1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone got bored of plugging in everyday?

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by tlam47, May 8, 2014.

1. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'm considering setting up two 120 watt solar panels to charge my car. Hopefully the circuitry can adjust to the slower charge rate that must necessarily come from using an inverter.

2. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The numbers aren't in your favor Greg...
    Two 120 watt panels will most likely give you about .8kWh total for the four hours they get direct sun during the summer.
    The PIP needs a bit over 3.2kWh for a full charge at 120v , so under ideal conditions you'll maybe get a 25% charge (about 15 cents worth) from two panels while the PIP's plugged in.

We haven't discussed the infrastructure cost to harvest the 15 cents worth of electricity yet...

I think you would need a minimum of six 250 watt panels to charge the PIP at the common 1200 watt 120v rate for three hrs.

3. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I know, but every bit helps. I wasn't planning to do all my charging with a solar panel. Up here we get about 17-18 hours of sunlight a day in the early summer, so it seems worthwhile.

4. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    it may be 17 hours, but even during the summer solstice, the sun's azimuth is only around 66° way up north in Calgary. Most of the summer's theoretical PV productivity during the early & late part of the day (that far north) will limit output to ¼ the panel's rating. Even your mid day (11:30am - 2:30pm) sun will limit productivity by about 1/3. Thus - 500 watts during your peak summer hours will yield only around 350 actual watts ... and roughly 200 watts during earlier / later hour in the day. Plus conversion losses DC. - AC. Then back to DC again (traction pack storage)

5. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hey if I can gain a few kms while I'm parked, I'm happy. I own the panels for other reasons; I plug them into my RV to charge the batteries.

6. fortytwok

fortytwok Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    "i don't agree with the 'fixed number of charges thing'. the manual simply states that if the light comes on, it's cooked and you need a new one. this can happen to any product. it's a protection mechanism and does not mean they have calculated a specific number. i'm sure they do lifespan testing like any product, and knowing toyota, most are going to last longer than we have the cars. others will fail under warranty and some will fail at different points after warranty. toyota does not have a monopoly on the evse, and of course, you're welcome to repair and re use if you're capable. "

I finally got through to our Boston area Toyota dude - through the dealer. Took many many calls so I was afraid this was a tricky subject...

NO fixed count on charges - and good because I'm already getting up there!
    10 yrs 150k miles like the rest of the "product" but he feels it'll outlive the life of the car

We'll see

Chazz8 likes this.
  7. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The number of charge cycles is fairly well understood. It has mostly to do with electrode deterioration. Well-constructed batteries with robust electrodes generally last a good long time. It also boosts longevity to charge to 85-90% capacity, which I believe is the strategy used in the Prius.

8. Epiphany2000

Epiphany2000 Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Anyone that doesn't like plugging in is welcome to trade their plug-in Prius for my Gen II. If the "inconvenience" of plugging in ever starts to bother me, I'll just think about all the gallons of gas I didn't have to buy.

rxlawdude likes this.
  9. NJBuilder

NJBuilder New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Bored? It's been 3 wholes days that my wife and I had it. We have been plugging it in all the time.

10. fortytwok

fortytwok Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    "The number of charge cycles is fairly well understood. It has mostly to do with electrode deterioration. Well-constructed batteries with robust electrodes generally last a good long time. It also boosts longevity to charge to 85-90% capacity, which I believe is the strategy used in the Prius."

my bad
    I wasn't clear earlier - I as referring to the charging cord which some suspected would die after a fixed number of charges... Apparently thats not the case and they'll replace it within 10 yrs 150k

rxlawdude likes this.
  11. DLee

DLee Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Another way to heat would be to use the A/C system as a heat pump. That may be more efficient than electric resistance heat.

drash likes this.
  12. Michael33

Michael33 Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    The prototypes had a heat pump. They dropped it because of cost. It *is* the way to go, as long as you realize it will only work well down to maybe the mid teens Fahrenheit. That's why the Leafs with heat pumps, like mine, also have electrical resistance heaters. In the case of the PIP I would expect them to possibly offer a heat pump as an option, and tell you that if it's colder than 20F, you'll have to run the ICE. They could also offer just a resistance heater, and tell you it will work at any temp, but will use up charge rapidly. I doubt you'd see a combination of the two.