from now) a PiP whose never owned a hybrid, or other new technology type of car? :)

Anyone?

:)

2. Tracksyde

Tracksyde Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I've never owned a hybrid or any other "advanced tech" car. My current car is a 05 Infiniti G35 sedan. As much as I like it and enjoy it, I realized long ago it was pretty much a waste for me since I ONLY drive it to and from work (seriously, about 70,000 of its 72,000 miles are just pure commuting). I've kept track of every tank of gas and my car's lifetime average MPG is 18.05. That made it an easy decision to start looking at hybrids.

I was actually all set on getting a Lexus CT. But when the PiP ordering window opened, I quickly changed my mind. I mentioned it here before, but my commute is about 14 miles each way. The PiP seems perfect for my needs. I'm looking forward to my first hybrid.

1 person likes this.
  3. jbrad4

jbrad4 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    This PiP will be my first hybrid. I've looked at and wanted a Prius for years and test drove one on two different occasions. When they announced the Plug-In, that pushed me over the edge and I had to have one. I'm a semi-retired engineer and like geeky things. I'll be 70 this year, and this will probably be my last new car. I'm really looking forward to driving my Plug-In.

2 people like this.
  4. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey, awesome the both of you! It's great to hear your stories. :)

5. RunTellThat

RunTellThat Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    The PIP will be my first hybrid, and it will be a replacement for my previous commuter vehicle - a 1987 Pontiac Fiero SE, 4-cylinder that I've already sold off to another Fiero enthusiast (I still have a 1988 Pontiac Fiero GT that I'm going to maintain for a while).

I decided to go with a base PIP, classic silver metallic. Options I selected were front end protection, door edge guards, floor mats, rear bumper applique, cargo holder, floor mats, and wheel locks. The only mods I have planned for the car include adding Euro mudguards and 17in CT200h wheels - I already have the wheels, just waiting for the car to arrive! I'll prob order the Euro mudguards through the PriusChatShop...

1 person likes this.
  6. iRun26.2

iRun26.2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    Jim,

Congratulations on your purchase! I'm sure you will like it. I too am an engineer but not yet retired. If I live to be that old (which isn't a given) and I have that kind of money available at that age I think I will do the same thing. I wonder what that car will be like, 25 years from now...

7. Kahuna69

Kahuna69 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    First Hybrid and Plug in for me. Have a 2006 Hyundai Tucson and get 20 mpg in city. I average 10 miles a day in city. It was a no brainer to get the Prius. I test drove the Leaf last year and loved it, but it had no options for out of town driving. I loved March because of March Maddness, but now I have something that makes March the best month of the year.:D

1 person likes this.
  8. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I've been longing to read that specific comment.

More times than you could probably ever imagine over the past decade, I've heard comments about Prius being very enticing, but not quite enough. That left me with no worthwhile response other than pointing out the potential later.

Now, it's a reality. Those who have been waiting will begin to emerge. Yeah! Of course, stated as "pushed me over the edge" is an interesting way of putting it.

9. andi1111

andi1111 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    I've been driving pure electric Vectrix motorcycle for more than 3 years now and I've been really looking forward to getting the PiP, but announced EU price kinda turned me down.
    Base EU PiP model 17.000 US$ more expensive than base regular Prius 2012? Who are they kidding?

BTW: For anyone, who doesn't know. Vectrix is an American maxi-scooter and it was sold at a very reasonable price - comparable to the gasoline sized maxi-scotter. I really love it, but circumstance (driving my daughter to daycare) is forcing me to drive by car instead by a motorcycle.

1 person likes this.
  10. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Owning the hybrid first has given me a lot of insite on the general workings and driving techniques, pulse/glide, stealth, running in neutral, etc. I believe all the same techniques can be incorporated to further extend the overall mpg. The real beauty of previously owning a prius is there is NO panic factor, the car never throws me and all things are taken in stride. I look forward to the PIP. I am considering keeping it basically for local driving and using the 2005 prius simply for trips. :welcome: PS : Driving back from Las Vegas yesterday and doing a steady 65mph ( on CC ) my consumption was 53.5 mpg, car has over 105,000 miles on it!

1 person likes this.
  11. usdmattiphone

usdmattiphone Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I've never owned a new car before, always driven something that was 10 years old used, and I have finally gotten fed up with constant repairs and a horrible looking vehicle, it's embarrassing when you want to take out a date but your car looks like you picked it up from a junk heap. I finally am in a place job wise where I can afford a new car, and the PiP was the perfect fusion of my love of highly fuel efficient cars (I currently drive a 97 Honda civic HX), and my extremely nerdy side that loves new tech. I pre-ordered an advanced model and hope that the new car buying process isn't too terribly difficult.

12. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Me, too! Excellent choice! (Air guitar sound!)

13. tarantoga

tarantoga Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    I always had bought used cars - the most expensive one I bought was a minivan for $7000. I am able and like doing small and medium repairs, so driving these cars was cheap and got me better value than buying a new one. So the PIP is my first new car (and I'm in my mid-40s).

This was the first time that a new car offers significant technology jumps from an older used car - that's the reason I am buying the PIP. The main factor for deciding on the PIP over the Volt (or any upcoming plugin like Ford's) is the proven reliability - I see friends driving their Gen1s without any major repairs.

14. bilofsky

bilofsky Privolting Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Chevy Volt
    I drive a very enjoyable 1997 gas guzzler (but only about 5000 miles a year). My previous two cars were Celicas. When I got solar panels, I promised myself that I'd get a plug-in Prius as soon as Toyota made one.

We were in Italy on November 17 and it was a hassle to place the order, but I got it done. The bright side of that is seeing people's reactions when I tell them that I bought a car when we were in Italy.

15. Paladar

Paladar New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm a newbie to hybrids. I hadn't planned on a new vehicle for a few more years, but a car accident that totaled my beloved Mini Clubman (well before its time), had me reassess what I wanted to be driving in the future. I should confess that I'm going into this with blind faith – I've never driven a Prius or even ridden in one. Reading the posts in this forum really helped me make the decision that this is absolutely the right call.

Special thanks to Dianne for all her support!

1 person likes this.
  16. Piprius

Piprius Member of the cult of Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    This will be my first hybrid as well. Interested in seeing if any lingering video game addiction will come into the fore with trying to maximize my "score" for fuel economy.

17. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Without devulging any names, how did you go about ordering? ( while in Italy ) :D

18. DianneWhitmire

DianneWhitmire High PRIUStess

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    I had two clients online Nov 17th ordering from abroad: one was in Angola, one in the Bahamas at the wonderful Atlantis resort!
    :p

Since no one knew when, life marched on!

19. DianneWhitmire

DianneWhitmire High PRIUStess

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Aluminum foil hat and some pipe cleaners.

20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    :welcome:

1 person likes this.