1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Anyone gotten GPS coordinates from onboard nav?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by electricitylikesme, May 6, 2008.

1. electricitylikesme

electricitylikesme New Member

Has anyone here had a crack at pulling the GPS coordinates from the factory navigation system?

Based on everything I've read, I'm fairly sure they don't get output on any of the in-car networks however I've been led to believe that there may be some contactable points inside the nav unit where a serial data stream from the GPS chipset can be extracted.

Has anyone tried this? Does anyone know what trace I might find the data from, and is it really just a serial data stream (i.e. can I put it through a MAX232 level changer and send it into my car PC for purposes I don't know yet)?

2. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I'm not even sure what you just asked. Wish I could help.
    Are you talking about downloading a track log, or such? Or downloading saved waypoint co-ordinates for computer display use?

3. electricitylikesme

electricitylikesme New Member

Basically has anyone taken the cover off the nav system and had a look at what GPS chipset it uses? Or, even better, experimented with directly accessing the data pins on the chipset?

4. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I haven't opened the nav unit, but you can get latitude and longitude from the screen visually.

5. eclipse3g

eclipse3g Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Is the GPS elevation readout available on the MFD?

6. 9G-man

9G-man Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no