1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone got ticket for tint windows?

Discussion in 'Prius c Accessories and Modifications' started by NewYorkan, May 2, 2014.

1. NewYorkan

NewYorkan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I'm thinking about 50% front and 35% rear, but afraid that I'm going to get a ticket. I used to have a gray buick with extremely dark tint. Never got tickets for the tint. It was so dark that I actually hated it. I never got pull over, but I got parking ticket, and one time the neighbor call the cop on me. I park in opposite direction in front of my apartment, but it was a private driveway in multi apartment complex. The cop called me to turn my car around. He never say anything about the tint. But that was about 10 year ago, so the situation can be different now. Beside, I don't live in NY city, but I come to the city about every 2 week. I never trust the cop there.

I had silver C with black leather. So far, the hottest day for year was 75F, but I already had AC on when temp in the 60s, and full blast at 75F. I tried to have my windows down instead of AC, but the hot sun still beat the window. Can't image driving this car when the weather in the 80 or 90. I got a quote for $185 all windows except windshield. Llumar tint and life time warranty. I think it is very good deal. It just the tickets that hold me back.

2. SwhitePC

SwhitePC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I've had 5% windshield strip, 5% small front windows, 35% big front windows and 5% back for a year now w/o any trouble (knock on wood)...I like that the contrasts of a limo 5% back makes the 35% look not that illegal (actually sometimes make it not look dark enough). Drivability/visability isn't a problem even at night for me with the 35% in the front and the limo tint actually acts pretty good as a headlight glare reducer at night.

I'd say if you're going to do a illegal tint in front mirrors, go for a darker rear tint to contrast it. I've seen cars that are tinted one "pretty sure illegal in the front" shade all around...and that to me just would be screaming for too much attention.

3. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    A friend of mine went to visit his ex-wife, and he got a ticket from her husband, a cop for excessive tint on his car windows. He fought it successfully in court, but it cost him some time. He had some sort of medical exemption (for sunburn) that allowed him to have the tint. I'd say if you want to get away with tinted windows, find a doctor who can sign a medical exemption for you. That might be your best bet.

mertechperformance likes this.
  4. B2FiNiTY

B2FiNiTY Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    It's hit or miss. Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes you don't. You gotta pay to play.

5. sdtundra

sdtundra Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    In my 08 I got one for tint…that was a white car with 5% all around.

6. DKTVAV

DKTVAV Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four

5% for windshield: how can you see clearly to drive? I have 70% (shop recommended 50% but it's to dark to me) and it's already dark at night, day time is fine.

7. SwhitePC

SwhitePC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Four

I meant 5% windshield strip, lol

8. striker308

striker308 Three time Prius owner

Evans, NY (USA) / South Williamsport, PA (USA)
    Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Had tint on mine for two years before getting a ticket for it by a "trainee" new cop. I just took it off instead of paying the $175 it would have cost me.

9. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    What someone needs to come up with is an affordable electronic LCD tint window, which would be automatically or manually adjustable to any tint you want. I can't believe it would be all that challenging, because such windows have been around (at least in the prototype stage) for over 30 years.

striker308 likes this.
  10. kingnba6

kingnba6 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    im in NY, i keep all my cars tinted in the front and rear. i havent gotten a ticket yet but it can happen anyday. you have to pay inorder to play.

11. NewYorkan

NewYorkan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Do you know what percent are your tint?

I may talk to the tint shop to see how much cop attractive to tint now. Back in couple years, tint tickets like never heard of. I guess the gov got low budget last couple years due to bad economy, they just find new way to make up income.

If the ticket are too bad nowaday, I just have to go with legal limit 70% front and 35% rear. Hope the car doesn't look stupid. But the most important thing is, can 70% tint block the sun?

12. kingnba6

kingnba6 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    i believe mine is around 5% in the back and like 15? in the front?

13. KhaPhoRa

KhaPhoRa Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    One of the first things I do when I get a new (to me) car is tint everything but the windshield. In over 20 years of this (living in four states including NY) I've never been pulled over for tint, and the few times I have been pulled over for other reasons the subject of tint never came up. Obviously others haven't been so lucky and someday mine may run out, but I'm not a criminal, I'll deal with the issue if it happens.
    Remember, police aren't afraid of tint, they get concerned for their safety when someone who just got pulled over doesn't use common sense and make themselves and any passengers visible. Immediately roll down all windows, turn on the interior light if at night and put your hands on your wheel - all before the officer gets to your car. Be respectful but not nice person-kissy, talk to them like they're human (they are) and remember they are working and at the end of the day they want to go home to their families in one piece and they will respond (sometimes not in a good way) if they perceive that goal is being threatened. If you ever do get a real prick, don't think you can fix him. Do whatever necessary to end the stop as soon as possible and deal with it after the fact to whatever extent you feel is warranted. You won't win on the side of the road.

14. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Cops need more training in de-escalation techniques. Even on shows like Cops, you can sometimes see how a situation could have been handled without resorting to excessive force.
    -Sorry for the digression.

striker308 likes this.
  15. NewYorkan

NewYorkan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Wow, they are really dark. I think I will be OK with 50% and 35%.

100% agree on this. I got myself out of ticket couple times by this trick. One for speeding 80 mph on garden state parkway, and another time turn left at green light without yield. I wasn't pay attention at red light, and follow the car in front of me when the light turn green. The cop was one of the cars that I cut from the opposite direction. I was expecting a ticket on both cases, but suprisingly, they both let me go. I did exactly what you said. Doesn't matter day or night, it is still good to let the cop know that you don't have any weapon by put your hand on the wheel. This trick I learn from a retire cop that teaching my defensive diving course. That course worth the money. I didn't get any tickets for last 10-15 year using this trick.

Also, learn from my mistake. DO NOT reach over the glove box to get your insurance car or register card. They will think you are getting a gun. That will piss them off big time. 100% ticket for sure. I done that when I was in high school. The cop came up with his gun out. LOL. My insurance stuff still in the glove box, but I alway asked for his permission before reach over.

RepublicanPIP2014 likes this.
  16. SwhitePC

SwhitePC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    35% front 5% back

definitely would stand out to any a-hole cop, but for the most part the contrast of 35 to 5 makes the 35 seem not that bad...and it's a prius

Attached Files:

17. Fauxknight

Fauxknight Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I worked with a kid who received several warnings and at least on ticket on his tint (on illegal tint he had signed off on at the installer). When I was a kid my parents received a warning as well (on perfectly legal tint). All warnings/tickets were received in the nicer/more well to do suburbs. Where you live will make a big difference on whether the cops care or not. Getting a warning on legal tint was a little odd, but at least any ticket on it could have been argued off in court.

18. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Somehow I doubt that tinting would be such a big deal if there weren't laws against it.

19. NewYorkan

NewYorkan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    The tint guy said that 50% is too light. I end up tint 35% front and 20% back. I regret that it a little to dark for me. Not too bad from the inside, but from the oustside, it is really dark sometime depend on the sun direction. The car really cool down a lot. If I don't get a ticket, the tint probably will pay so itself from saving the AC.

I saw your silver C from other post. How the plasticdip on the front bumper hold up? I look it up and it really cheap to do it about $10. This will be my final mod for my silver C. By the way I like your C, you did a good job.

20. kingnba6

kingnba6 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    One

the plastidip is still holding up after 500 miles. and thank you.

21. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'll stick to the sunglasses. If it's gets too hard to see, I can take them off, unlike a tinted window.