1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone got a bad or damaged EVSE charging cable?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by joeschumi, Jan 31, 2014.

1. joeschumi

joeschumi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Long story short.... Cable that came with the car started acting up recently (not charging, no clicking sound etc etc). Looks like the orange plastic ring inside got damaged. Took it to the dealer and they ordered a new cable under warranty.

To get the new one from the dealer, I have to return back the damaged one. For now, the old cable seems to be working OK but with everyday use, it might go bad. I would like to keep it for the occasional use or just as a spare.
    Trying to see if anyone has a real damaged cable for sale which I can return to the dealer so that I can keep the old one with me. If anyone has any ideas, pl let me know

2. bilbo04096

bilbo04096 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hmmm, that ring thing again.
    Let the dealer replace it and see if the new one includes a ring this time. And maybe you can talk him into letting you keep the original.;)

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there is another thread on the ring problem. just take it out and your fine.

4. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  5. joeschumi

joeschumi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Folks, my question is not about the orange ring or anything.....Dealership ordered a whole new EVSE cable under warranty so I am going to get a new one. For dealership to give the new one to me, they need the old/ damaged cable back. But the old one seems to be working now so I would like to keep that for occasional use.

I am trying to get a damaged cable from some one so that I can return it to the dealer. This way, I will have the new cable for regular use and the old one for occasional use when I go some where.

Question is: How can I get a damaged EVSE cable cheap ?

6. retired4999

retired4999 Prius driver since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I don't remember hearing of anyone have a non-operating charging cable. so far they have been really well made from what I can tell. Someone else may chime in to help, give it some time!
    The orange o-ring is the only thing on a very small percent of cables just a hand full from what I can tell.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    isn't this an attempt to scam the dealer/toyota?(n) i think they would like to test the old one to see what petential defect might affect other evse's and thus save user's from future problems.

radiocycle likes this.
  8. retired4999

retired4999 Prius driver since 2005

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I agree!!!!! (n)

radiocycle likes this.
  9. bilbo04096

bilbo04096 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    That was my concern too earlier. Seems worthwhile seeing if you can simply get the original back from the dealer at some point if he only needs to test it but could then release it back to you. Worth a try.

radiocycle likes this.
  10. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    If you give them an obviously damaged cable it won't be covered under warranty.

11. joeschumi

joeschumi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I had taken the car and cable to the dealer 2 weeks back or so when I had problems with the cable. After doing whatever they are supposed to be doing ( obviously testing the EVSE to see what's wrong with it) they decided to order a new one under warranty.

They know what's wrong with EVSE. I assume that they would have reported it already as part of warranty replacement.

As with any warranty replacement they just need the old part.

12. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    The dealer has to keep the old cable if it's replaced under warranty, just in case Toyota asks for it back for inspection.

13. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Most of us here are still under warranty too, so just like your dealer wants your EVSE back for warranty exchange- our dealers want our cables back also. Not much chance of finding a damaged Toyota EVSE cable for you to turn in other than your own cable..

14. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    If worse comes to worse, they are popping up on eBay.

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that's a dang good price compared to a year ago!

16. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    I offer and paid $350.00 a while ago.....

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    wow, seems like they were just a thousand dollars.(n)

18. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep, it was a pretty big drop in price.

19. DadofHedgehog

DadofHedgehog Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Fellow PiPers: my EVSE cable did go bad after about 17 months of purchase

Factors bearing on my particular EVSE;
    - unless I am traveling, the EVSE lives outdoors on the wall of my house (Northern Virginia) next to the driveway. It is exposed to the elements.
    - I have a Level 2 Leviton 16-Amp EVSE hard-mounted at the same location.
    - I had the OEM EVSE upgraded by EVSEUpgrade in Summer 2012. For me, it made sense since I use our local utility's special low, low EV TOU year-round charging tariff with a separate utility-provided free meter (I paid for the installation). Between 1 AM and 5 AM, the EV rate is 5.3 cents. By contrast, the 6 AM - 10 PM EV TOU charging rate = 17.97 cents. I converted the OEM EVSE for trips, although I never had a chance to use the increased capacity on the road, and I then found the increased capacity very handy during any daytime charging on weekends and holidays in between local errands at the normal house tariff of 11 cents, especially once we bought our other plug-in car and the Son and I were simultaneously charging at times.

Failure: the OEM EVSE quit working. EVSEUpgrade on inspection found the EVSE brick full of water and its contacts etc corroded. EVSEUpgrade told me this was the only EVSE they ever saw that admitted water into the brick.

Result: EVSEUpgrade re-converted my OEM EVSE and Toyota exchanged it under warranty.

Why this post: because OEM EVSEs evidently do fail, rarely (per their reported absence on priuschat) but mine was one of them. It didn't crush me because of our permanent Leviton EVSE on the wall - yet I sympathize with the OP because I did see mine fail.

Note: I have no opinion on the cause of the leaky brick. I think EVSEUpgrade people do a fine job in their upgrades. Maybe my OEM EVSE had a seal defect? Nonetheless, there it is.

Toyota had a replacement EVSE for me in about 10 days. They don't stock them at the local dealership.

20. srl99

srl99 Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Somehow this thread has turned into an EVSE thread, but OK.

I've only found one location where I used a Hack-o-Sonic at 220V on the road. I found an air conditioner style 220V outlet on an old-school EV charging post, where I would occasionally plug in my EV and charge at ~3.8 kW. These days you can buy an open box 16A EVSE in the 300's, so why even bother with the Hack-o-Sonic (EVSE xxgrade)? I'm surprised Toyota took back your EVSE after it had been opened twice and failed due to water infiltration, it points to lack of experience with EVs in general.

All things being somewhat equal, please use UL approved EVSEs, or at least OpenEVSE where there's a community of people looking at its innards to ensure it is safe. The Hack-o-sonic scheme dates from the early LEAFs, when any EVSE was ~$2K, and shrouded in mystery.